Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

RasTa wrote: »
    Cider drinkers should start with Belgian sours

I argree, this was my entry years ago. Was a cider only man and the wife got me to try lambics and Hoeggarden/wit beers. Gradually came around and drink everything now,ha. But all the sours around now there's bound to be something you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Best beer of the weekend was I Like To Moob It Moob It by Northern Monk

Worst was Fool For You by Cloudwater, just terrible.

transik to thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Cider drinkers should start with Belgian sours
    Absolutely. Also wine drinkers.

"Just try some slightly hopped up version of something macro" is rarely a winning formula for someone who's not been really into beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I see Eight Degrees are releasing a brett stout this christmas, 750ml bottles. Don't like the sound of that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I see Eight Degrees are releasing a brett stout this christmas, 750ml bottles. Don't like the sound of that.

I'll be buying it anyway. I'm a sucker for fancy/rare/expensive stouts at Christmas time.

Tonight I'm enjoying a glass of Galway Bay's Regular Legs. It's a big IPA. Glorious, but possibly not ideal for such a cold night.

Last night I tried a can of Perfect Union DIPA, a collaboration between GBB and Nola. Another big beer. I loved it, but couldn't justify drinking a can that strong too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Only have had a few but brett stouts have always amazed me, definitely curious about this one. Nice to see something besides IPAs 24/7 :p

jsa112 wrote: »
    Only have had a few but brett stouts have always amazed me, definitely curious about this one. Nice to see something besides IPAs 24/7 :p

Belgian Pale Ale for the other 750ml bottle. I'll get both, have a nice little collection building. https://www.eightdegrees.ie/wild-ballyhoura-legend-oak-king-holly-king/?utm_source=Eight+Degrees+Brewing+newsletter&utm_campaign=eb7802eca8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_10_24&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7b25d70543-eb7802eca8-168210237&mc_cid=eb7802eca8&mc_eid=c97acab74f

To Ol or fourcorners are bringing over there yolo malek stout this month. Caviar and Champagne yeast..... 14%

I'm off IPA's for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Heading to Edinburgh for the weekend on a stag. Pretty much all the group have zero interest in craft beers, so with a couple of hours free on Saturday afternoon, I'd like to spend them enjoying some quality beers. My brother recommended The Hanging Bat, anywhere else I should check out while I'm there?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Brewdog have a bar in Edinburgh near the castle. While you'll get decent beers there it's not the most comfortable bar you'll ever visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Zaph wrote: »
    Brewdog have a bar in Edinburgh near the castle. While you'll get decent beers there it's not the most comfortable bar you'll ever visit.

Been to Brewdog bars in London and Manchester, both were very much the same so I was gonna try out some other places first, but I will definitely pop in the for one or 2, seeing as it's only a 5 min walk from my hostel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

JoeLapira wrote: »
    Heading to Edinburgh for the weekend on a stag. Pretty much all the group have zero interest in craft beers, so with a couple of hours free on Saturday afternoon, I'd like to spend them enjoying some quality beers. My brother recommended The Hanging Bat, anywhere else I should check out while I'm there?

Definately the Hanging Bat, also the Bow Bar and the potting shed are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

JoeLapira wrote: »
    I would 100% pick the hanging bat over the brewdog bar. Nicer premises, more interesting beers. Got to try some cognac aged barleywine etc, while Brewdog was just its own stuff, mainly IPAs. It was also easier for us to get to.

No other bar recommendations, but BubbaQ on the royal mile for food and there's another good burger place there worth checking (can't remember name, its a UK franchise). There's an off-license opposite the church on that mile which also has some good beer choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Ox184 is directly across the road from the breeding bar, it's where I first fell in love with Tempest brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

calnand wrote: »
    the breeding bar

Down with that sort of thing.

PHOTO_20171110_151133.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Hello all!

I have never tried any type of beer before and thought recently, with the outpouring of Irish breweries, that I'd like to try some of the local brands.
    I bought a bottle of Boyne Brewhouse Irish Craft Amber Ale.
    I didn't like it all and I'm not sure if "ale" is just not for me or if, perhaps, this particular brand just isn't for me.
    I found the taste completely unpalatable, very sour or bitter tasting, ear waxy or something.

Is there any particular brand or type of ale you'd recommend to a newbie? Or, would you recommend starting somewhere else in the "beer" category?

I'd appreciate your guidance please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

erica74 wrote: »
    Hello all!

I have never tried any type of beer before and thought recently, with the outpouring of Irish breweries, that I'd like to try some of the local brands.
    I bought a bottle of Boyne Brewhouse Irish Craft Amber Ale.
    I didn't like it all and I'm not sure if "ale" is just not for me or if, perhaps, this particular brand just isn't for me.
    I found the taste completely unpalatable, very sour or bitter tasting, ear waxy or something.

Is there any particular brand or type of ale you'd recommend to a newbie? Or, would you recommend starting somewhere else in the "beer" category?

I'd appreciate your guidance please :D

Go to Tesco, and for €10 get a mix of 4 beers. A Stout, A Pale Ale, A IPA and a Lager or what ever. But mix it up, and out of the 4 different styles you might find one you like. whatever style you like, try more of that style. Don't expect to love every beer you try, it's about trying and experiencing different flavours. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone else brave/silly/curious enough to try Founders' DKML yet?

Described as "imperial malt liquor aged in bourbon barrels" and packing a punch at 14.2%, but still remarkably drinkable. I'd prefer this over, for example, Samichlaus, if it weren't €7.25 per bottle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Described as "imperial malt liquor aged in bourbon barrels" and packing a punch at 14.2%, but still remarkably drinkable. I'd prefer this over, for example, Samichlaus, if it weren't €7.25 per bottle.

Yep, tried it at a Founders tasting evening in Alfie Byrne's a couple of weeks ago and loved it. It's malty, sweet and very boozy, all the stuff I like, but you'd be in some mess if you drank it for the whole night.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

If you are gonna pick up 4 beers in Tesco, make sure one of them is Carrig Coalface.

• Advertisement

Yep, tried it at a Founders tasting evening in Alfie Byrne's a couple of weeks ago and loved it. It's malty, sweet and very boozy, all the stuff I like, but you'd be in some mess if you drank it for the whole night.

Yarp, one bottle is more than enough. Nice to have it to sip on during the match tonight. I was planning an early night in bed anyway. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Having a Friday. Munich IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

€14.50 for a comparatively strong wine. Sounds like a bargain

Sounds like my thing. Any nationwide stores sell it?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sounds like my thing. Any nationwide stores sell it?

I got mine in O'Brien's Wines in Limerick. Will let ye know if I see it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had one last weekend and liked it. It's very boozy with a strong syrup hit that is offset by wood and smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Having a Friday. Munich IPA.

Love that And Uniion Friday, but my local Dunnes hasn't stocked it in ages.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Love that And Uniion Friday, but my local Dunnes hasn't stocked it in ages.

My local Tesco is stocking some of the And Union beers, neu blk etc. but not the Friday :(

It's a pity there isn't a search engine for beer retailers...

matrim wrote: »
    Had one last weekend and liked it. It's very boozy with a strong syrup hit that is offset by wood and smoke.

Sounds like a good addition to a chilli con carne.

• Advertisement

Paleo Pinhead. Beavertown x Cigar City. Stout of the year so far.

Advertisement