Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Really liking GBBs Baby Legs. Find it v sessionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Really enjoying Bark and Bite from Wicklow Wolf. Mixed feedback from friends but I think it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

5875f52f03eb92.97369398.jpg

La Blonde de Ch'Nord

French Ale. Picked this up in Lidl earlier at €2.99 for a 75cl bottle. 7%ABV. Lots of head, golden in colour, malty and a sugary note to it that lingers. It's grand for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They've had a few under various names, all quite sugary and a bit malty. At the equivalent of €2/500mL @7% they're OK on a bang per buck basis I suppose.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Flying Saucer by Kinnegar is delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Raven Orange Infused IPA, kind of reminds me of Beavertowns Bloody 'Ell with the smell but comparison ends there this was bit dead carbonation wise and orange taste became a bit sickly towards end.

One of the nicer bottles I've had in a while, plenty of carbonation with bitter hoppy taste of fruity flavour. Thumbs up on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Having a brewdog nine to five wizard.....A nice surprisingly different ipa that tastes like a wheat beer with strong banana and nutty flavors. Delicious and very drinkable even at its 7.5% abv:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

That awful moment when you find out 3 Floyd's zombie dust is only available on Thursdays
    Oh well, alpha king will have to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

That awful moment when you find out 3 Floyd's zombie dust is only available on Thursdays
    Oh well, alpha king will have to do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Been work through my first batch of home brew bottles over the last couple of weeks so havent had anything new for a while, up until last night.

Harviestoun IPA: Any beer from Harviestoun that i've tried before has always been excellent, Bitter and Twisted being the best of the bunch. Unfortunately their attempt at an American IPA wasnt up to their usual standard. They jam packed a whole range of hops into this one but for me the combination didnt work, it was far to grassy and floral for my taste buds.

On the Fritz Session Ale: Once again a beer from a very consistent brewery; Yellowbelly. This though was a very simple and plain Session Ale, nothing wrong with that of course.

9 to 5 Wizard: At 7.5%, I found this "India Pale Weizen" from Brewdog to be very drinkable, much like Dexter above. For me it was definitely more on the Weizen side of the spectrum with the India Pale element only coming through in terms of bitterness, very good beer though overall.

Perfect Union DIPA: Best beer of the night, the collab between Galway Bay and Nola really hit the spot. The alcohol was slightly more evident than in 9 to 5 Wizard but the aroma and taste were bang on for me. As soon as i popped the can, the citrussy aromas were clearly evident and this followed through into the taste. Probably should have bought 1 or 2 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Galway Bay Saiso Phi earlier in the week. It was ok, light bit of spice and dryness at the start and finished with a bit of citrus flavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

429364.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

429364.jpeg

That looks like a visit to Molloys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

yeah, Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm really enjoying modus hoperandi on draught at the moment. Great taste, reasonable price, nice buzz, clean head in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I had a bottle of Boon geuze in the Swagman, Sligo.

2014-2015 vintage, 37.5 cl, price 7 Euro.

The best before date is 2037 I think.

A fine drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

They've had a few under various names, all quite sugary and a bit malty. At the equivalent of €2/500mL @7% they're OK on a bang per buck basis I suppose.

Yes.

What I don't like is that the English language label doesn't have an ingredients list. Just " Contains....wheat, barley, etc".

Then when you read the French section on the label, you see all ingredients listed, including "sucre, glucose- fructose".

Our labelling laws are less strict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Bought 2 cans of Thieving Bastard for no other reason than to give one to my father as it's my nickname for him....can't wait to taste it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

I'm really enjoying modus hoperandi on draught at the moment. Great taste, reasonable price, nice buzz, clean head in the morning.

Where's it on?

Bierhaus?

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Where's it on?

Bierhaus?

Other one.
    Abbot's

Vuur and Vlam(Fire & Flames), and India Pale Ale by Brouwerij. Lovely hoppy pale ale with a slight hint of caramel. At €1.65 for a 330ml bottle a damn bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

OOnegative wrote: »
    Vuur and Vlam(Fire & Flames), and India Pale Ale by Brouwerij. Lovely hoppy pale ale with a slight hint of caramel. At €1.65 for a 330ml bottle a damn bargain.

That must be local price?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Delirium Nocturnum is still one of the best beers going.

RasTa wrote: »
    That must be local price?

Yeah, sorry local price but still a steal at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Someone recommended it here or in the bargains thread a while back and I gave the Crafty Brewing Co (Rye River) American Pale Wheat Ale in Lidl a try, nice stuff and €1.99 / 500mL isn't bad at all.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Anti-recommendation for Williams Bros "Iconic American Pale Ale" from Aldi. It looks nice in the glass but that's the only positive thing I can say about it. Cheap caramel taste and no discernible hop character.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Someone recommended it here or in the bargains thread a while back and I gave the Crafty Brewing Co (Rye River) American Pale Wheat Ale in Lidl a try, nice stuff and €1.99 / 500mL isn't bad at all.

Only talking about that beer here with one of lads today in work. Great beer at that price point in fairness !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

On the Fritz Session IPA from yellowbelly. A fairly simple well made IPA, although it's probably pushing the session label at 5%

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    On the Fritz Session IPA from yellowbelly. A fairly simple well made IPA, although it's probably pushing the session label at 5%

As a session beer generally, yes, kinda pushing it but for an American style IPA, 5% is pretty low.
    I think that's what they mean.

Advertisement