Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Trouble Brewing - Voodoo Logic.

I have to say, I do love an Imperial Stout, and I’m also a big fan of Maple Syrup, so I thought this’d be a match made in heaven. Unfortunately this is not the case. It’s quite a dry bitter stout that tastes like someone has added about 10 spoons of sugar to it. I like sweet malty beers but this is too much.

Was warned against buying this yesterday, sounds like a good call.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

On stouts, the one by kinsale is very good. Worlds End I think it might be called?

The nitro milk stout by Red Hand (USA) is very nice too.

had a couple of pints of Adnams Mosaic Pale Ale in London over the weekend.
    Nicely flavored and well balanced beer at just 4.1% abv it makes a great session beer

Adnams are good. Have you tried their Sorachi saison?

Passenger wrote: »
    O'Hara's Lublin to Dublin 2017 Rye Stout

Rye Stout collab between O'Hara's and Pinta Brewing in Poland. Have to say that I like this years release. It's a tad smoother to my taste anyway. Nice balance of flavours and a subtle tartness gives it a bit of bite too. 6.5% ABV.

Sounds good. Is that available from any supermarkets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

igCorcaigh wrote:
    On stouts, the one by kinsale is very good. Worlds End I think it might be called?

Yes indeed, excellent stout.

Currently supping a siren Americano, a double ipa with coffee. Strange combo of bitter ipa with coffee, don't find the coffee too overpowering, nice balance and very drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Adnams are good. Have you tried their Sorachi saison?

Their blood orange wheat from M&S is horrendous. Taste like Iron Bru or some cheapy red lemonade from when I was a kid. Have the grapefruit ipa in the fridge still, not holding out much hope.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Their blood orange wheat from M&S is horrendous. Taste like Iron Bru or some cheapy red lemonade from when I was a kid. Have the grapefruit ipa in the fridge still, not holding out much hope.

Oh, thanks for that tip. It sounds like something I might otherwise try... Labelling can be deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

all of them

2017 Narwhal, pure bliss. Worth every penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had the BA Narwhal with cocoa and coconut, very good but can't taste the additional ingredients sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

VW 1 wrote: »
    Yes indeed, excellent stout.

Currently supping a siren Americano, a double ipa with coffee. Strange combo of bitter ipa with coffee, don't find the coffee too overpowering, nice balance and very drinkable.

Give the Crema a miss, white Stout with coffee and vanilla, very sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Boyne Brewhouse, Oatmeal Stout. Not sure about this one. I thought it was excessively harsh and bitter at first. It then seemed to mellow out a bit as it went on, though I'm sure that was just my taste buds adjusting. It was interesting, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

^

Thought that was meh, not much smooth oatmeal coming through. However their imperial is lovely, probably the only one of their beers I've liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Enjoyed Black's of Kinsale Pale Face Killer - IPL very refreshing, probably nicest of the IPA/Lager hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sounds good. Is that available from any supermarkets?

I've only seen it stocked in O'Brien's at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Enjoyed Black's of Kinsale Pale Face Killer - IPL very refreshing, probably nicest of the IPA/Lager hybrids.

Saw this in the swan in Dublin. Wanted to try it as I've typically enjoyed IPLs, but the Blacks of Kinsale label put me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Last few weeks in the Swagman, Sligo

(1) White Hag Black Sow, a stout with I think coffee/choc flavours, but gone by last night. Pint = 5.00.

(2) Lindemans kriek on draught, this is sweet, quite sweet, but is also fruity. Easy to drink. 33cl serve, 5.00.

(3) They have some bottles of Boon geuze, and I have seen a genuine Boon geuze branded glass on the bar. Superb spritzy sour drink. 37.5cl bottle = 7.00/7.50. I plan to drink all the stock.

(4) La Chouffe arrived last week on draught, but seems to be all gone by last night. This 8% ale is soft, easy to drink, 33cl serve = 5.00

(5) Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA on this week, 7.2%, watch out for the high ABV here, pint = 6.00

(6) White Hag Yule ale, 7.2% strong ale, pint = 6.00

A draught Boon geuze is promised for next week, something to do with foeders was mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Saw this in the swan in Dublin. Wanted to try it as I've typically enjoyed IPLs, but the Blacks of Kinsale label put me off it.

The design of the label or the fact it's by Blacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Geuze wrote: »
    Last few weeks in the Swagman, Sligo

(1) White Hag Black Sow, a stout with I think coffee/choc flavours, but gone by last night. Pint = 5.00.

(2) Lindemans kriek on draught, this is sweet, quite sweet, but is also fruity. Easy to drink. 33cl serve, 5.00.

(3) They have some bottles of Boon geuze, and I have seen a genuine Boon geuze branded glass on the bar. Superb spritzy sour drink. 37.5cl bottle = 7.00/7.50. I plan to drink all the stock.

(4) La Chouffe arrived last week on draught, but seems to be all gone by last night. This 8% ale is soft, easy to drink, 33cl serve = 5.00

(5) Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA on this week, 7.2%, watch out for the high ABV here, pint = 6.00

(6) White Hag Yule ale, 7.2% strong ale, pint = 6.00

A draught Boon geuze is promised for next week, something to do with foeders was mentioned?

Shows the mark up on booze, I can get a 75cl bottle of Le Chouffe here in Holland for €2.95. The Lindemans Kriek goes for €1.25 a 250ml bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OOnegative wrote: »
    Shows the mark up on booze, I can get a 75cl bottle of Le Chouffe here in Holland for €2.95. The Lindemans Kriek goes for €1.25 a 250ml bottle.

More to do with duty and VAT than mark up.
    Also transport costs.
    Looks like you are also comparing off trade with on trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was gifted a can of Steam Works Flagship IPA from a lad out of work. Absolutely cracking beer. Very much in the style of a New England IPA. Like a super juicy fresh hoppy orange juice. It’s 6.7% but you wouldn’t notice. Great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Drinking St. Arnold Santo at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Munt1core

Esther's Little Secret!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

Warped Wing's 310 Ton Oatmeal Stout

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

GBB Solemn Black double black ipa. lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

GBB Solemn Black double black ipa. lovely stuff

Better than last years batch?

Cocksy wrote:
    Warped Wing's 310 Ton Oatmeal Stout

Jesus, how did you manage to pick that up? 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Timistry

Passenger wrote: »
    17B049-Boyne-Imperial-Stout-Sherry-33cl-Bottle.png

Boyne Imperial Stout

Smooth and flavoursome, aged in whiskey and sherry casks and at 10.8% ABV it's also good value for money.

Where can you get this and how much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Lagunitas Aunt Sally..a nice sour, very tasty indeed

Advertisement