Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Mahr's Pils for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    Heading to New York next week any recommendations on something nice to try that might not be available here ?

I used to live close to this brewery about five years ago. They seem to have taken off in recent years. You can get there in about 45 minutes on the LIRR from Penn Station.
    http://www.barrierbrewing.com/Site/HOME.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Yellow belly castaway.

Do you disagree?

lol, of course I disagree. It's patently wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

RasTa wrote: »
    Killing time in this airport. Two day hangover. What was everyone's beer of the festival at beaverland?

Dogfish spiced Ale with saffron for me.

Was that the Punkin ale? One of my highlights too, along with the Bailey's joy stout by Alesong. So many good beers though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

beer_11579.jpg

Oskar Blues Old Chub Scotch Ale

Really enjoyed this. Dark fruits and a nice caramel syrupiness to it. 8% ABV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Was that the Punkin ale? One of my highlights too, along with the Bailey's joy stout by Alesong. So many good beers though

No it was Midas touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No luck getting Westy so this will have to do for now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No luck getting Westy so this will have to do for now

I think it's every bit as good.
    Slightly different but just as good.
    I did a side by side tasting of similarly aged examples. Not much between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tried some Carrig Coalface black IPA, it's a gimmick and not a tasty one.
    Similar to a slightly less sweet version of Lidl's Schwarzbier that they get in every October, which is poor enough as cheap beers go, but this is between 2 - 3 times the price. Won't be buying this again. They might redeem themselves with the Poachers IPA in the fridge but I'm not too hopeful :(

ETA: Just remembered that a few weeks ago I had an Independent Connemara Black IPA purely because I hadn't seen it before, and it was nice. I was in Connemara and had most of their range and they were all really good beers, the gold ale is good but their pale ale (the green label) is outstanding.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Carrig Poachers Pale Ale : burnt tastling and lacking in body. Avoid.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Surprised to see Lough Gill in Lidl this evening, don't think I've seen them anywhere else in Dublin. Pale and IPA only and BBE Jan 18 so I left it. Semi bargain at €2.49 a can

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I got a couple of each. The pale isn't very pale, and not that interesting.

The monaghan branch has brehon oatmeal stout for the same price of 2.49 which is probably a bit nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Galway bay baby legs. Mandarin and a hint of pineapple with light bitterness at the end. Quite nice

matrim wrote: »
    Galway bay baby legs. Mandarin and a hint of pineapple with light bitterness at the end. Quite nice

This is one of the weakest GGB releases yet, imho. A very nondescript beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Called into Underdog last night. Tried Trouble Brewing Mandarin Crush juicy lager - really liked it. Real taste of Mandarin but lots of texture & mouthfeel also. Then tried a Yellowbelly Mortis black cherry sour. Reminded me of a tart flattish porter, not very Sour but another winner for me.

Ulster%20black.png

Brehon Ulster Black Oatmeal Stout

Nice but fairly standard stuff overall. Its dry though the roasted malt and dark chocolate is very apparent in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

That's a top notch beer for the price, that and the dungarven oatmeal stout are best bang for your buck of you want something for around 2.50 -2.99 a bottle

Erik Shin wrote: »
    That's a top notch beer for the price, that and the dungarven oatmeal stout are best bang for your buck of you want something for around 2.50 -2.99 a bottle

Aye, probably the best stout on offer in Lidl at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Current beers on my rotation:

normal_First_Frontier.png

To Ol First Frontier IPA

Loads of head, medium bodied, refreshing yet dry. Nice enough but probably the most nondescript offering I've had from this wonderful brewery.

• Advertisement

lervig_konrad_stout.png

Lervig Konrad's Stout

A Russian Imperial Stout brewed with oatmeal. Dark chocolate and coffee are present but instead of sweetness there's a nice mild bitter finish. 10.4% ABV and at €4.90 it's a great value Imperial Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

frL7DBF.jpg

Picked these up in O'Briens Naas this morning. First time getting my hands on anything from Cloudwater so looking forward to tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Pint of Baby Legs in the Brew Dock right now Tasty... And I enjoyed asking for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

matrim wrote: »

Fruity but quite samey. Nothing very distinct about it. Same with their other latest offering, Coroner session ipa.
    Maybe a side effect of going from micro to macro.

Had a Ludvig three bean stout. It was outrageously intense! Like a strong coffee, packing a punch. Veru heavy too, almost treacle like. Definitely something to sip after dinner as a treat.

Eight degrees Cumulous lupus. Very nice ipa, cloudy as expected, but alot fruitier than I had anticipated. With just a hint of said on to round off. Great taste and price for a 7.2%.

Eight degrees Denali SHIPA. Had this in bottle and loved it. Got it on draught recently in ATG and it seemed different, I didn't like it at all. Can't find it in bottle anywhere now.

9 White Deer gluten free stout. I didn't realise this was GF until I opened it. It started well but this could have been the result of low expectations. It lacked any strong flavours but it wasn't tasteless, there was a sort of vanilla base to it, but with a sweetness that was too subtle. It was light too, which didn't feel right to me. Wouldn't buy from off license again but if given the choice between this and Guinness, I'd chose this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Maybe a side effect of going from micro to macro.

?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lervig/Hoppin' Frog Sippin' Into Darkness. It's described as a chocolate martini imperial stout, although I'm not sure where the martini part comes in. What it is is rich, sweet, slightly sticky and very chocolately. Unlike some beers, it doesn't try to hide its 12% and is pretty boozy as a result. What it all adds up to is a seriously good beer. It scored 100 on Ratebeer, and I can see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zaph wrote: »
    Lervig/Hoppin' Frog Sippin' Into Darkness. It's described as a chocolate martini imperial stout, although I'm not sure where the martini part comes in. What it is is rich, sweet, slightly sticky and very chocolately. Unlike some beers, it doesn't try to hide its 12% and is pretty boozy as a result. What it all adds up to is a seriously good beer. It scored 100 on Ratebeer, and I can see why.

I wasn’t a fan. I thought it had a weird vegetal flavour that gave it a strange note to an ok'ish Imperial Stout.

9 White Deer gluten free stout.

They do a decent IPA as well. The other half has had to go gluten free so the availability of decent GF beers is is good news.

Nice beer scene in Amsterdam, some very nice taprooms. Different outlook on that city after that weekend.

This being my favorite. New England IPA's everywhere

DGx5RpTWAAAXASM.jpg

Mates who went over from London with Easyjet where even offered Punk IPA on their flight.

• Advertisement

boom.jpg

Stone Barrel Boom Session IPA

Light bodied but good carbonation, modest on the hops with a faint sweetness. Overall a fairly inoffensive IPA.

Advertisement