Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

slayerking wrote: »
    Anyone try the new Guinness Rye pale ale yet?
    I had the microbrewed version of it back in May. Wasn't impressed. The scaled-up version will be UK-only for the moment, it says here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

finish my masters tomorrow so will be out on the tear in galway hoping to try the new cigar city colab.

was hoping to celebrate with a couple of pliney the elders to see what the fuss was about but a friend who was bringing them back mysteriously "lost" them :mad:

That said I'll be starting with a st bernardus six pack thats been sitting watching me as I write my thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

BeerNut wrote: »
    I had the microbrewed version of it back in May. Wasn't impressed. The scaled-up version will be UK-only for the moment, it says here.

Interesting, they have bottles of it in Supervalu in Ashtown at the mo so I assume they've decided to make it available here too. I'll have to grab a bottle tomorrow and give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Siren 5-Alarm so much chilli

Are you sure its 5 alarm and not 4 or even a 3 alarm?

I was in two off licenses today which will remain nameless in the search of a can of Centennial that isn't older than I am and sadly each one had the same out of date stock. It really didn't amuse me to be honest when they are all still at usual sale price.

Decided instead to open up a bottle of Timmermans Oude Geuze that I picked up a while back. Such a wonderful drink. I wish I had bought more than one now but we can rectify that tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Bought some founders centennial that was a year old for some reason recently, absolute garbage. Frustrating seeing all these seriously old IPAs sitting there, if they did some sort of deal/promotion once they begin to get old might be tempted to buy them more regularly. Pretty much never buy an IPA these days.

Had the phaeton collab ipa wasn't impressed, same for brewdog's new dipa, think I'm just done with hoppy beers now though. Although siren hillbilly, an oak aged ipa with passionfruit was great, but 7 euros for a glass at Brew Dock was hard to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Never knew what people were on about when talking about an onion taste from Big Bangin' IPA but got it earlier from a 500ml. Third of it gushed and on taste, it had a vaguely unpleasant savoury taste which I'd not experienced from it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Phaeton, enjoyed it.

Trouble Brewing Mango DIPA, poor, like a basic ipa with low levels of fruitiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

A few pints of Donegal Brewing Session IPA. Liked it, managed to keep enough hop in there, nice level of bitterness and at 4.3% a good session. Would definitely look for it again.

Also had Carrig Brewing brazen amber and coalface black IPA. Couldn't take to the amber but the black was decent, nice roast element to the favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Mrs Remanufactured brought me home a few bottles of Theakstons Old Peculiar from the north today. .looking forward to trying it.

• Advertisement

Mrs Remanufactured brought me home a few bottles of Theakstons Old Peculiar from the north today. .looking forward to trying it.

Always been one I've enjoyed.

Old Peculiar is a wonderful pint.

Decided to do an auld rummage through the fridge tonight. We have Boon Marriage Parfait and some Lindemans Kriek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Always been one I've enjoyed.

Very nice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Never knew what people were on about when talking about an onion taste from Big Bangin' IPA but got it earlier from a 500ml. Third of it gushed and on taste, it had a vaguely unpleasant savoury taste which I'd not experienced from it before.

Might be the simcoe hops, onion seems to be a characteristic.

Bought 5 for €10 Rogue beers in a certain Russian owned off licence in Cork, seriously meh. Couldn't see a BBD but reckoned they were old. Tweeted Rogue to be told that there is no distributor here in Ireland. Might be old UK stock moved through the trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

YellowBellys Kanagroo Jack is a wonderful stout with coffee and chocolate and a hint of smokiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a Dungarvan Thai Wit. Really nice, loads of lemongrass and lime with just a nice bit of spiciness

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I found a few bottles of Hopple Hammer from Whitewater Brewing in Tesco last week. I'd almost forgotten it existed! Had one yesterday and absolutely loved it. Beautiful beer.
    Spotted Galway Bay/Cigar City's Phaethon in a bar in town a few hours later and had to try it. €7 for the bottle. Nicer than Going Out West, but not worth seven quid (even considering pub mark-up).
    Sipping on a Dungarvan Seaweed Saison tonight. I don't usually like saisons, but I really like this one. :)

An File wrote: »
    I found a few bottles of Hopple Hammer from Whitewater Brewing in Tesco last week. I'd almost forgotten it existed! Had one yesterday and absolutely loved it. Beautiful beer.

Have a bottle of this waiting in the press, looking forward to it now.

Used to love White Waters Clotworthy Dobbin but never see it anymore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cast Iron wrote: »
    Used to love White Waters Clotworthy Dobbin but never see it anymore.

Tesco's selection just ain't what it used to be! The days of the likes of Fuller's London Porter are long gone. :(

Tesco's selection just ain't what it used to be! The days of the likes of Fuller's London Porter are long gone. :(

Too true.

It's still better than my local Dunnes selection which can be and is hidden behind a two foot wide pillar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Black Raven ipa 6.9%abv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

matrim wrote: »
    Having a Dungarvan Thai Wit. Really nice, loads of lemongrass and lime with just a nice bit of spiciness

Yeah I really liked this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'd say a fair few people (including me) started exploring beers other than the usual suspects (and then on to craft) when Tesco started those 5 for 10 deals (with a more decent sized selection) a few years back.

I'd say a fair few people (including me) started exploring beers other than the usual suspects (and then on to craft) when Tesco started those 5 for 10 deals (with a more decent sized selection) a few years back.

Easily the worst selection of all the multiples now. A shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I still get nostalgic for that month or two, a few years ago, when they had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Goose Island IPA, Porterhouse Plain, etc, for €1.50 a bottle. Good times....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I still get nostalgic for that month or two, a few years ago, when they had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Goose Island IPA, Porterhouse Plain, etc, for €1.50 a bottle. Good times....

What's driving the drop off in variety and selection?

It's not just the supermarkets, I was in Drinkstore recently for the first time in about two years and the selection was terrible, my local O'Brien'a is nearly as good. When I lived in Dublin it was my favourite offie as they'd such a wide selection, now it's average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Easily the worst selection of all the multiples now. A shame really.

They sent me a survey yesterday asking just that. I told them my opinion in no uncertain terms. They must be getting feedback about their lack of choice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    What's driving the drop off in variety and selection?
    I don't think there is one. My local SuperValu has a brilliant selection, Dunnes is consistently good any time I'm in one (including Crumlin Shopping Centre!) and Fresh in Smithfield's range rivals many a good independent off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Canned Brewing, Lakeboat Lager 5%abv

A very sweet tasting beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

My local doing a special in Wicklow wolf and Brehon Brewing.

Tried the WW porter and American style pale ale.
    Porter was good, very robust, not too heavy.
    ASPA, I was expecting to be like sierra Nevada but it was very flavoursome for such a light ale.
    Excellent for hot summer afternoons.

Will try Brehons offerings next weekend.

Advertisement