Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

That's fair enough but we mean GBB appear to have changed their recipes lately and their core range have deteriorated alot since.

Ah ok. Agree completely. Full Sail in particular is different since the new head brewer took over last year.

Haven't had Foam and Fury in ages has that changed much?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Trond wrote: »
    Ah ok. Agree completely. Full Sail in particular is different since the new head brewer took over last year.

Haven't had Foam and Fury in ages has that changed much?

It's changed but was more due to the cost of the hop mix than the new brewer.

It changed for the better in bottle at least imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

beer_379634.jpg

Magic Rock Common Grounds Triple Coffee Porter

Dark fruits, dark chocolate, a distinctive coffee flavour, smooth, medium bodied and just an overall enjoyable sup. Must try more from this brewery.

stone-coffee-milk-stoutpw.jpg

Stone Coffee Milk Stout

Some lovely distinctive flavours in this. A tad watery but the pleasant sweet milky aftertaste makes up for it imho. 5% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Thought it was just my palate getting jaded that Full Sail is nothing like what it used to be,used to be my favourite sup,that finish.
    Kinnegar my go to Irish brewery now,Rustbucket and crossroads in particular.levels above a lot of other Irish breweries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Metal man ironmonger...not a bad IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

McGargles double IPA

I'm glad I only have one bottle, not from the taste/quality but due to the ABV. 8% in something this easily drinkable would be very very dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭allenview

Magic rock high wire.

10252-22334-v4_product_img.jpg

Stone Ruination Double IPA

Delicious stuff. Big on hops, full of flavour, medium to full bodied and nice and juicy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oskar Blues Death By Coconut. It's like a dark chocolate Bounty in liquid form and is amazingly good.

• Advertisement

SK_Bottleshot_2014Edit_WEB-reflectionTrans.png

Victory Brewing Storm King Imperial Stout

9.2% ABV. Never heard of Victory Brewing until I picked this up during the week. Been on a bit of a Porter inclination lately and this is very good. Smooth and chocolatey and most enjoyable.

2015_xocoveza_bottle_2.png

Stone Xocoveza Winter-Spiced Mocha Stout

A delicious Stout that you really have to be in the mood to enjoy. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa, espresso blended together perfectly. Sweet, silky and flavoursome. 8.1% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Running the Derry Marathon next weekend, can anybody tell me if there's any good offos to visit where I might pick up some beers not readily available around Dublin? Thanks!

Had some Lagunitas Brown Sugga last night. Still not sure what to make of it. When cold it was nearer to an IPA than a dark ale. At room temp it was more like a barley wine. Not necessarily a bad thing. I preferred it when it warmed up. No surprise given it's 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

L1011 wrote: »
    McGargles double IPA

I'm glad I only have one bottle, not from the taste/quality but due to the ABV. 8% in something this easily drinkable would be very very dangerous

7.1%. On tap in Leixlip. Always gives me a hangover, even if it's just the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

n97 mini wrote: »

7.1% is the "Big Banging"
    This was the 8% "Double Banging"

There's a more reasonable ABV "Single Banging" also, can't remember the specifics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    "Single Banging"
    "Little Bangin'", since we're being like that ;) 3.8% ABV.

Think I prefer the Big Banging to the Double. Even with the higher % there's something lacking in the Double imo.

Picked up a couple bottles of the 8% ABV Double Bangin' in Tesco earlier. €3 for 500ml. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I really liked the Double Bangin. The best beer that I've had from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

n97 mini wrote:

Where in Leixlip is it on tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Where in Leixlip is it on tap?

Murphy's. The main bar, not the small one next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Coffee and Cigarettes by Brewdog and Beavertown earlier in the week. I opened it a bit cold and for the first couple of sips there was loads of smokiness up front but just a small bit of sweet coffee at the end. But as it warmed up (and I think I got used to the front loaded smokiness) it really opened up and became a lovely beer.

matrim wrote: »
    Had a Coffee and Cigarettes by Brewdog and Beavertown earlier in the week. I opened it a bit cold and for the first couple of sips there was loads of smokiness up front but just a small bit of sweet coffee at the end. But as it warmed up (and I think I got used to the front loaded smokiness) it really opened up and became a lovely beer.

Sweeneys in Glasnevin currently have this, 200 Fathoms and KBS in stock....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Snake dog IPA, 7.1%. Not bad at all
    But Founders Centennial IPA 7.2% is bloody nice...and not usually a fan of Founders offerings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Cloudwater DIPA v13. Very nice, reminds me of beers from The Alchemist (guys who make Heady Topper). More specifically, Focal Banger-esque.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Sierra Nevada Side Car Orange Pale Ale

The orange is about right , a really good pale ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

jh79 wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Side Car Orange Pale Ale

The orange is about right , a really good pale ale.

Big fan of the Sierra boys but underwhelming after trying 21st Amendment Blood Orange. If you can get a can, try it.

Couple of 200 Fathoms deep but impressed with Boynes imperial stout. More of a bitter stout than the 200 Fathoms but v smooth given the abv. (10.8%).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Founders Dirty Bastard. Incredible. Nothing else to say.
    Also had a Fresh Prince of Kildare which was really good and hid it's 9% really well.

Advertisement