Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Had a couple of bottles of that Stationworks Brown Bear IPA last night. For €2 I'm not sure why there is such hatred for it on here. Nothing special but for the price I think it's fine. I don't have much money to spend on beer so it suits me. What would people's favourite cheap IPAs be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

new_england.jpg

BrewDog vs Cloudwater - New England IPA V2

Juicy and fruity IPA. The tropical fruits in this balance perfectly with the hops. It's aromatic and really refreshing and just all round delicious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What would people's favourite cheap IPAs be?
    Lidl's Crafty Brewing Co IPA tops the list for me.

BeerNut wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up a few tomorrow night to sample. Haven't had much of the Lidl stuff as it's awkward to get to. I have had other Rye River beers that have not impressed me but hopefully this is a step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

What would people's favourite cheap IPAs be?

Williams Bros Perfect Storm - 2.19 in Aldi.

If Black IPA's count...

Carrig Coalface is 4 for a tenner in Tesco (500ml bottles)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up a few tomorrow night to sample. Haven't had much of the Lidl stuff as it's awkward to get to. I have had other Rye River beers that have not impressed me but hopefully this is a step up.

If going to Lidl get the American Pale Wheat too. €1.99 and can't be beaten,

BeerNut wrote: »

Is that the Irish IPA (Green Bottle) or the Irish Pale Ale (Purple Bottle)??

Passenger wrote: »
    Is that the Irish IPA (Green Bottle) or the Irish Pale Ale (Purple Bottle)??
    The IPA (brown bottle; green label). It really helps if it's less than a couple of months old, ie with more than nine or ten months to run on the best-before. The flavour does seem to drop off a cliff after that. Choose carefully.

Take that smugglers

booze.jpg
    The smuggled alcohol has a retail value of over €6,800 and represents a potential loss to the Exchequer of over €3,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone taking a van back from Portugal, I presume?

What they are pricing the stubby cans of Super Bock at? They're something like 40c in bulk...

• Advertisement

Probably a fiver. The whole haul was 530 liters, hidden among snacks and sweets so was probably going to a business but who knows
    The discovery was made as a result of routine profiling

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/revenue-seize-530-litres-undeclared-13513097

Picked up the Crafty Brewing IPA on Beernut's recommendation. Have to say it's very nice and the nicest of any of the Rye River beers I've tried.

My 3 cents commission (store credit only) earned. Thanks Lidl!

I actually picked up the Crafty Brewing IPA and American Pale Wheat in Lidl earlier on yizzers recommendations. Will report back when I get around to trying them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

RasTa wrote: »
    Take that smugglers

Is that non-Alcoholic Superbock in the bottles? What's the point in smuggling that?
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

St Peters IPA which. Myself and Mrs demanufacturwd brewed from a kit... Lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

RasTa wrote: »
    Take that smugglers

booze.jpg

My math is wonky so what are they saying the tax is on imported booze? Shirley 58.5% can't be right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Ipso wrote: »
    My math is wonky so what are they saying the tax is on imported booze? Shirley 58.5% can't be right!

Don't call me Shirley!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Blacks of Kinsale Worlds End. Very nice imperial stout. Raging I only got the one bottle.

Had the Lidl Crafty Brewing American Pale Wheat Ale. Light bodied, fruity, citrus flavours. Grand for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Boyne Brewhouse Saison - delicious and very refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Can anyone recommend some good mixed beer hampers???

MTIA!

You'd be better off getting an off licence to make you one to spec.

I really like this image posted up on twitter yesterday.

DIA3y-CW0AAnGwY.jpg

This arrived for me today but I'll still be going to pick up at least 4 more beers from the the photo above. A nice treat for after the Frank Duffy.

DIFJvIgXYAABTeJ.jpg

Finally I think Ireland is producing as good as the UK and the states in terms of the hoppy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Whiplash Rollover Session IPA: Really nice IPA and at 3.8% this is an extremely drinkable beer. Typical IPA aroma and flavour but with the ideal level of bitterness and a nice light mouthfeel. Another top beer from Whiplash Brewery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

JoeLapira wrote: »
    Whiplash Rollover Session IPA: Really nice IPA and at 3.8% this is an extremely drinkable beer. Typical IPA aroma and flavour but with the ideal level of bitterness and a nice light mouthfeel. Another top beer from Whiplash Brewery.

I do like that brew. Mmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

I then followed up with Berliner Weisse from 8 degrees. I'm still undecided about sours, some i really like, some i dont but this one kinda fell in the middle. The rhubarb was evident and the red currant only came through towards the end. A decent beer but im not sure id be in a hurry to buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Having a beer from Mike Hess Brewing. 8 West Orange Honey Wheat beer. It's an ok beer but it's in one of those cans where most of the top comes off with the ring. It's weird looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 simon...

Had a beautiful beer last night, it's from kildare, from a company called Whiplash. The beer is called Drones Logic & it's a nice 8% abv
    Nice full on beer, it's strong but busy with a nice hoppyness
    Recommend this one for one who likes stronger beer, got it in FRESH in Smithfield

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 simon...

Had a beautiful beer last night, it's from kildare, from a company called Whiplash. The beer is called Drones Logic & it's a nice 8% abv
    Nice full on beer, it's strong but busy with a nice hoppyness
    Recommend this one for one who likes stronger beer, got it in FRESH in Smithfield

Advertisement