Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Mother Mac's is very nice as well. It used to be known as the Round House. It's about 200 metres away from the Wickham Tap, on High Street.
    Mickey Martin's is a cool spot, located just off Thomas Street on Augustinian Lane (near the side entrance to Brown Thomas).
    Nancy Blake's have upped their game a lot over the last year or so as well, if you're looking for something that stays open late. It's not a craft beer pub by any means, but they have the local beers from Treaty City Brewery and a few good rotational taps, as well as Rebel Red and Leffe on draft.

Big thumbs up for Mother Macs. Was down in the city a few weeks ago. Very good selection, good prices and the barman was sound. Lovely pub in side

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Had Lerwig Lucky Jack last night, both the normal version and the Grapefruit version. The normal APA was grand, par for the course. The Grapefruit version was mental though. It tasted almost solely of Grapefruit. It was tasty and refreshing don't get me wrong but it tasted so much like Grapefruit as opposed to the APA, I could just as well have bought a euro can of lager and added Grapefruit Juice and got the same result. It was effectively a radler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

260x510_p1445338944112_o_brother_brutus.jpg

O Brother Brutus Double IPA

A fairly malty DIPA from a fine brewery. Overall nicely balanced, a tad dry with a smidgen of bitterness. €3.95. And tastes nothing like its 9.1% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Jimmyswinnin

Just home from a great new little craft bar on dame st. Drinking Lucky Jack by Lervig. Crackin stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Just home from a great new little craft bar on dame st. Drinking Lucky Jack by Lervig. Crackin stuff

Underdog?

One of my locals just got Scragy Bay on tap. Im delighted :D 5 mins from my bed

Tolka House btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I may have said this a few times already in this thread but fook me Founders Somatra is fantastic

Trond wrote: »
    I may have said this a few times already in this thread but fook me Founders Somatra is fantastic

Good stuff alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Jimmyswinnin

Underdog?

Tolka House btw

Yip Underdog, great selection in there, taps always rotating apparently

Yip Underdog, great selection in there, taps always rotating apparently

They have a live taplist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Popping in there this evening, was it packed with it being so new or reasonable enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Iv said it before and il say it again, scraggy bay is the most beautiful beer I have ever tasted! I would love to get it on tap in my local!! Mmmhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Was lucky enough to get my hands on a can of Trillium Congress Street. Great IPA packed with hop flavour, not sure it 100% lives up to the hype but still a lovely beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Brewdog Electric India Can - probably my favourite saison and I think it's even better this year.
    Beavertown Humuloid - not for me. Not a big fan of the NE style ones anyway so no surprise this didn't do anything for me.
    Cumulus Lupus - didn't look overly hazy to me and didn't have nearly as sweet a flavour as some other NE IPAs. Only tried a sip though so can't really comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Underdog?

Tolka House btw

Scraggy bay on tap in the Tolka house!?

beer_483323.jpg

Whiplash/Otterbank Collaboration Farami

One of the more enjoyable Oatmeal stouts that I've had. Medium bodied, the coffee is faint but detectable and overall it's a pleasant stout without being particularly memorable. %6.5 ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Had a nice few new beers over the weekend thanks to the opening of The Wickham Tap in Limerick.

GBB 200 Fathoms: First time having this on tap but also my first taste of the 2017 edition and for me it was just as delicious as always.
    GBB Rando Calrissian: On the heavy side with a strong licorice flavour but a decent Black IPA.
    La Chouffe: My favourite beer of the weekend, a lovely Belgian Ale full of bready maltiness with hints of sweet sugar and a little bit of spice.
    White Hag Little Fawn: A quite nice session IPA with a nice citrusy aroma followed by decent passionfruit flavour.
    White Hag The Pucá: I've been 50/50 on alot of the sours I've had lately, some I love, the others not so much. Luckily this is a lemon based sour which helped me enjoy it.
    Left Hand Milk Stout: This poured as black as night and was deliciously smooth, soft coffee flavours with hints of vanilla.
    Kinnegar Rustbucket: A decent Rye Ale but i've had better beers from Kinnegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Whiplash Body Riddle - another cracking beer from them. Reminded me a lot of Gamma Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Yellowbelly Mosaic Pale Ale is back on tap in Simons. Delicious pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

hop stoopid by lagunitas is back in Ireland, saw a couple of tweets from grand cru beers of kegs and bottles.

very excited for this to be back as it's a personal favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

hop stoopid by lagunitas is back in Ireland, saw a couple of tweets from grand cru beers of kegs and bottles.

very excited for this to be back as it's a personal favourite.

They started doing six packs this year also.
    I had Ballast Point's Manta Ray recently, very impressed. It reminded me a bit of Pliny the Elder.

• Advertisement

51st_state.png

O’Hara’s 51st State IPA

One of the better offerings from O'Hara's imho. A fairly sturdy and well rounded IPA. Mild bitterness and a nice dollop of hops. 6% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Siren - Uncomfortable Silence

6% 330ml

Fruit Smoothie IPA - Brewed with Peach, Apricot & Cherry. Really like this but the appearance lets it down. It looks like a fruit juice that hasn't been shaken before being poured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

JoeLapira wrote: »

GBB Rando Calrissian: On the heavy side with a strong licorice flavour but a decent Black IPA.

Gave this a whirl the other night and was happy with it. Very neutral all round I felt, they didn't seem to push any strong flavours but it came out well in the end.

Also tried two new sours by yellowbelly.
    One was a citra and it was very tart. Not too difficult to drink but could have done with some sweetness to round the edge abit.
    The other was passionfruit sour, castaway I think it was called. Absolutely delicious, just the perfect combination of tart and sweet. Very crisp and refreshing.

Brew dog stonefruit ipa, this I felt was a disappointment. It had a flavour, but the flavour was very faint, like a flavoursome ipa that had been watered down. A big variation from their big flavours. Very subtle peach taste with a lingering watermelon aftertaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Had a few more new beers courtesy of the Wickham Tap last night.

Lindemans Kriek: I love cherries so this is an ideal beer for me. It smelled of cherries, tasted of cherries and at only 3.5%, i could easily work my way through several glasses of this stuff.

Siren Undercurrent: An oatmeal pale ale and man the oatmeal was prominent. Ive had and enjoyed Oatmeal Stouts before but an oatmeal pale ale is not for me.

Lervig Lucky Jack: Another pale ale and this one was more traditional. A nice balance of hops and malt, a decent pale ale.

Galway Bay Careen: Recommended to me by the bar man, its an all round good lager. Would recommend it to lager drinkers who dont know what to get when they go into a craft beer pub and dont see Heineken/Bud/Carlsberg on offer.

Oude Geuze Boon: Coming in at 7% and 10 quid i said id leave this till last. It was a little strange at first as it reminded me more of a cider but as the beer warmed up a bit, the flavours opened up with hints of grapefruit and ginger, the last few sups of this beer were superb.

Had To øl Nutcracker in Underdog there. Very nice, the nuttiness just permeated through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Whiplash Body Riddle pale ale, excellent pale ale.

Tiny Rebel Club Tropicana, superb.

Tiny Rebel Gin and Juice, excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hobgoblin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sierra Nevada 2017 Oktoberfest collaboration. Fill yer boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

JoeLapira wrote: »

Oude Geuze Boon: Coming in at 7% and 10 quid i said id leave this till last. It was a little strange at first as it reminded me more of a cider but as the beer warmed up a bit, the flavours opened up with hints of grapefruit and ginger, the last few sups of this beer were superb.

Indeed.

Spritzy is a word I associate with geuze.

Although I have never met him, from what I read Frank Boon is a sound man, and makes fine beer.

Boon geuze 37.5cl can be got in a Manchester pub for 4.35 GBP, which is about 5 euro. Maybe you had the ever better Mariage Parfait version?

http://beermoth.co.uk/cafe/

It's 2.60 for 25cl of Boon geuze in this Ghent cafe

http://www.kantien.be/new/images/MenuKantien.pdf

• Advertisement

lervig_blk_acid.png

Lervig/Oud Beersel Black Acid

This Stout/Lambic certainly lives up to its name. Aged in Akavitt (a Scandinavian spirit) barrels that really give it an almost sour-like punch. Overall, very unique though very tart with maybe some dry-cider notes. Sour and Lambic fans should definitely have a gander at this though maybe not so much stout drinkers. 8.5% ABV.

Advertisement