Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm actually shocked people rate them at all! 101 beers in 2 years?. O Brother have 19 releases in 3 years. White hag 41 in 3 and a half years and Eight Degrees with 58 in 6 years.

Anyway that's the only keg you'll see of Beavertown in Ireland. Four corners only got one in and Beaverland isn't canning the beer. Just buy a can of Skull King instead. All that hoppy stuff tastes the same when done right.

101 beers is crazy. Everytime I go into a bar there seems to be a new offering on tap. Thanks for the recommendation, where has Skull King? Can't say I've noticed it anywhere. I know somebody going to San Francisco for Xmas. I asked about getting me a bottle of Pliny but they were a bit funny about getting it so doubt it'll happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

aaronm13 wrote: »
    101 beers is crazy. Everytime I go into a bar there seems to be a new offering on tap. Thanks for the recommendation, where has Skull King? Can't say I've noticed it anywhere. I know somebody going to San Francisco for Xmas. I asked about getting me a bottle of Pliny but they were a bit funny about getting it so doubt it'll happen.

Usual spots should have it, released on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Usual spots should have it, released on Thursday.

Just checked, it's Beavertown so should be easy to pick up. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

All that hoppy stuff tastes the same when done right.

Yeah thats why I like BUD! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stephens St news do Gamma and Modus 4 for €10. Not short dated either.

I work not that far away so definitely a place to check out, thanks.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Jumped in on the five for six in O'Brien's .. Got a 'Reality bites' DIPA because i wanted it and five 'yellowbelly - Are you not entertained' because it's my favorite movie ever so my missus made me. Probably should have payed closer attention to the %/read the back of the can, mother of Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

slam_dank.png

Northern Monk Patrons Projects 6.03 Slamdank

Juicy, fruity, full bodied IPA. Hazy with good carbonation and just deliciously smooth. 7.4% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Wiper and true Plum pudding porter- excellent ðŸ˜

Blew dog hoppy Christmas also good not very Christmassy but good non the less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I'd say cloudatlas has been at the cooking sherry too!

Finished

DRv7z_wW0AYEod6.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Spectacular display, sir!

I just treated myself to a KBS. Should be great craic when that hits my system!

cloudatlas wrote: »

I'd say cloudatlas has been at the cooking sherry too!

I'm sorry iPhone glitchy can't find option on it to delete posts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hit the 6-for-5 myself today mostly on old regulars - Kinnegar and Yellowbelly Citra - but I've started buying Dungarvan again as I realised I basically left them for newer beers like someone leaving their wife for a young intern :pac:

Nothing spectacular style wise but still worthy of a purchase, used to buy Dungarvan and 8 Degrees primarily years ago when the scene was a lot smaller.

Also got a can of WB40 and while its fully drinkable I'm sure it tasted a lot more interesting at the beer fest I had it at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Couple of Lidl Crafty American Brown this evening. Decent enough

Was in UD last night and had a Holy Cow Bell, lovely stuff. Will lash up a pic of my Xmas stash tomorrow

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sierra Nevada Trip in the Woods Cocoa Coconut Narwhal. Very smooth and tasty, loads of bourbon and some chocolate flavours, although I'm not getting much coconut from it. Worth the price of a 750ml bottle compared to a couple of bottles of regular Narwhal? Probably not, but it's Christmas so I felt I had to treat myself. :D

436998.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

436998.jpeg

Where did you get the DKML?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Never tried Modus Hoperandi before, but Molloys had 3 cans for €9 so decided to give it a go. Date on the can was Dec 16 and they said it was a brewing date, they're out of date after a year which is why they're on offer. I decided to give it a go anyway.

I found it a bit meh - not bad in any way but tbh I'd probably prefer a can of Wunderbar. A fresh one would be nicer I suppose.

Picked up a few Gamma Ray (3 for €10, BB Mar 18) which is also a new one for me, and a Trappist Quadrupel for the big day - 10% so handle with care!

The OH is gluten free and I picked up some Wold Top Against The Grain for her, which is quite good (€3.99 / 500mL)

Stephens street news have Modus with a BB date of October 1st 2018, and they're 4 for a tenner mix and match with loads of other good cans of you want to try a fresher batch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Gutted I couldn't get in to try the Sonoma Pride as I'm yet to try Pliny but im sick at the minute and my taste is totally gone so couldn't justify shelling out €10 on it. Hopefully some other bars will get a keg of it for the Christmas. Anyone know of any other bars getting some?

Sonoma Pride is decent, but not amazing and not very like Pilny at all.

BaZmO* wrote: »

All of those beers came from McHugh's Artane, last Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BaZmO* wrote: »

Drinkstore had some yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Couldn't get a good photo of my haul but it includes:

Porterhouse - North Star
    Thornbridge - Love Amoung the Ruins
    Sierra Nevada - KBS, Narwall, Trip in the Woods
    8 degrees - The fearless, The Oak King, The Holly King, Howling Gale
    White Hag - All the barrell aged beers, Session IPA
    Kinnegar - Coco Joe
    Stone - Vengeful Spirit
    Crooked Stave - St Bretta, Petite Sour Raspberry, Petite Sour Blueberry
    Reel Deal - Orange and Juniper IPA
    Whiplash - Bone Riddle
    Galway Bay - Goodbye Blue Monday

Need to decide what I want to drink over christmas / new year and what I want to age.

Martins have DKML too. If in drinkstore ask for what you want, they have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

ITzAs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Ice Cream Pale Ale by Northern Monk brewing co. Goes great with dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Few Trouble Brewing Ambush followed by a couple of Beavertowns Black Betty. 2 great beers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Ryath

Easing myself into Christmas with a Porterhouse Dark Star while I get some of tomorrows dinner ready. Quite like it sorry I didn't pick up the dingle version of it to. I'll survive! Have a nice selection of stouts to work through. Lagunitas Cappuccino, Sierra Nevada Narwhal, Founders KBS are the choice ones. Have a Boyne Imperial and a couple of Guinness FES.

Most of the rest is the couple of bottles I still have left from summer holidays I got in Belgium pick is a St Bernardus Abt12 have a Prior 8 and a triple too, Chimay blue and a Westmalle Dubbel, really should have bought more of the Westmalle was only €1.20 a bottle!:eek: when you bought a case. One of my favourite beers. Will be able to stock up again this summer in Europe but not passing through Belgium this time so won't be as cheap.

Bottle of Boyles Gin with fevertree tonics and a Powers 3 Swallows for when I'm too full of beer and few non alcholic Erdingers to tide me over when I can't drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

1b29ccc0c5f220740a4a44cd16736ca6923233d9_480x480.png?v=1512043863

White Hag The Black Sow Nitro Coffee Milk Stout

No nitro head at all. Medium body. It's all milk and coffee as expected but it's sugary sweet and easy to drink. At 5.4% a higher ABV might give it a bit more oomph but overall it's a pleasant sup.

Advertisement