Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rodenbach Grand Cru. A sour red/brown ale. I didn't realise it was a sour beer until I took a big gulp from it. :o I enjoyed it after the shock wore off though.

Crooked Stave Hop Savant. Brettanomyces IPA. Just beautiful.

Rodenbach GC was my first ever sour. Bought it from a bargain basket in 2006. I had no idea what I was in for. Didn't even know there was such thing as sour beer.

I was pretty confused but for some reason didn't pour it down the drain. After 2 bottles I was hooked. Went back for more but it was gone. Didn't see it again for about 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

In Prague -

Flekovský ležák 13° - Pivovar U Fleků - A dark beer, a smokey beer that finishes off with a hint of malty sweetness. A great beer imo.

Twist -Pivovar Clock - An American red ipa brewed in Czech. Nice tropical flavours and nice bitter bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Crooked Stave Hop Savant. Brettanomyces IPA. Just beautiful.

have you been saving this, or did you buy it recently?

I love that beer, and anything from Crooked Stave actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Having a couple of great IPA's from Other Half that I brought home from a recent work trip to New York!

k025o5.jpg

1rtgqt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Lervig 3 Bean Stout.

Black with little brown head. Aroma is dark chocolate vanilla cocoa cinnamon a bit cream. Taste is very balanced. Sweet vanilla and chocolate with some bitter cocoa. Incredibly smooth and velvety soothing. Full body. Long finish. So nice, it hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

have you been saving this, or did you buy it recently?

I love that beer, and anything from Crooked Stave actually.

I picked it up about a fortnight ago in McCambridges on Shop Street in Galway. I don't think they had many so I grabbed it when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Jaysis is Full Sail €6 now in all GBB bars?
    Make beer worse and raise the price is an interesting business model!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Jaysis is Full Sail €6 now in all GBB bars?
    Make beer worse and raise the price is an interesting business model!

A pint of modus hoperandi is €6 in the Tomas House. It's 6.8% loaded with hops and comes all the way from Colorado. GBB bars are a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Alfie's are now charging the following for 330ml cans;

Gamma Ray €7.50
    Bloody ell €9
    Cloudwater DIPA V13 €10.50

Shocking really....

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Trond wrote: »
    Alfie's are now charging the following for 330ml cans;

Gamma Ray €7.50
    Bloody ell €9
    Cloudwater DIPA V13 €10.50

Shocking really....

The price for a can of Gamma Ray in particular is outrageous. Also that Cloudwater beer had a best before date of end of May on the cans so it's a bit much to be charging that price for a glass (assume it's on draft) of a beer more than a month out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

A pint of modus hoperandi is €6 in the Tomas House.

Do Thomas House not always use those glasses that aren't pint sizes. I don't go too often, but like a jar thing for hoperandi?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Do Thomas House not always use those glasses that aren't pint sizes. I don't go too often, but like a jar thing for hoperandi?

Even better so! You get a free funky jam jar glass with your beer. Exceptional value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Currently 'enjoying' a bottle of Brooklyn Blast... BB end Dec 2015....mmmm funky goodness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Oskar Blues - Old Chub 8% (Scotch Ale)
    Picked couple of can's of this up mostly cos I'm a big fan of Founders Dirty Bastard.
    Old Chub is a lovely beer and while its not up with Dirty B, I do plan on picking up another couple of can's this weekend.  Defo worth checking out for anyone who likes this style.

Available in Redmond's Ranelagh should anyone be looking for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Cotton Ball Indian summer

Had this last year on tap and really enjoyed it.

This year out of the bottle, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Marks & Spencers are doing some really cracking beers at the moment, most of the them in the 4 for 3 range too which makes them decent enough value.

The favourites of what I've tried so far are;

M&S (Oakham Ales) - Double Hopped Citra IPA
    IPA - Tropical fruit sweetness, mango, papaya, dried apricots, with a nice hop bitterness to balance the toffee sweet malts. Very similar to Oakhams other beers.

Uprising Craft Brewing - Treason West Coast IPA 330ML Can
    West Coast IPA - Very much to the style. Rich sweet chewy malts, piney tropical hops, light bitter finish.

Roosters - Baby Faced Assassin 330ML Can
    India Pale Ale - Cloudy Amber with light lacing. Creamy malty sweetness with juicy tropical fruits and fleshy stone fruits like apricots and peaches. Light bitterness to balance the sweetness and perfect carbonation make this one a pretty perfect IPA. My favourite of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Had the latest GBB brew Rando Calrissian, a Black IPA. It's quite nice, easy to drink, fairly moderate on the hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Had a bottle of Franks Lager. Brewed by McGargles, bought in Lidl. A really nice drop of larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

They use the US pint glasses for modus, not quite a full Irish pint in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Lervig Sippin’ Into Darkness Imperial Stout. Really enjoyed this.

Had a few from these prior to this and everything has been excellent. I definitely look out for them now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

GBB opened their Limerick pub tonight, the Wickham Tap (on Wickham Street).

I went straight for the 200 Fathoms, then a glass of Godspeed, then a pint of Buried At Sea.

Strolled down the road to Mother Mac's for a pint of Shandon Stout (just arrived from the Franciscan Well) before heading home.

Thank the gods for the summer holidays, that's all I'll say!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Had a bottle of 8 degrees wayfarer sour IPA on sunday night.

One mouthful and WOW!! First beer I've ever poured down the sink. Horrible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

mfceiling wrote: »

I have poured many beers out. I like to experiment and have discovered I don't like sour beers,kriek and lots of others. I find most IPAs too hoppy for me. Some beers I suffer til the end....some go out after a mouthful.

I think it is my taste rather than the beer! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Bottle of Hoptimum last night might just have been the best beer I've had this year. Perfect balance of bitter and sweet tropical fruit.
    Strawberry milkshake IPA by Rascals - took me a while to get to this but glad I did, very nice refreshing beer. Only a hint of strawberry at the end which is probably why I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mfceiling wrote: »

Looks like sours aren't for you!

I really like that beer but then I love sour beer.

I know several people who couldn't stand sour beer a few short years ago and now love them. Bit of an acquired taste, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Looks like sours aren't for you!

I really like that beer but then I love sour beer.

I know several people who couldn't stand sour beer a few short years ago and now love them. Bit of an acquired taste, it seems.

I love the "trouble brewing graffiti ale" so I don't know if it's hops that I like? (Not really clued up on brewing ingredients!!)

The sour definitely wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

GBB opened their Limerick pub tonight, the Wickham Tap (on Wickham Street).

I'm down in Limerick in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations for craft beer pubs?

Cazale wrote: »
    I'm down in Limerick in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations for craft beer pubs?

Mother Mac's is very nice as well. It used to be known as the Round House. It's about 200 metres away from the Wickham Tap, on High Street.
    Mickey Martin's is a cool spot, located just off Thomas Street on Augustinian Lane (near the side entrance to Brown Thomas).
    Nancy Blake's have upped their game a lot over the last year or so as well, if you're looking for something that stays open late. It's not a craft beer pub by any means, but they have the local beers from Treaty City Brewery and a few good rotational taps, as well as Rebel Red and Leffe on draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Mother Mac's is very nice as well. It used to be known as the Round House. It's about 200 metres away from the Wickham Tap, on High Street. Mickey Martin's is a cool spot, located just off Thomas Street on Augustinian Lane (near the side entrance to Brown Thomas). Nancy Blake's have upped their game a lot over the last year or so as well, if you're looking for something that stays open late. It's not a craft beer pub by any means, but they have the local beers from Treaty City Brewery and a few good rotational taps, as well as Rebel Red and Leffe on draft.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out when I'm down. Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I'm down in Limerick in a couple of weeks
    A new GBB bar has just opened in Wickham St ( just up the road from Mother Macs ) It's called "The Wickham Tap"

Advertisement