Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

@ipso didn't make it. Beers were too good at Tempest. Strolled up to Mikkeller and the menu was a beer sommelier's dream.

@matrim I found it hard to leave. It may repeat on me tomorrow :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Chimay Grande Reserve...yay!!
    But at 9am...boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

200 fathoms and kbs 2017 for fathers day.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Had the new Guinness wheat beer, liked it but would only buy if on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Dragged out to the westend shopping centre in Blanchardstown by herself. I had forgotten about the fact Wetherspoons is here.. result!

A very enjoyable pint of Jaipur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

bourbon_milkshake_1.png

Siren Bourbon Milkshake Imperial Bourbon Milk Stout with Vanilla

Sweet and creamy imperial stout with a subtle bourbon note that blends in deliciously. 11% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bought some beers last night, which is rare for me. I tend to drink wine and spirits. But I just had a craving...

Magic Rock Salty Kiss Gooseberry Gose - adore this beer, the balance of flavours is just great

Magic Rock High Wire Grapefruit - fresh, crisp, really enjoyed it

Yellowbelly - For Whom the Sour Trolls Citra Sour - nice, a bit too "beery" for my liking

Magic Rock Common Ground Coffee Porter - I like maltiness and porters, but this was a bit too strong on the coffee front

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sonicstrav

irish_goat wrote: »
    Rascals Project Sour #4 (blood orange). €10.10 a pint in The Brew Dock! Glad I asked for a sample before committing. It's grand sour but the orange only really comes out in the aftertaste. Didn't bother getting a glass.
    Won't pay those prices at all. Just a rip off - rather do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sonicstrav

Had a bottle last night of Ultimate Revenge, a 7% abv porter from Kelly's Mountain Brew.

First time trying anything from that particular brewery. Quite impressed. Was lucky I had an extra hour in bed this morning!

Tempted to have a small bottle of Narwhal tonight, but it's getting a bit late. Might save it to kick off the weekend.

The Reality Bytes DIPA at 7% isn't bad at all, more a malty caramel orange than full on bitter hops like Francis Banging DIPA. I thought the porter came across as an old ale - stout hybrid, bit unusual

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sierra Nevada - Narwhal (355 ml bottle)
    Blacks Kinsale - World's End (500 ml btl)

As great as expected.

Independent Brewing Co. (Ceathrú Rua, contae na Gaillimhe). Féile an Dóilín. The lad behind the bar told me he thought it was "some kind of lager", but it definitely tasted more like a pale ale. I had 2 pints just to make sure. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

Is there anyone willing to split with me cost of 12 cans of cloudwater delivered from brewery to Dublin.
    €70 is little bit more the i want to spend but 35€for six cans( tremendous ideas included) doesn't sounds that bad.

Let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Had a bottle of Lervig Black Acid the other night - a Stout & Lambic blend, aged in Aquavit barrels.

Pretty good tbh, if not a little strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Drinking a can of arrogant bastard. The hops fairly hit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Whiplash Surrender to the Void... excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Fiesta Pale ale from Brehon , nice beer. Very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

IMG_2026-e1495460771517-510x510.jpg

Northern Monk - Other Half Patrons Project

Described as a Morello Cherry & Peruvian Coffee Imperial Porter, this tastes nothing like it's 10% ABV. It's smooth and chocolatey with a hint of cherry in the aftertaste. Fantastic full body and good carbonation. Picked it up in Fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Passenger wrote:
    Described as a Morello Cherry & Peruvian Coffee Imperial Porter, this tastes nothing like it's 10% ABV. It's smooth and chocolatey with a hint of cherry in the aftertaste. Fantastic full body and good carbonation. Picked it up in Fresh.

Passenger wrote:
    Northern Monk - Other Half Patrons Project

Picked a can up in O'Briens Naas last night. Looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Brewdog - pump action poet. Great beer, nice fruit flavour but really crisp finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Brewdog - pump action poet. Great beer, nice fruit flavour but really crisp finish.

Really? I found it overly malty and the stone fruit barely noticeable.

Really? I found it overly malty and the stone fruit barely noticeable.

Didn't get much malt from it at all. I liked that the fruit was fairly subtle but there. Thought it also had the typical simcoe and amarillo hop flavour and aroma you get from a lot of Brewdog beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I found it lovely too and peachy in flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Hated pump action poet. Didn't feel like an IPA at all

Best NEIPA so far goes available in Ireland goes to Beavertown Humuloid! Lervig Tasty Juice isn't far on the 2nd spot but still. Humuloid is fantastic

snowblind wrote: »

Best NEIPA so far goes available in Ireland goes to Beavertown Humuloid! Lervig Tasty Juice isn't far on the 2nd spot but still. Humuloid is fantastic

Nahh bro, cloudwater is the best.

transik wrote: »

Nahh bro, cloudwater is the best.
    That's like, your opinion man. 
    They've been good for sure but none as good as those two

Now drinking a Buxton King Slayer, bottled 8 days ago. It's excellent
    Love the bottling dates on Buxton beers. Was gonna pick up a different one at first, but that one was from early April. Wish more breweries would do this!

Well cloudwater is sold out pretty much everywhere.
    Lervig still on shelfs.

Cloudwater is on top of their game, they getting strong recognition from the industry, and i my opinion and many others noone can touch them in europe.
    Beavertown overhyped and often overpriced, look project tempus.
    Tremendous ideas is probably one of the best 2 ipa in the world.

transik wrote: »

Well cloudwater is sold out pretty much everywhere.
    Lervig still on shelfs.  

Cloudwater is on top of their game, they getting strong recognition from the industry, and i my opinion and many others noone can touch them in europe.
    Beavertown overhyped and often overpriced, look project tempus.
    Tremendous ideas is probably one of  the best 2 ipa in the world.
    Did you get here from the soccer forums?
    I disagree with you but you know what? It doesn't matter!
    Humuloid reminds me a lot of Attack Frequency by Modern Times which is probably the best NEIPA I've had.  
    Humuloid is brewed in bigger batches and there is much more of it available in Ireland. Not sure about Lervig but who cares?
    Who is hyping what? You sound like one to care about that stuff, i feel like Cloudwater is very good, one of the most interessting new breweries. That doesn't mean I automatically like all their beers more than anyone elses. Their Seville Orange sour was horrible. The V11-V13 DIPAs were quite good. Spring + Summer Citra & Mosaic the best from them I've had.
    Bottom line, you prefer one, I prefer another, you are trying to change my mind, I don't think trying to change someones mind in a matter of taste is feasible or interesting use of my time. I'm glad you enjoy the beers you enjoy!

Have to say I'm not totally on board the Cloudwater bandwagon, have preferred their session IPAs over their DIPAs. And to be fair they make some interesting beers but their major problem is the ridiculous pricing. Way too expensive for some pretty ordinary beers. I prefer Beavertown and I think Northern Monk have made better stuff too. Each to their own of course.

Have to say I'm not totally on board the Cloudwater bandwagon, have preferred their session IPAs over their DIPAs. And to be fair they make some interesting beers but their major problem is the ridiculous pricing. Way too expensive for some pretty ordinary beers. I prefer Beavertown and I think Northern Monk have made better stuff too. Each to their own of course.
    Yeah, same goes for all the first tier European NEIPAs though. Once you get all yr right hops and Vermont yeasts etc you're bound to have a pretty pricey bill at the brewery.

In the states you can get a great old school IPA for 10 bucks a 6 pack, or 15 bucks for a 12 pack. For NEIPAs you go to the brewery to drink it, if you want to buy cans you'll have to pay 20 for a 4 pack and queue for hours. So it's not just Europe, the stuff just is packed with the expensive stuff.

• Advertisement

But pound for pound beavertown is more expensive then cloudwater
    You taking about ridiculous prices ?
    €6.50 for a can of scullking 0.33 l

Advertisement