Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Tangerine Express IPA by Stone is one of the best IPAs I've had in a while. Lovely west coast style with lots of hop bitterness but well balanced all the same.

I liked that but I much preferred the Vengeful Spirit IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I liked that but I much preferred the Vengeful Spirit IPA

Haven't tried it yet but i have a couple in the fridge for later:D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

12 acres oat porter, very nice, definitely a winter season choice

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

De Halve Maan Straffe Hendrik Brugs. As good a quadrupel as I think I've ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Zaph wrote: »
    De Halve Maan Straffe Hendrik Brugs. As good a quadrupel as I think I've ever tasted.

Where, what size and how much? Apologies for being so blunt. :D

• Advertisement

sceach16 wrote: »

330ml bottle, I think I got it in O'Brien's. No idea how much it cost I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Yellowbelly Night Porter is great. Very well balanced creamy stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

The Full Irish - it must be a couple of years since I've had this, still a good beer.
    Makes me want to go back and sample beers I used to drink just to see how they compare to what I'm drinking these days

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

VW 1 wrote: »
    Anyone come across a stock of founder breakfast stout in dublin?

Its my usual tipple for the Xmas breakfast but having trouble sourcing it this year. Tried Baggott Street wines, drink store, molloys, sweeneys of phibsborough, Martins.. No luck!
    Give blackrock cellar a shout. I think I saw it in there recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed. Hoppy as all get-out, but not super bitter and still nicely balanced. But really I'll always order an IPA or an APA that's dry-hopped with a bunch of citra hops. Central Waters HHG, Surly Xtra Citra, etc...

• Advertisement

sceach16 wrote: »
    330ml bottle, I think I got it in O'Brien's. No idea how much it cost I'm afraid.

Was in Molloy's in Clonsilla earlier. They have it for €4.49 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

beer_356049.jpg

Vocation Brewing Life & Death IPA

Nice tropical aroma as soon as the can is opened. Sweet and fruity with a nice dose of hops to give it some oomph. €3 and 6.5% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

A good few Crossroads, a shot of the new Greenspot, shot of Dingle single malt, then directed towards

Big Bunny on draught @€;4.90 a pint, then one of the lads pulled out a 10% off on Wednesday card.

Oh dear.......................

It's great to live in the sticks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Another stinker from yellowbelly. Night Porter or some crap, on nitro . Tasted like feet and chemicals. That's me done with them(again).

Only ordered it as was in shock at the €10 for a 330ml of Beavertown. That was worth a tenner though, delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RasTa wrote: »
    Another stinker from yellowbelly. Night Porter or some crap, on nitro . Tasted like feet and chemicals. That's me done with them(again).

Only ordered it as was in shock at the €10 for a 330ml of Beavertown. That was worth a tenner though, delicious.

I'm not a fan of Night Porter either but I think it's a rare miss from a top class brewery.

I'm not a fan of Night Porter either but I think it's a rare miss from a top class brewery.

Glorified home brewers who should be dumping some of their releases.

101 beers in 2 years, some going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Dingle Dark Star ale, eminently drinkable and 12% ...so you won't drink too many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Someone was obviously in Underdog! I really like the Night Porter. The Beavertown DIPA wasn't great imo. Nothing special anyway, defo not worth 9.75. The Lupiloid was fantastic and far better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Are You Not Entertained? DIPA was the best thing I've tried from Yellowbelly. Otherwise a very mediocre brewery alright.

Trond wrote: »
    Someone was obviously in Underdog! I really like the Night Porter. The Beavertown DIPA wasn't great imo. Nothing special anyway, defo not worth 9.75. The Lupiloid was fantastic and far better value.

By nothing special you mean perfectly balanced and I can't believe this is a 8.8% then yup.

Not a fan of Underdog pub either, think it's the screens. Staff are good craic

• Advertisement

What about Citra pale ale and Castaway??
    World class beers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've had what seemed to be two extremely bad cans of Citra; however I then had some equally bad cans of Rascals Wunderbar and a few draught IPAs the next few days so it is possible my sense of taste was effectively off for a few days.

L1011 wrote: »
    I've had what seemed to be two extremely bad cans of Citra; however I then had some equally bad cans of Rascals Wunderbar and a few draught IPAs the next few days so it is possible my sense of taste was effectively off for a few days.

The kegs of Citra have been very good lately.

McHugh's Artane just tapped up a keg of 200 fathoms. 1L per customer. I miss living in Fairview

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Never tried Modus Hoperandi before, but Molloys had 3 cans for €9 so decided to give it a go. Date on the can was Dec 16 and they said it was a brewing date, they're out of date after a year which is why they're on offer. I decided to give it a go anyway.

I found it a bit meh - not bad in any way but tbh I'd probably prefer a can of Wunderbar. A fresh one would be nicer I suppose.

Picked up a few Gamma Ray (3 for €10, BB Mar 18) which is also a new one for me, and a Trappist Quadrupel for the big day - 10% so handle with care!

The OH is gluten free and I picked up some Wold Top Against The Grain for her, which is quite good (€3.99 / 500mL)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bought a few bottles of Harmonic Convergence from Galway Bay in the local offie because it's Christmas. Absolutely gorgeous stuff but floating around the gaff now :)

Never tried Modus Hoperandi before, but Molloys had 3 cans for €9 so decided to give it a go. Date on the can was Dec 16 and they said it was a brewing date, they're out of date after a year which is why they're on offer. I decided to give it a go anyway.

I found it a bit meh - not bad in any way but tbh I'd probably prefer a can of Wunderbar. A fresh one would be nicer I suppose.

Picked up a few Gamma Ray (3 for €10, BB Mar 18) which is also a new one for me, and a Trappist Quadrupel for the big day - 10% so handle with care!

The OH is gluten free and I picked up some Wold Top Against The Grain for her, which is quite good (€3.99 / 500mL)

Stephens St news do Gamma and Modus 4 for €10. Not short dated either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

RasTa wrote: »

Gutted I couldn't get in to try the Sonoma Pride as I'm yet to try Pliny but im sick at the minute and my taste is totally gone so couldn't justify shelling out €10 on it. Hopefully some other bars will get a keg of it for the Christmas. Anyone know of any other bars getting some?

Agree about Yellowbelly, anything I've tried lately has been piss poor. Quality over quantity is needed I think. Their Dunkelweizen, wasn't up to much and hated Red Noir. Commotion lotion, disgusting. Are you not entertained was definitely their best of recent output but even that was average at best

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm not a big fan of lagers (apart from Treaty City Brewery's helles, Hell's Gate) but we won a Christmas hamper last week with a bottle of Hop-House 13 in it and I'm really enjoying it. I love Guinness but still feel guilty for enjoying a macro lager. :pac:

• Advertisement

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Gutted I couldn't get in to try the Sonoma Pride as I'm yet to try Pliny but im sick at the minute and my taste is totally gone so couldn't justify shelling out €10 on it. Hopefully some other bars will get a keg of it for the Christmas. Anyone know of any other bars getting some?

Agree about Yellowbelly, anything I've tried lately has been piss poor. Quality over quantity is needed I think. Their Dunkelweizen, wasn't up to much and hated Red Noir. Commotion lotion, disgusting. Are you not entertained was definitely their best of recent output but even that was average at best

I'm actually shocked people rate them at all! 101 beers in 2 years?. O Brother have 19 releases in 3 years. White hag 41 in 3 and a half years and Eight Degrees with 58 in 6 years.

Anyway that's the only keg you'll see of Beavertown in Ireland. Four corners only got one in and Beaverland isn't canning the beer. Just buy a can of Skull King instead. All that hoppy stuff tastes the same when done right.

Advertisement