Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Ryath wrote: »
    Easing myself into Christmas with a Porterhouse Dark Star while I get some of tomorrows dinner ready. Quite like it sorry I didn't pick up the dingle version of it to. I'll survive! Have a nice selection of stouts to work through. Lagunitas Cappuccino, Sierra Nevada Narwhal, Founders KBS are the choice ones. Have a Boyne Imperial and a couple of Guinness FES.

Most of the rest is the couple of bottles I still have left from summer holidays I got in Belgium pick is a St Bernardus Abt12 have a Prior 8 and a triple too, Chimay blue and a Westmalle Dubbel, really should have bought more of the Westmalle was only €1.20 a bottle!:eek: when you bought a case. One of my favourite beers. Will be able to stock up again this summer in Europe but not passing through Belgium this time so won't be as cheap.

Bottle of Boyles Gin with fevertree tonics and a Powers 3 Swallows for when I'm too full of beer and few non alcholic Erdingers to tide me over when I can't drink!

The Dingle version is a much nicer dark ale... bought both last week...but only bought the Dingle one today..a bit of a gulf in taste for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Where did you get the DKML?

My local O Briens have a fair few of them so maybe other branches do.

Picked up a few the other day. Great beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Passenger wrote: »
    1b29ccc0c5f220740a4a44cd16736ca6923233d9_480x480.png?v=1512043863

White Hag The Black Sow Nitro Coffee Milk Stout

No nitro head at all. Medium body. It's all milk and coffee as expected but it's sugary sweet and easy to drink. At 5.4% a higher ABV might give it a bit more oomph but overall it's a pleasant sup.

Did you pour it like a normal can or pour it hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Happy Christmas everyone, hope you all enjoy plenty of good beer!

Got a bottle of Cantillon in my beer hamper :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Shares a bottle of The Holly King with my family last night, absolutely delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

CianRyan wrote: »
    Shares a bottle of The Holly King with my family last night, absolutely delicious.

Had one myself, didn't share though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

After a few gin and tonic's to start the day, have started on a Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo IPA. Very tasty and easy going down.

Now onto one I managed to try on draft in The Draft House in Strandhill in Sligo - White Hag's Atlantean New England IPA. Have had a lot of IPA's but this is a definite favorite of recent months.

Have a few of the Kinnegar Limited Edition for after dinner (yes, still waiting) including their Farmhouse Saison, Olan's Tart and White Rabbit IPA.

Merry Christmas all!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Debunker

I bought me and my family a bottle of Brugs Zot each, I found it one day to be incredible, but today I honestly don't know. It didn't taste quite right. Wasn't fond of it. Does anyone else get that? The beer tasting different than it once was? Or am I crazy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Debunker wrote: »
    I bought me and my family a bottle of Brugs Zot each, I found it one day to be incredible, but today I honestly don't know. It didn't taste quite right. Wasn't fond of it. Does anyone else get that? The beer tasting different than it once was? Or am I crazy?

Age makes a massive difference in certain Belgian blonde and pale ales, so it could just be that these bottles are a lot older than the ones you had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Cantillon and an 8degrees Oak King last night.

Starting today with a boa hopper smart ass saison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait. Beautiful beer. Fantastic with the Christmas dinner.

Merry Christmas to all of ye. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Still on the wine, was getting stressed out having to cook for 6 people including a starter. Oh ten fidy I am coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Opening my 2nd KBS. It's fantastic. That aftertaste....yum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Basq wrote: »
    After a few gin and tonic's to start the day, have started on a Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo IPA. Very tasty and easy going down.

Now onto one I managed to try on draft in The Draft House in Strandhill in Sligo - White Hag's Atlantean New England IPA. Have had a lot of IPA's but this is a definite favorite of recent months.

Have a few of the Kinnegar Limited Edition for after dinner (yes, still waiting) including their Farmhouse Saison, Olan's Tart and White Rabbit IPA.

Merry Christmas all!

The White Rabbit is fantastic. Is that still available? I haven't seen it in any shops in ages.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's Christmas, so definitely was time to break out the 200 Fathoms. Really like this year's batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

MadYaker wrote: »
    The White Rabbit is fantastic. Is that still available? I haven't seen it in any shops in ages.
    There was certainly a fair few in my local (Foley's Sligo).. can't order online with them unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Petite Sour Raspberry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Herself got me a trip to Bruges for Xmas, heading in March.

All brewery and beer related advice welcome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

VW 1 wrote: »

Halve Maan brewery tour & beers ( Straffe Hendrik) afterwards!

Tool Djuicy DIPA - not bad but nothing special. Not worth the price imo. Foam and Fury murders it at the same % (8.5%).

Whiplash Saturate DIPA - another quality beer from them. Can't wait to see what they do next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

VW 1 wrote: »

Agreed om Halve maan. Bring a checked bag and stock up to bring home. The beer is a fraction of Irish prices.

Check out Fort Lapin brewery just outside the city centre - if your there during their very limited opening hours id recommend a visit.

Bars wise - Bruin Beertje (sp?), le Garre, gambrinus, le trappiste are all worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

beer_554884.jpg

Northern Monk Captain North

Citrusy, tropical fruits, moderate hops, frothy head and overall a very light and refreshing IPA. 6% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,515 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

c - 13 wrote: »
    Agreed om Halve maan. Bring a checked bag and stock up to bring home. The beer is a fraction of Irish prices.

Check out Fort Lapin brewery just outside the city centre - if your there during their very limited opening hours id recommend a visit.

Bars wise - Bruin Beertje (sp?), le Garre, gambrinus, le trappiste are all worth a visit.
    +1 on Halve Maan tour, and all the other recommendations. De Garre was a particular favourite. Café Vlissinghe (oldest pub in Bruges) is a great way to spend an hour or two on a Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So Colin Farrell was wrong then :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Heading down to The Hole in The Wall tonight, their house beer "The Holer" brewed by Rascals, is a nice hoppy session pale. Was very fresh when I was down there last Friday.

They have a few other Irish beers on tap, and usually a decent bottle selection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

2015 KBS

It really is an incredible beer. If it wasn’t for the abv, cost and availability I could drink this all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Blacks World's End. Lovely stuff. Seems like a bit less vanilla this year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

matrim wrote: »
    Blacks World's End. Lovely stuff. Seems like a bit less vanilla this year

Haven't tried this years but yeah it used to hop out of the glass could probably do with a bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

BaZmO* wrote: »
    2015 KBS

It really is an incredible beer. If it wasn’t for the abv, cost and availability I could drink this all night.

I have the best part of a crate of it :cool:

:pac:

2015 that is

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    I have the best part of a crate of it :cool:

:pac:

2015 that is

God bless your self restraint. :eek:

Advertisement