Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll have to keep an eye out for that. It seems like my kind of beer.

I cracked open a 2015 bottle of 200 Fathoms. Have been sipping away at it for nearly three hours now. Still magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

That Black Acid is a cracking sup, it really does showcase both styles really well, and the Aquavit on the finish is something else.

Had a To Ol Sur Mosaic the other night, wow, really strange combination. Interesting drink.

Followed it with an Omnipollo Pineapple Gose, not much pineapple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

17 days of antibiotics, another 7 or so to go. I need an IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

RasTa wrote: »
    17 days of antibiotics, another 7 or so to go. I need an IPA.

Mod edit: No medical advice please

Intrigued to know what this advice was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Intrigued to know what this advice was

Basically don't follow the instructions on your anti-biopics. Aka be stupid.

Yeah I'm on two types, pretty strong tablet 3 times a day and a drip so drinking is out of the question. Can barely walk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Basically don't follow the instructions on your anti-biopics. Aka be stupid.

Have a read of this;

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/871.aspx?CategoryID=73

"It's sensible to avoid drinking alcohol when taking medication or feeling unwell. However, it is unlikely that drinking alcohol in moderation will cause problems if you are taking most common antibiotics."

Mod: Hope this is ok , not offering medical advice just highlighting the common myth that you can't drink while taking antibiotics. In general there is no interaction between the two.

jh79 wrote: »
    Have a read of this;

"It's sensible to avoid drinking alcohol when taking medication or feeling unwell. However, it is unlikely that drinking alcohol in moderation will cause problems if you are taking most common antibiotics."

Mod: Hope this is ok , not offering medical advice just highlighting the common myth that you can't drink while taking antibiotics. In general there is no interaction between the two.

I'm on metronidazole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

jh79 wrote: »
    Have a read of this;

Except the one that the OP is on:pac:
    Had he heeded your earlier advice, chances are a disulfiram like reaction would have occurred, acetaldehyde built up and Rasta would be cursing your fine self as he knelt down with his head over the toilet bowl for the next few hours.

• Advertisement

I'm on metronidazole

ah, the aul bacterial vaginosis at you again

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The one time I was on that I had people trying to convince me whiskey would be good for the tooth pain... Definitely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

IMG_7536_600x600.jpg

Lervig 3 Bean Stout

Really been impressed with Lervig and this beauty is the best I've had from this Norwegian brewery so far. Cocoa, tonka and vanilla bean dominate. Rich and creamy and blended to perfection. 13% ABV but you would never guess it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Really impressed by Letvig's Black Acid and 3 Bean Stout. Only that I have something on the Day of The White Hag Festival I'd be all over it.

Mikkeller 'These Haze' on draft last night in the Mikkeller Bar in SF, very nice NE IPA.

siren_americano.jpg

Siren Americano Double IPA

Really interesting Double IPA. Cloudy dark brown, a little resinous with a nice lashing of hops and coffee. A bit of mild sweetness to balance it out. 9.1% ABV.

Was down in TOBrennan's earlier, had a couple pints of Hope Summer IPA, very nice beer.

Also has a Soulwater Bullet Proof IPA, which was decent too.

Having a Brutus now, top notch DIPA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Stone Imperial Brown Ale, lovely and malty with a real kick from the 9.2%.

Yellowbelly IPA, another winner from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Omnipollo Zodiak IPA- nothing to write home about. Decent fruity flavour but a bit thin.
    Wicklow Brewery WB40 - dank is a great way to describe this. Nice and bitter too.
    Peacher Man - best beer of the week. Absolutely love this stuff.

siren_crema.jpg

Siren Crema White Stout with Coffee

Hazy, medium bodied white stout with an unusual vanilla ice-cream note. Coffee is present but subtle enough. Siren are doing some really interesting stuff and I'm really enjoying it. 4.9% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I found myself in the Wetherspoon Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire last night, and had a chance to try their Coach House Blonde (4.1%) @ €2.75 a pint. First and most obvious thing to note: it's cask-pulled and served at room temperature, so if you think (as I did) that I was in for something like a lighter version of Leffe Blonde, you might be taken aback. But I like warm beer if that's the intended temperature, and this was quite dry and very drinkable - and at that strength and price I could have had more than one. I might go back and see what else they have.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

bnt wrote: »
    served at room temperature
    I've always found The Forty Foot to have their beers bang-on cellar temperature. They certainly were when I was in on Saturday last.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've always found The Forty Foot to have their beers bang-on cellar temperature. They certainly were when I was in on Saturday last.
    It's possible it was at cellar temperature when poured, I just didn't think about it that closely! (N00b)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

I don't know how anyone can even enjoy a beer without taking its temperature with a thermometer and writing it down in a little notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone can even enjoy a beer without taking its temperature with a thermometer and writing it down in a little notebook.

You need a thermometer that will automatically add the temperature to your untapped checkin.

matrim wrote: »
    You need a thermometer that will automatically add the temperature to your untapped checkin.
    That wouldn't be craft.

You should be able to tell the temp from the aroma.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can't call yourself a craft beer nerd if you haven't asked the bartender what temperature the beer is served at, then automatically tutted because they didn't give you a range of options.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Can't call yourself a craft beer nerd if you haven't asked the bartender what temperature the beer is served at, then automatically tutted because they didn't give you a range of options.
    In 'Spoons? They'd scurry off to find out and never be seen again.

Spoons use plate chillers so tis easy to tell the temp. If the staff know where to look

• Advertisement

If I took out a thermometer in front of the bar, the barman might try to take my temperature with it ... :eek:

Advertisement