Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭deisedav

Brew dog chocolate larger from lidl. Terrible stuff, taste of synthetic chocolate off it. I shared half of it with the sink

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

deisedav wrote: »
    Brew dog
    Hogs Back?
    HogsBackMontezumasChocolateLager300517.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Cheers, looks like there's a good selection looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Two new DIPAs, Perfect Union and Let It Happen are a testament to the quality of Irish brewing and are comparable to anything Cloudwater et al have produced.

Yellowbelly's Are You Not Entertained is not however. I have found their monthly canned specials to be hit and miss recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

BeerNut wrote: »
    Go to Open Baladin and Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fa'. Two of the best pubs in Europe, IMO.
    Also Brasserie 4:20 is one of the best!

• Advertisement

snowblind wrote: »
    Also Brasserie 4:20 is one of the best!
    It's a restaurant, though. Much as I like Revelation Cat beers, I though 4:20 was too far out of the way and the food not good enough to recommend it. Buy hey, if you want to go to a great culinary city like Rome and eat an overpriced burger, you can do it there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

RonanC wrote: »
    Yellowbelly's Are You Not Entertained is not however.

Had this in Underdog the other night and really enjoyed it. Delicious DIPA imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

It's a restaurant, though. Much as I like Revelation Cat beers, I though 4:20 was too far out of the way and the food not good enough to recommend it. Buy hey, if you want to go to a great culinary city like Rome and eat an overpriced burger, you can do it there :D
    Well I sat at the bar and was served tasters of almost everything without really even asking, including shots everytime they rang the bell at the till for an unknown reason. The tasters were half glass and the beers were mostly excellent, and talking to the staff they really knew their beer, some nice and unusual barrel aged stuff that were pretty wild. At some point I ate some potato chips they made, so my experience was very liquid and bar like ;)

Music was mostly late 90s post grunge which I usually run from but due to everything else being in the right place, I was happy

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭deisedav

Hogs Back?

Yeah sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dead Centre Brewing 'Marooned', oatmeal IPA. Very nice, nice hoppy kick to start, mellows as it warms up with some fruitiness at the end.

Hope Limited edition Tropical sour, lovely, so drinkable, finished it in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lervig and Hoppin' Frog, collaboration, Sippin' Into Darkness - a chocolate martini imperial stout. 12% abv.

The bottle cost me €6.60 from the offie, but I'm a sucker for trying fancy looking stouts and porters.

This one was a good choice, especially as a celebratory drop for after the Ireland match! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hogs Back?

Strange one from Brewdog who are so protective of their trademarks considering that there is a brewery near Guilford called Hog's Back.
    https://www.hogsback.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It could’ve just been the day that was in it but I quite liked that Hogs Back beer. Weird combination that shouldn’t have work but it did imo.

Strange one from Brewdog who are so protective of their trademarks considering that there is a brewery near Guilford called Hog's Back.
    https://www.hogsback.co.uk/
    It's not from BrewDog, it's from Hogs Back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I 'kinda' quit drinking maybe 15yrs ago, tho I can't deny I love the taste of beer, so the last few years I've been buying anything and everything beer wise!? I buy 2 bottles/cans most nights I'm indoors 2/3 nights a week and I really enjoy my 2 beers, I always thought I could review beer.... But realised I can't compare to some people who have finely tuned taste buds, such as regular posters to Beer Advocate, Rate Beer etc etc.. Anyway all I can say about tonight's beer is>>>> smooth intake with immediate nice taste of not to strong citrus and grape taste, goes down again really smooth and leaves a fresh refreshing fruity lagery taste.. Look as I said I'm not great at putting taste into words, but I really like this one and it's a BIG thumbs up.. Aldi Ireland: Cost about 2.40.. 500ml Bottle. http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/beer/re-dial
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Redial50oldbottle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's not from BrewDog, it's from Hogs Back.

Ah right, that would explain it.
    Why didn't I just look at the bottle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

^^

"Cold Fermented" I've seen it all now.

Redial50oldbottle.jpg?mtime=20170123160017

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any tips on spots in the Westminster area? Or craft breweries around London?

Any tips on spots in the Westminster area? Or craft breweries around London?

Beavertown tap room on Saturdays is good craic. Also the beer mile http://jetsettingfools.com/london-craft-beer-crawl-bermondsey-beer-mile/

RasTa wrote: »
    "Cold Fermented" I've seen it all now.
    Not such an outrageous description for a lager. Much better than "Cold Brewed" as the Guinness Black Lager label said.

• Advertisement

Beavertown tap room on Saturdays is good craic. Also the beer mile http://jetsettingfools.com/london-craft-beer-crawl-bermondsey-beer-mile/

Ah, I'll be flying home too early to see Beavertown! :( But the Beer Mile could still work out. Thanks! :)

I was not entertained by Yellowbelly's DIPA. Don't think I've liked any of their beers so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

RasTa wrote:
    I was not entertained by Yellowbelly's DIPA. Don't think I've liked any of their beers so far.

Me too ! I found it a bit meh ..not a patch on any of the whiplash dipa's imo

Yellow passion fruit sour is a great beer , nothing else aside stands out from them.

ianob7 wrote: »
    Me too ! I found it a bit meh ..not a patch on any of the whiplash dipa's imo

Thought it was by far the best beer that I've had from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Passenger wrote:
    Thought it was by far the best beer that I've had from them.

Tap or can ?

ianob7 wrote: »
    Tap or can ?

On tap in Underdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Friend of mine is looking for recommendations for pubs/beer in Clonakilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Anyone know where is the best place to buy a large selection of craft beers, stuff like 3 for 9 euro would help too because I ideally want to get 20 or 25 bottles for the Crimbo to try out loads of different ones.

Are any of Lidl/Supervalu/Aldi/Tescos etc better than the other for craft beers in terms of quality and price or is it all much of a muchness?

Thanks in advance for any helpful pointers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Anyone know where is the best place to buy a large selection of craft beers, stuff like 3 for 9 euro would help too because I ideally want to get 20 or 25 bottles for the Crimbo to try out loads of different ones.

Are any of Lidl/Supervalu/Aldi/Tescos etc better than the other for craft beers in terms of quality and price or is it all much of a muchness?

O'Briens probably your best bet. Free delivery on orders over 60 euro.

https://www.obrienswine.ie/beers/beers/current-offers-beer.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

jh79 wrote: »
    O'Briens probably your best bet. Free delivery on orders over 60 euro.

https://www.obrienswine.ie/beers/beers/current-offers-beer.html

I second that. They have a good range and helpful staff. They are a good starting point.

Advertisement