Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Trond wrote: »
    Just tasted Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum. Unreal. Literally took half of the next beer for my taste buds to work again. Great stuff. Not for a school night though.

It must have been a few months old. They re-vamped the recipe this year, I found it smoother and a bit more tropical. I find their IPAs tend to be more balanced than other breweries, sometimes it's almost seems like a competition to see who can put more hops in their beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Birds of Prey by Uiltje Brewery, quality stuff to be honest and a new favourite for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Picked up a can of Goodbye Blue Monday and a bottle of Leann Folláin. I think I'll treat myself to a lie-in tomorrow morning instead of going for a run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

O'Haras Winter Star is not bad at all, haven't had a spiced ale before.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

17B049-Boyne-Imperial-Stout-Sherry-33cl-Bottle.png

Boyne Imperial Stout

Smooth and flavoursome, aged in whiskey and sherry casks and at 10.8% ABV it's also good value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Almost glad I didn't go into Stephens St News yesterday as they also had 50% off KBS and Backwards bastard on top of all Whiplash beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hophead Heaven Imperial IPA by the Amsterdam Brewboys. Tropical fruity taste and quiet citrusy, can actually get a candy aftertaste on this. Another nice Dutch IPA.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RasTa wrote: »
    Almost glad I didn't go into Stephens St News yesterday as they also had 50% off KBS and Backwards bastard on top of all Whiplash beers.

I saw that, probably the best Black Friday deal available anywhere. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was there a limit on how many KBS you could buy? I would’ve bought the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Found a 2016 Narwhal I bought about a year ago in the back of the drinks cabinet. It’s sublime :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I had the To Ol salty milk stout with caviar. Boozy and salty little number, nice sipper.

Anybody know where I can get a glass similar to this one?

urban_brewing_rye_ipa_urban_bitter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BaZmO* wrote: »

http://www.spiegelau.com/craft-beer/craft-beer-glasses/

You should be able to get them on amazon or I have sometimes seen similar in supervalu.

matrim wrote: »
    http://www.spiegelau.com/craft-beer/craft-beer-glasses/

You should be able to get them on amazon or I have sometimes seen similar in supervalu.
    Cheers, but it's not quite the spiegelau glasses that I'm looking for as I have some already. It's more so the ones in the pic where the lip/rim fold out and over.

More like this one, but either a local site of preferably bricks and mortar. https://shop.beerandbrewing.com/products/brewers-utility-glass?variant=1107377487897

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Cheers, but it's not quite the spiegelau glasses that I'm looking for as I have some already. It's more so the ones in the pic where the lip/rim fold out and over.

More like this one, but either a local site of preferably bricks and mortar. https://shop.beerandbrewing.com/products/brewers-utility-glass?variant=1107377487897

Have you asked whether they'd sell you one in UB?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I picked up some like that in Lidl a couple of months ago but unfortunately I don't think you would find them there now.

Might still be worth checking a supervalu. Redmonds used to sell glasses but not sure if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was there a limit on how many KBS you could buy? I would’ve bought the lot!

No, no limit though the guy there was saying he should've had one. I was there around 6pm and there weren't many KBS left. I just got one and one Backwoods and 2 Whiplash cans.
    Was slightly disappointed they didn't have any Gravity's Rainbow cans but the Bone Machine was gorgeous. Haven't had the Fig Quadrupple yet, anyone had it?
    Their 4 for a tenner deal is really good too.

Have you asked whether they'd sell you one in UB?

No. I don’t get out much lately (newborn in the house). I’ll keep looking around. Should be able to pick one up somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭deisedav

urban_brewing_rye_ipa_urban_bitter.jpg

Yeah they had ones almost exactly like that in Lidl a while back. Keep an eye out as they might get them back in before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Journeyman have a 2 bottle and 1 glass gift set out at the moment and the glass has a lip like that. They're in my local supervalu (wexford). Nice glass, kinda boring beer though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Don't sleep on these Wylam beers, the Blackberry Milkshake, Sweet Leaf and Open to Persuasion are top beers for me. Got mine from Drinkstore but I know at least Mace on SCR has them in Dublin.

Closest I've had to the best IPA's I had on my PNW road trip this summer! Better than Cloudwater ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

snowblind wrote: »
    Better than Cloudwater

Meh

snowblind wrote: »
    Don't sleep on these Wylam beers, the Blackberry Milkshake, Sweet Leaf and Open to Persuasion are top beers for me. Got mine from Drinkstore but I know at least Mace on SCR has them in Dublin.

Closest I've had to the best IPA's I had on my PNW road trip this summer! Better than Cloudwater ;)

The amount of sediment in blackberry milkshake was off-putting

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

The amount of sediment in blackberry milkshake was off-putting
    Not to me! Some of the best beers I've had have been sediment heavy. 3f Doesjel 2006 was like 25% sediment when I had one a couple years ago, beautiful beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

had a couple of pints of Adnams Mosaic Pale Ale in London over the weekend.
    Nicely flavored and well balanced beer at just 4.1% abv it makes a great session beer

Haand Bryggeriet - Inferno Triple IPA. It’s a collaboration with Brewdog and Stone Berlin. Big bold beast of a beer at 10%. A real throwback to the type of full on West Coast IPA got me into US IPAs. Cracking beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Few stouts for the evening.

First up is Rascal's chocolate milkshake. Yum

Dots 2nd Collab Stout with Blackrock Cellar, very good and will age well.
    Hope & Dots Imp stout, fantastic!
    Have a couple of heavyweight Stouts from Lough Gill too but I've a race in the morning :-\

Trouble Brewing - Voodoo Logic.

I have to say, I do love an Imperial Stout, and I’m also a big fan of Maple Syrup, so I thought this’d be a match made in heaven. Unfortunately this is not the case. It’s quite a dry bitter stout that tastes like someone has added about 10 spoons of sugar to it. I like sweet malty beers but this is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

pinta-lublin-to-dublin-2017-300x0-t.jpg

O'Hara's Lublin to Dublin 2017 Rye Stout

Rye Stout collab between O'Hara's and Pinta Brewing in Poland. Have to say that I like this years release. It's a tad smoother to my taste anyway. Nice balance of flavours and a subtle tartness gives it a bit of bite too. 6.5% ABV.

Advertisement