Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Northern Monk Strannik, Russian imperial stout, 9%, simply sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Lough Gill sour wheat ale earlier. I really liked this on draft at the last RDS festival but the can tonight wasn't great. Not sour enough and the wheat was quite bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

bLBccG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Don't seem to be able to embed images.

so here's a link https://imgur.com/a/2NO9k

Friends over from San fran brought these as a present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Dribk them ASAP. They're better as fresh as fresh can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Backwoods bastard is fantastic. Wish I bought more. One of the best I've had recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Trond wrote: »
    Backwoods bastard is fantastic. Wish I bought more. One of the best I've had recently...

Bought back 6pack for Xmas day and got a dinky little beer glass shaped like a sweetie bowl :)
    Cracking beer though 11% so it's quite potent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Let us know what you think of it. Ballast Point released a beer last year called Manta Ray. I thought it wa very similar to Pliny.

I was drinking the McGargles Pale Ale last night. It's been over a year since I last had it and it's much improved. I can remember not liking it before but it's a solid pale ale now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Is that the Rosie's? Yeah, it's decent when it's fresh.

• Advertisement

Is that the Rosie's? Yeah, it's decent when it's fresh.

The tap badge had it down as Pale Ale. I assume it's the same as the rosie but they are just dropping that branding

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can anyone tell me if O'Hara's did their barrel-aged Leann Folláin this year? I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Can anyone tell me if O'Hara's did their barrel-aged Leann Folláin this year? I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

They did. Aged in "Walsh's" barrels, but seeing as that distillery was only commissioned in 2016 it's probably Cooley or Bushmills barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

They did as far as I know. Had some of it uncarbonated from an O'Haras rep that took a bottle on bottling day. Was lovely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thank ye both. I'll keep looking. No sign of it in Dunnes this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I saw a bottle in drinkstore, didn't see the label so it could be an old bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

I saw it Martins in fairview I'm 99% sure, wasn't a price on view so I didn't buy it.

It was in Sweeney's a few months back. They've had it the last few years as well.

Any shops in the Limerick City area? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

VW 1 wrote: »
    Herself got me a trip to Bruges for Xmas, heading in March.

All brewery and beer related advice welcome! :D

The wife got us a trip to Bruges to for Xmas. Going the first weekend in February for the beer festival. Had anyone been to this before? Can't wait for it just wondering how I'm going to go the distance with all those beers on offer.

We've checked in a suitcase this time to bring some supplies home with us. Is there any restrictions on what you can carry other than weight? Going to have to come up with some system to protect them in transit. Second all those recommendations along with the Beer Wall down by the canal. It's touristy as hell but a very interesting place with great beer on tap. Also Cafe Rose Red is a great little spot.

Any other recommendations I'd love to hear too even though this will be my third time there. Tempted to hire a car and go to the cafe at Westvleteren even though they will be at the festival and I do intend to get to the brewery one of these days so not sure if it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Is there any restrictions on what you can carry other than weight?
    No.
    Going to have to come up with some system to protect them in transit.
    Bring bubblewrap.
    Any other recommendations I'd love to hear too even though this will be my third time there.
    If you haven't done the Bourgogne des Flandres brewery tour yet, it's fun. The café has a lovely terrace too, as does the Duvelorium, which I also think is fairly new.

BeerNut wrote: »
    No.

Bring bubblewrap.

If you haven't done the Bourgogne des Flandres brewery tour yet, it's fun. The café has a lovely terrace too, as does the Duvelorium, which I also think is fairly new.

Thanks Beernut. The Bourgogne is definitely in the list this time. We arrive Friday morning and don't leave till Monday afternoon so with Saturday and Sunday gone with the festival that still leaves a bit of time for more traditional sightseeing.

Might do the Halve Mann tour again as I haven't done it since the new pipe line opened.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I doubt it's much different. You can see the pipeline without paying for a tour: it's embedded in perspex at the entrance.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I doubt it's much different. You can see the pipeline without paying for a tour: it's embedded in perspex at the entrance.

Thanks, you've saved me a few euro. I like the restaurant there though, the Flemish stew made with their quad is delicious so will probably still head there.

Shame those Belgians know nothing about food. In Bruges anyway.

Presume the above is a piss take, there are some cracking French restaurants in Bruges. I'd a few top class meals there on my last visit.

Trond wrote: »
    Presume the above is a piss take, there are some cracking French restaurants in Bruges. I'd a few top class meals there on my last visit.

I don't go to Belgium to eat French food.

RasTa wrote: »

You'd be in an awful state coming home though if you lived on beer, chocolate, and frites. :pac:

I'm in Cork for the weekend. A little less glamorous than Bruges, but you could say Shandon is a bit like the bell-tower. I'm looking forward to checking out a few bars here tomorrow.

RasTa wrote: »

My point still stands.....

https://www.aluxurytravelblog.com/2015/05/25/bruges-belgiums-capital-of-fine-dining/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Does anyone ever get a sweaty aroma from Citra hops? It’s particularly unpleasant but it’s a bit weird.

Advertisement