Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hobgoblin..... Yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

aaronm13 wrote:
    Founders Dirty Bastard. Incredible. Nothing else to say. Also had a Fresh Prince of Kildare which was really good and hid it's 9% really well.

Did you pick up that fresh Prince in an offy or on tap??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

ianob7 wrote: »
    Did you pick up that fresh Prince in an offy or on tap??

On tap in 57 The Headline. Is it in off licences?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Loving the new clatter of cloudy style IPAs that are doing the rounds at the moment. Cloudwater NW DIPA Citra, Lervig - Tasty Juice IPA and Lervig - Perler for Svin IPA are by far my favourites. Lervig - Supersonic is great too.
    The style reminds me of a few beers that I had in NY last year, the likes of Singlecut Beersmiths - Billy 18-Watt IPA or to a lesser extent Peak Organic - The Juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had 8 Degrees Cumulus Lupulus last night, awful, tasted of sweat and onion.

Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo, grand but didn't get anything particularly tropical about it.

Whiplash High Cotton, a Grapefruit Belgian pale ale, very easy drinking, nice grapefruit bitterness came through too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Cloud water DIPA was delicious. Easing into a YellowBelly 3.5% Sour now. Sierra Nevada Cherry Chocolate Stout for later with Odell Brewing Flemish Giant, Peeler for Svin IPA, because its bank holiday Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

beer_40544.jpg

Founders KBS

Delicious stuff. Near perfection. Dare I say, I prefer it to Two Hundred Fathoms. It's smoother and richer imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Picked up a few cans of BrewDog Semi - Skimmed Occultist. Very nice stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

In Nerja at the moment and Lidl have Shepherd Neame 1698 for 99c. My favourite ale, so win win for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,646 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tried the Heineken H41 "wild Patagonian yeast" product. It doesn't taste like a lager. Not quite sure what it tastes like but I won't be re-buying. Didn't drink Heineken normally anyway but decided to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    Tried the Heineken H41 "wild Patagonian yeast" product. It doesn't taste like a lager. Not quite sure what it tastes like but I won't be re-buying. Didn't drink Heineken normally anyway but decided to try it.

I think it's aimed at people who want more than a lager but think that they don't like "ale".

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭yknaa

L1011 wrote: »

Tried this last week and loved it! However I didn't love the price pitch at €6.90!
    Super beer though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Cazale wrote: »

Absolutely delicious. Definitely up there with KBS. Brew dog stouts are never a disappointment.

Tried some sierra Nevada sidecar and founders azteca ipa. The sidecar was a let down as there was absolutely nothing profound about It's taste but I'd like to give it another go.

The azteca was interesting, fresh and crisp, like a more flavoursome 'all day ipa'.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cazale wrote: »
    Absolutely delicious. Definitely up there with KBS. Brew dog stouts are never a disappointment.

Going to have to give this another go as I thought it was only pretty average. For an 8%er I thought it was a bit thin, and certainly nothing close to the same level as KBS.

Semi-Skimmed Occultist is a fine stout. I really enjoyed it. But it's nowhere near the quality of KBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Passenger wrote: »
    Semi-Skimmed Occultist is a fine stout. I really enjoyed it. But it's nowhere near the quality of KBS.

I dont think they are exactly in competition tbf. Very different stouts in style. Both have their place.

Trond wrote: »
    I dont think they are exactly in competition tbf. Very different stouts in style. Both have their place.

Of course.

Having a couple of bottles of Bush Belgian beer. Enjoyable enough but I've had nicer. 10.5%.

blacks-of-kinsale-worlds-end-featured.jpg

Blacks World's End Imperial Stout

The vanilla permeates through this stout. It's nicely done, not overly sweet and an espresso note that gives it a lovely kick. One of the best stouts from an Irish brewery imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sierra Nevada Sidecar an Orange Pale Always.
    It tasted like a lager with a drop of orange in it. Couldn't finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Stone Delicious IPA, and indeed it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Just cracked open a 2015 Sierra Nevada Narwhal, fabulous so far. Velvety rich smooth mouthfeel, heavy chocolate aroma and lovely hit from the alcohol. Definitely a sipper though at 12.9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sonicstrav

New beers in Lidl from the UK:
    Hogs Back Gardeners Tipple: Bland brown bitter...plain stuff...bit of caramel...light twigs - that's it

Glamorgan Welsh Pale: Simple pale ale...light sweet pale malt...light hops...again bland but better than the Hogs Back

Hopdaemon Skrimshandler: Head dissipated completely away to nothing on pouring....fizzy mouthfeel like a cider....some fruity caramel with bit of citrus...wasn't right...2/3 down the drain

Hatherwood The Ginger Grizzly: Fizzy alcopop, very harsh burning ginger, sugars. Not a beer. Thrown out. Garbage.

None of these are great at - maybe excess stock from UK they are trying to get rid of

Got a box of 750ml Leffe in Lidl at €3 a bottle. Going down very well tonight.

2016 KBS, totally different to the narwhal.

Nice mouthfeel, but not as rich or thick.

Hell of a lot more coffee upfront, overwhelmingly so. Some vanilla and chocolate undertones but the main taste is coffee and no hint of Bourbon.

Its nice, but not as complex as the narwhal and not as deep or flavoursome as 200 fathoms due to the coffee flavour

Probably ranks 3rd of those three for me, with Brooklyn special ops the only other imperial stout in consideration at this level for me

Narwhal is good value considering the quality.

Passenger wrote:
    Narwhal is good value considering the quality.

What does it retail at in Dublin? Th rbottle I had tonight was a gift last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

ciaran76 wrote:
    Sierra Nevada Sidecar an Orange Pale Always. It tasted like a lager with a drop of orange in it. Couldn't finish it.

Aye, wasn't a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

sonicstrav wrote:
    Hopdaemon Skrimshandler: Head dissipated completely away to nothing on pouring....fizzy mouthfeel like a cider....some fruity caramel with bit of citrus...wasn't right...2/3 down the drain

Tried it last weekend. Pretty awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

VW 1 wrote: »
    What does it retail at in Dublin? Th rbottle I had tonight was a gift last year

Around a fiver IIRC.

Advertisement