Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Passenger wrote: »
    Having a bottle of this years Two Hundred Fathoms. Just as rich and delicious as it is on draught and still better then last years release imo.

Brave having it this early in the day:), it is lovely though....

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Went to the Gasworks pub, absolutely awful selection outside of GBB beers. Two of about 4 rotational taps were finished. Drank a can of stone and a punk. Sorry it's a little off topic but their pubs have had a fairly shocking selection the last few times I've visited.
    Can of Perler for Svin was quite enjoyable and more bitter than I expected.
    Siren Yulu - not a big fan of this, found it too watery and not enough tea flavour.
    Has anyone tried Brosé yet by Beavertown?

• zateckiy.JPG

1 Litre Can is great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Went to the Gasworks pub, absolutely awful selection outside of GBB beers. Two of about 4 rotational taps were finished. Drank a can of stone and a punk. Sorry it's a little off topic but their pubs have had a fairly shocking selection the last few times I've visited.
    Can of Perler for Svin was quite enjoyable and more bitter than I expected.
    Siren Yulu -  not a big fan of this, found it too watery and not enough tea flavour.
    Has anyone tried Brosé yet by Beavertown?
    The selection is getting worse. 
    I was in beer traders last night, they served me up a glass of uncarbonated lemon drop IPA from 8 degrees. I complained but the barman said 'thats the way its been all week, so its supposed to be like that.'
    The staff in this bar seem to be always new and they have a clue about any of the beers they are selling. The barman thought lemon drop was a sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The selection is getting worse. 
    I was in beer traders last night, they served me up a glass of uncarbonated lemon drop IPA from 8 degrees. I complained but the barman said 'thats the way its been all week, so its supposed to be like that.'
    The staff in this bar seem to be always new and they have a clue about any of the beers they are selling. The barman thought lemon drop was a sour.

It's a pity what it turned into but it's a symptom of what the the company is from top to bottom, so many people have left them recently.

• Advertisement

It's a pity what it turned into but it's a symptom of what the the company is from top to bottom, so many people have left them recently.

Heard this has been happening alright and it's clearly reflected in their pubs. Never go to the dark horse near me anymore, awful pub. Also agree that the staff are not the best at all in their pubs. Regardless of knowledge of beer, basic manners are also lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

funny the dark horse is the one pub of their's where I see the least turn over of staff.

brew dock went down the toilet when Rachel left. heard she was in beer traders for a while but it's kinda out of the way/ nothing pulling me towards dun laoghaire for me to go there that often. she wouldn't let bar staff think lemon drop is a sour :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Heard this has been happening alright and it's clearly reflected in their pubs. Never go to the dark horse near me anymore, awful pub. Also agree that the staff are not the best at all in their pubs. Regardless of knowledge of beer, basic manners are also lacking.

At least I'm not the only one that finds that about the staff. Some of the rudest people I've ever seen in a service industry. They way the speak to some people especially tourists is a disgrace. The odd person is sound and seems interested in their job but that's it. Their selection has gone to hell too and prices rising. Been giving their bars a miss the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I see Cloudwater DIPA v13 has arrived in Ireland today. What is the delay with getting beers like this across the water? It about 6 weeks since it went on sale in the UK and almost two months since it was canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

RonanC wrote: »
    I see Cloudwater DIPA v13 has arrived in Ireland today. What is the delay with getting beers like this across the water? It about 6 weeks since it went on sale in the UK and almost two months since it was canned.

The good people of Baggot Wines got me a load of their stuff last month, very tasty but agree with slowness of getting them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Is it on tap anywhere you know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Passenger wrote: »
    Is it on tap anywhere you know of?

Not yet.

Regarding the v13, it's a bit much to be selling the cans for €7.50 (in Bradleys) given that the BBE date is two weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Lagunitas 12th of Never, a lot nicer than I was expecting. 4 for a tenner in O Brien's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Not yet.

Regarding the v13, it's a bit much to be selling the cans for €7.50 (in Bradleys) given that the BBE date is two weeks away.

I think that's a new trend with some craft beers, particularly hoppy beers. I think it ties in with the whole "Born to Die" thing, as in they're only giving a best before of around 2-3 months of the bottling date.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think that's a new trend with some craft beers, particularly hoppy beers. I think it ties in with the whole "Born to Die" thing, as in they're only giving a best before of around 2-3 months of the bottling date.

Only a good thing in my view, I've been stung in the past lifting bottles of IPA in a rush and finding they're 11 months old when I get home (but still in date for another month).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish_goat wrote: »
    Only a good thing in my view, I've been stung in the past lifting bottles of IPA in a rush and finding they're 11 months old when I get home (but still in date for another month).

Yeah I think it's a good thing too. Just putting on a Best Before date for a year after a beer is bottled can be misguiding for hoppy beers and beers that fair better after some aging. A "Bottled On" date is much better imo, but it needs to be clearly marked to save confusion.

Will definitely be giving this a miss at that price. V12 wasn't even very good. Where are they going with their prices. I bought a can of tasty juice for €6.75 and it was excellent but it's prohibitively expensive for repeated purchase and it's happening with a few too many beers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Crafty American style wheat ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just after cracking opening a bottle of General Humbert Lager by Reel Deal. An interesting brew, soft but with a good bit of flavour. Definitely a good introduction to Irish beers and it's good to see a non IPA as well.

As an aside I noticed that he bottle is numbered 001; have I just ruined a collectors item? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I was in against the grain tonight. Seemed to have a decent selection. Two weeks ago I was in Alfie Byrnes and the selection there was the best I've seen in any of the pubs.

Brewdock on the other hand has gone down a good bit. Ever since the beer market they've seemed to have gotten confused I think.

• Advertisement

Just after cracking opening a bottle of General Humbert Lager by Reel Deal. An interesting brew, soft but with a good bit of flavour. Definitely a good introduction to Irish beers and it's good to see a non IPA as well.

As an aside I noticed that he bottle is numbered 001; have I just ruined a collectors item? :)

Of course not, beer is made to be consumed, keep the bottle maybe.

Anyone try Hope's new Summer IPA? Hearing good things but haven't had the chance to sample it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I was in against the grain tonight. Seemed to have a decent selection.
    One if the better ones, but lately every time I go in, their guest taps are dry and full sail can't be relied upon anymore.

One if the better ones, but lately every time I go in, their guest taps are dry and full sail can't be relied upon anymore.

Buried at sea is also not the beer it once was

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Trond wrote:
    Anyone try Hope's new Summer IPA? Hearing good things but haven't had the chance to sample it yet...

Just polished off a bottle.. Very nice! I'll be buying again. Hope are churning out some tasty beers lately. Oatmeal I.P.A is lovely too.

ianob7 wrote: »
    Just polished off a bottle.. Very nice! I'll be buying again. Hope are churning out some tasty beers lately. Oatmeal I.P.A is lovely too.

+1 for the oatmeal ipa. I tried their stout and their sour recently, both very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Having a side by side 200 Fathoms of this year's version and last year's.

I agree with most posts that this years Fathoms is good bit upon release last year's one was better (while we're on the subject, the year before was even better)

My review to the lads earlier went as follows:

Chalk and cheese

This year's one has a strong almost nail varnish smell of spirits from it. I'm guessing they're different kind of barrels this year. It's still very green, though it's quite light and drinkable. It feels more boozy than last year's one but on its own I'm very impressed.

Last year's one however, is so smooth it's like velvety liquid. A little on the thick side with a hint of treacle on the nose that some imperial stouts have. Super impressive..

I have more '17 bottles to age and also one more '16, but the sheer class of the '16 version completely outshined tonight

Buried at sea is also not the beer it once was

I've never got the "hype" with it. Its crying out for a higher abv. I find it almost watery.

Stormy Port whilst not as sweet and obviously not a stout is a far better beer imo.

Trond wrote: »
    I've never got the "hype" with it. Its crying out for a higher abv. I find it almost watery.

Stormy Port whilst not as sweet and obviously not a stout is a far better beer imo.

That's fair enough but we mean GBB appear to have changed their recipes lately and their core range have deteriorated alot since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

16B242-Rascals-8.01-Mint-Chocolate-Stout-33cl-Can.png

Rascals 8:01 Mint Choc Stout

Reassessed my opinion of this. Having a can of it now and it's nicer then I remember. The mint however, is still fairly moderate.

Advertisement