Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

I agree not very good at all. Much better than Dublin Porter though, which I reckon to be the most offensive beer I have ever drank.

Different strokes for different folks ! I enjoy Dublin Porter in bottle but I liked even more when I could get it on draught....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Geuze wrote: »
    I had a bottle of Boon geuze in the Swagman, Sligo.

2014-2015 vintage, 37.5 cl, price 7 Euro.

The best before date is 2037 I think.

A fine drink.

The Boon geuze is gone from the Swagman, myself and another person consumed all of it.

This week I spotted Boon Framboise. Fruity, yes, genuine fruit, not sugary sweet, a good drink, but nothing like geuze.

I thought it would be spritzy like geuze, but it wasn't.

7 euro for a 37.5cl bottle.

I also had a St. Bernardus Abt 12 and a Sierra Nevada Big Foot barleywine, 355ml, both 6 euro.

The SN BigFoot felt boozy.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

Pumpkin oatmeal stout to Celebrate bank holiday weekend.
    What a beer,we will never get anything like this here in dublin,

Here is picture i took today after we drank it.
    https://ibb.co/dDF7J6

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

transik wrote: »
    Pumpkin oatmeal stout to Celebrate bank holiday weekend.

Here is picture i took today after we drank it.
    https://ibb.co/dDF7J6

What is your problem with Ireland?

I see Goodbye Blue Monday is now available in cans. That’ll please a few people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scottish people who don't like it? ;) bah, edited...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If we did a blind taste on you and put it in an Eight Degrees bottle, you'd say it was sh1t and boast about a totes tin of Cloudwater you'd just cracked

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If we did a blind taste on you and put it in an Eight Degrees bottle, you'd say it was sh1t and boast about a totes tin of Cloudwater you'd just cracked

If they could see the bottle, it wouldn't be a blind taste test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I've had this argument with him on Instagram, If it's not Cloudwater then it's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a can of Galway Bay Goodbye Blue Monday last night. There is some aroma off it, grassy / nettely with citrus and pineapple. Lovely smell. It doesn't all follow through into the taste but is still a really good beer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Big Bunny on tap is so delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

A few Joey Greenhorn and Johnny Dogface by Kompaan Brewery waiting in the fridge for me this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was in Copenhagen last weekend, got to Warpigs, very enjoyable. Their Real Steel NE Session IPA was stunning, so much flavour in a 3.5% beer, loved it. My wife loved their Salmon Pants Lager too which was a relief as she usually doesn't like craft lagers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There was a "meet the brewer" event in Mother Mac's (Limerick) this week with one of the girls from Beavertown. They had three beers on tap for the night. Neck Oil, Black Betty, Dead & Berried.

I started with a half-pint of Dead & Berried, which was described as "a German-style raspberry ale" but the description doesn't do it justice. Not too fruity, just the right amount of sourness, and a shame that it was a small, limited production!

I've had Black Betty a few times now, but never on draught. It's fantastic. I think having the fruity beer first was a good idea because the darker malt was much more obvious by contrast. Great stuff.

Moved up the road to the Wickham Tap for one more drink after that and had Gravity's Rainbow, DIPA, a collaboration between GBB and Whiplash. 9% abv. Very enjoyable, but probably not suitable for mid-week drinking. :D

Next up is Wylan collab brew with mighty northen monk.
    What a beer.
    5.50€ not cheap but still this is way better. Way way better then GGX whiplash gravity (6.80€).

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I've had this argument with him on Instagram, If it's not Cloudwater then it's crap.

Black pumpkin is made by mighty buffalo bills brewery.
    Cloudwater has nothing to do with this beer.
    What you on about?

OOnegative wrote: »
    A few Joey Greenhorn and Johnny Dogface by Kompaan Brewery waiting in the fridge for me this weekend.

Both rather uninspiring beers, the Johnny Dogface was almost sickly sweet. Not two I'll be purchasing again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I delved into my own stash this afternoon and treated my girlfriend to some of Galway Bay's specials from last year (or maybe it was the year before...)

The Eternalist. 5.5%, a mixed fermentation raspberry sour ale.
    Space Suit. 5.5%, an amber sour. Both of these were well-received.

Diving Bell. 9%, a salted caramel wee heavy/Scotch ale. This one was too much for her. :D

I enjoyed all three, as before, and aging a bottle of The Eternalist proved to be a great idea. The Space Suit came out lovely as well. Must have been some of the last bottles left in the country, but made for a lovely evening's drinking.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Discovered unexpectedly the other day that I still had one bottle of Diving Bell in my stash. It made me happier than I really should have been over a bottle of beer, but it's bloody gorgeous and will go down very nicely some cold winter night soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Next up is Wylan collab brew with mighty northen monk.
    What a beer.
    5.50€ not cheap but still this is way better. Way way better then GGX whiplash gravity (6.80€).

Whiplash has nothing to do with The Wylam Collaboration, what are you on about? You Irish bash at every opertunity, what is wrong with you?

• Advertisement

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Whiplash has nothing to do with The Wylam Collaboration, what are you on about? You Irish bash at every opertunity, what is wrong with you?

Dont feed him.......

Jopen Limited Hop Zij Met Ons, glutenfree IPA, citrusy, with slight taste of pineapple. Have sampled a couple of beers from Jopen since i moved to Holland and can't fault them to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong thread, my main drink is cider as I usually can't stomach beer, want to try again at drinking beer (was away alot this year and it's difficult to get cider and when I do it's way dearer that beer) just wondering what beer would be a good start to get used to it (Corona, Coors etc?) Or is it a case of I won't be albe to get used to it

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

When you drank beer what did you like?

My advice to someone unsure as to what they like is to start off trying a couple of different styles to get a benchmark for what you like.

O'Haras for example do a stout, ipa, red ale and lager. They'd be the four main styles broadly speaking.

If you like one or more of those styles/beers, start examining different companies offerings.

I find my taste changes with the seasons, ipa in summer, stouts in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

VW 1 wrote: »
    When you drank beer what did you like?

My advice to someone unsure as to what they like is to start off trying a couple of different styles to get a benchmark for what you like.

O'Haras for example do a stout, ipa, red ale and lager. They'd be the four main styles broadly speaking.

If you like one or more of those styles/beers, start examining different companies offerings.

I find my taste changes with the seasons, ipa in summer, stouts in winter

Thanks

I've only tried a few and found they all taste the same (not a great taste), granted I only ever took one drink of each, never drank the whole lot so maybe that was my mistake don't know if anyone else had a similar situation to me but what drink would be good to start out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Hococop wrote: »
    Apologies if this is posted in the wrong thread, my main drink is cider as I usually can't stomach beer, want to try again at drinking beer (was away alot this year and it's difficult to get cider and when I do it's way dearer that beer) just wondering what beer would be a good start to get used to it (Corona, Coors etc?) Or is it a case of I won't be albe to get used to it

Thanks

Those beer are a bit gassy, stay away from the likes of that and miller (esp bottled)
    If you want to try a stout...Lean Folláin is a good one.
    IPA ...there are loads some of the American ones like Languinita's are nice, Irish try O'Hara's or any of the vast selection in your off license.
    Maybe try a German wheat beer or a Belgian brown beer if you feel an IPA is too "hoppy"
    And good local off licence will point you in the right direction to find something you will like

I always find that it’s pointless recommending something if the person thinks they all tastes the same. Beer almost more than any other drink varies wildly in taste, so many different styles and flavours. As the previous poster has said, its best to just start trying lots of different beers and take notes of what you like. All the usual lagers like Carlsberg and Heineken etc. will tend to taste the same so just try lots of different ones.

Treated myself again tonight. A 2017 bottle of Narwhal. Very bitter, but still disappeared rather quickly. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cider drinkers should start with Belgian sours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Corvo

Loconut IPA by Costello's was lovely. Had a half pint at the Kilkenny food / drink festival.

Advertisement