Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Back to beer....

Magic Rock Common Grounds - lots to like but ultimately not great, no finish and v watery. Nice flavour to begin with. Maybe a Nitro version is the solution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'd be in an awful state coming home though if you lived on beer, chocolate, and frites. :pac:

I frequently go to a four day festival in .nl where I spend the entire time living on beer and frites met fritesaus.

And yes, you are in an awful state after it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Trond wrote: »

What point? Those are all Michelin star places.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wylam - 45:33

An expensive one but pure perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Omnipollo / Buxton Yellow Belly Peanut Butter Biscuit Stout. Still one of the best stouts I've ever had wish there was more availability in Ireland.

How they manage to get those flavors without using any of the ingredients is just phenomenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

from lidl crafty brewing . american style brown ale. 1.99 a bottle very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Had that at Christmas too. Very nice brown ale.

02-beers-primary-image-Sculpin.png

Yay, four corners are bringing Ballast Point over. Always wanted to try their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

RasTa wrote: »

Yay, four corners are bringing Ballast Point over. Always wanted to try their stuff.

Time to mortgage the house, sell a child to traffickers and find a rich person who needs a kidney so.

Ballast Point make some very good beers but they're not as OMGZAMAZEBALLS as some people make them out to be. I really like both grapefruit and pineapple sculpin though, make a love half and half too.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

02-beers-primary-image-Sculpin.png

Nice. Had Pineapple Sculpin this summer. Cracking beer

• Advertisement

Time to mortgage the house, sell a child to traffickers and find a rich person who needs a kidney so.

Ballast Point make some very good beers but they're not as OMGZAMAZEBALLS as some people make them out to be. I really like both grapefruit and pineapple sculpin though, make a love half and half too.
    I’ve been lucky enough to try quite a few BP beers and you’re right, they make some fantastic beers, but just like most breweries nowadays they make some ok beers too. I think we’re spoiled nowadays, they gulf in quality isn’t there anymore the way it used to be, which is cool. More choices is always great though.

The best US stuff I've tasted is from Modern Times. I'd love if we could get some of their fresh cans over here.

The best US stuff I've tasted is from Modern Times. I'd love if we could get some of their fresh cans over here.

Yeah they do so great stuff alright. Although personally I’d rate Founders (and a few others for that matter) above them.

Alfies currently have as a big a range of To Øl beers on that I've seen before. Theres a 15% stout thats €11.50 for 300ml !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

If they're bringing in Ballast Point beers I hope they don't forget Victory at Sea (imperial coffee/vanilla porter). Best beer I've had by them and should travel well given the strength/style.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ballast Point won't be in for about 8 weeks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

8 Degrees, Holly King. 9.8% abv. Imperial Stout aged in French oak wine barrels with Brett. C.

Enjoyed slowly over the course of the last three hours. Bleedin' gorgeous.

I had their Oak King Belgian style ale for New Year's Eve, but I was in the early stages of the flu and couldn't taste a thing. Will have to try and pick up another pair before they all disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Revisiting an old friend......
    Hard to get here in Cavan, but the local supermarket got in a load and it didn't sell.
    Bargain for me!

wqCXL57.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Got a bigger pic? Can't quite make it out :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They are bigger bottles, 550ml :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tried NBA once. Tasted like water wrung out of a dirty dishcloth.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Tried NBA once. Tasted like water wrung out of a dirty dishcloth.

Which begs the question...... how do you know water wrung out of a dirty dishcloth tastes like?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Has anyone tried the Boundary Brewing/Galway Bay collaboration yet? Harmonic Convergence. Barrel aged barley wine. 12%.

I picked up a bottle in Bradley's in Cork last week and I'm tempted to open it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I didn't rate it at all

Has anyone tried the Boundary Brewing/Galway Bay collaboration yet? Harmonic Convergence. Barrel aged barley wine. 12%.

I picked up a bottle in Bradley's in Cork last week and I'm tempted to open it tonight.

It's ok. The spirit is overpower. Going by social media it's Jesus's second act after he turned water into wine but I found it hard to get through the 33cl class I paid the soul of my first born child for.

It's ok. The spirit is overpower. Going by social media it's Jesus's second act after he turned water into wine but I found it hard to get through the 33cl class I paid the soul of my first born child for.

I'll let you know how I get on with 500 mls of the stuff. :pac:

I'll let you know how I get on with 500 mls of the stuff. :pac:

I bought two bottles and have them hidden in the back of the wardrobe to try with a bit of age on them. I think they'll age well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Local sub-supermarket (it's the biggest and widest stocked Centra in the world basically) has gone on a craft kick after a few years of only selling macro and a few Lithuanian beers. So the weekend ahead is all the big names of Irish that I can now buy 5 minutes wobble away.

Quite a lot of metalman and yellow belly has been bought and a strong recommendation to kinnegar has been made

Thornbridge - Eldon a Bourbon Imperial Stout. Beautiful stuff. Decent enough price for its 8%

I also picked up a bottle of Jaipur for old times sake. Oh how my tastebuds have changed. It tasted like a lightly hopped lager. It wasn’t bad, just not what I remember having (and loving) the first time I had it.

• Advertisement

Northern Monk Heathen - beautiful ipa. As good as I've had in a long time.

Advertisement