Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Boon geuze [7e] and St. Bernardus Abt [6e].

Is St. Bernardus Abt 12 widely available in Ireland? I presume not. I was surprised to see it in the Swagman, Sligo.

beer_2530.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Geuze wrote: »

Is St. Bernardus Abt 12 widely available in Ireland? I presume not. I was surprised to see it in the Swagman, Sligo.

It is stocked regularly enough in Sweeneys in Phibsborough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

One of the pubs in Limerick has it in the fridge at the moment, but I don't recall seeing it in many of the shops. Possibly the odd occasion in O'Briens Wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

O'Brien's and Fresh stock it in their stores too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Grand Cru Beers distributes it, on a permanent basis, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Can get 750ml versions of it too, and the oak-aged version was released here 1-2 years ago too.

Trying the 16% BA tipa from Siren later, curious about this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Short dated Affligem blonde from my local SuperValu... €1 a bottle...cant go wrong for a fiver..
    :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

jsa112 wrote:
    Trying the 16% BA tipa from Siren later, curious about this one.

Let us know how you get on ...I'm intrigued myself by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

beer_2530.jpg

Just picked up 2 bottles of this for to see what the fuzz is about, 2.09 a bottle ain't bad(again my local price, see its roughly twice that back home)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Northern Monk Knucklepuck on tap. One of the best beers ive ever had. Outstanding. Top brewery as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

ianob7 wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on ...I'm intrigued myself by it.
    Was ok, wouldn't get it again. Definitely don't think barrel ageing an ipa is a good idea. As for the non-BA tipa, was ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I have a couple of cans of veltins pils in the fridge, 2 quid each in Lidl drogheda. I've been drinking it in the club bar in Dalymount Park lately and have developed a taste for it. Bargain for 2 euros, it packs quite a punch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I have a couple of cans of veltins pils in the fridge, 2 quid each in Lidl drogheda. I've been drinking it in the club bar in Dalymount Park lately and have developed a taste for it. Bargain for 2 euros, it packs quite a punch too.

I'd never darken the door but I'm told there's a few decent beers on in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Can Jai Alai pale ale be bought in any off-licence in Ireland?

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cigar-city-jai-alai-india-pale-ale/95103/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nope. I got it from saveur-biere before, few months old but it was delicious. I'd love to taste it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Couple of bottles of Independent Pale Ale tonight, lovely stuff. Had Ned's big bangin IPA yesterday. Didn't think it was great but it gets very favourable reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Bangin series from Rye River suffer really badly from age; I wouldn't buy any in the old labelling now for instance despite being well before the BBE printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Titanic Brewery Plum Porter from Lidl earlier. It was surprisingly nice, had a really rich plum flavour with a nice body to back it up. It was maybe a bit sweet I'll be picking it up again

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irish_Aus

Yeastie Boys, Bigmouth session IPA, brewed in NSW Australia.. 'tis a fruity un

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think that rating is overly generous tbh. Nice enough but nothing mind blowing imo.

I had a can of it in the US last year and wasn’t overly impressed

• Advertisement

My few for tonight, looking forward to the Hand Langer, have heard good things about it

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Trying the argus polish selection from lidl thats on offer this week. Not bad at all

OOnegative wrote: »
    My few for tonight, looking forward to the Hand Langer, have heard good things about it

The Hand Langer was like a glass of fruit juice, maybe I got a bad bottle, but it was uninspiring stuff, the Hop and Love on the other hand is a quality brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Imagine asking for either of those at a busy bar...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

Second can of clouwater triple ipa this stuff in on other level.

Drinking yellow belly after this is like a long bad dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Not expecting much but I'm in Rome next week, any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Can't offer any suggestions for Rome as it's a few years since I've been there, but was in Sardinia two years ago and near the Amalfi Coast last year and managed to get a lot of top quality Italian craft beers in both places. In particular the range of locally brewed beers in Sardinia was incredible. I know Brewdog have a bar in Rome and I'd be surprised if that was the only decent bar in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

L1011 wrote: »
    The Bangin series from Rye River suffer really badly from age; I wouldn't buy any in the old labelling now for instance despite being well before the BBE printed.
    I think all Irish hoppy beers suffer badly from age. From what I hear no Irish brewery is properly set up for bottling/canning, there is no Co2 or nitrogen purge of the cans when filling. Three months after an Irish beer is bottled it tastes completely dead. A US IPA can still taste like an IPA 8 months in.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Go to Open Baladin and Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fa'. Two of the best pubs in Europe, IMO.

Advertisement