Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The White Hag - Olcan Barrel Aged Brett IPA

Great beer. Such a complex array of flavours.

Barrel Aged Black Boar from The White Hag is phenomenal. Not a million miles away from KBS imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,499 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I posted this in the Bargain Alerts forum at Xmas time, my local Spar/Eurospar filling station was selling a box of 24 for €15.

Not a bad beer for 62.5c per bottle.

15011393983554.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Sitting down to a Westvleteren 12, life doesn't get much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

two flagins of linden village plus 6 carlsberg best snake bite going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

jacob2 wrote: »
    two flagins of linden village plus 6 carlsberg best snake bite going

Nice, what ratio would you mix them in for the best snake bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trouble Brewing's Voodoo Logic is pretty powerful stuff. Maple syrup really creates a sweet drinkable imperial stout.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Trouble Brewing's Voodoo Logic is pretty powerful stuff. Maple syrup really creates a sweet drinkable imperial stout.

I think you forgot to put an "un" before drinkable. :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

VW 1 wrote: »
    Nice, what ratio would you mix them in for the best snake bite?

a big pot

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had a Trouble Brewing Rum & Raisins in Alfie Byrne's earlier. Starts off as a decent enough dubbel, but as I drank more of it it became a bit harder going as the sweetness was becoming a bit cloying. I think the real problem with it was that it was served as a pint. At 7.5% and being quite sweet I think it might have been better as a 33cl serving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Long time lurker, first time poster in here :eek:

I tried out a few new ones over the last while.

Dead Center Brewing - Marooned - I quite liked this one, I had tried a few oatmeal porters but oatmeal IPA sounded unusual enough for me to give it a try. At 5.5% its tasty and sessionable, one I'll definitely buy again.

BrewDog - Hello my name is Niamh - An elderflower double IPA. It doesn't feel as strong as its percentage suggests (8.2%), another nice one from BrewDog, but Elvis Juice is still my BrewDog weakness.

Trouble Brewing - Last Crash - I'm not sure on this one. First taste was not nice at all but it grew on me a little, but not enough to buy another (I think....or maybe I need one more to be sure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Dead Center Brewing - Marooned - I quite liked this one, I had tried a few oatmeal porters but oatmeal IPA sounded unusual enough for me to give it a try. At 5.5% its tasty and sessionable, one I'll definitely buy again.

I agree, this is one that caught me off guard. Lovely beer and one of my favourite Irish beers of last year. Very drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Long time lurker, first time poster in here :eek:

I tried out a few new ones over the last while.

BrewDog - Hello my name is Niamh - An elderflower double IPA. It doesn't feel as strong as its percentage suggests (8.2%), another nice one from BrewDog, but Elvis Juice is still my BrewDog weakness.

Trouble Brewing - Last Crash - I'm not sure on this one. First taste was not nice at all but it grew on me a little, but not enough to buy another (I think....or maybe I need one more to be sure).

No surprise to see another poor beer from Trouble, been at least two years since I've had anything decent from them.

Supping a Boyne Imperial Stout tonight. Really enjoyable, smooth as hell, tasting the strength, liquorice and treacle on the nose.

Supping a Boyne Imperial Stout tonight. Really enjoyable, smooth as hell, tasting the strength, liquorice and treacle on the nose.

Going to have to disagree massively. I've found trouble to be one of the consistently best breweries on the island over the last few years. Last crash and remix were fantastic, the various incarnations and of ambush were all exceptional, their dark mild was ridiculously sessionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Going to have to disagree massively. I've found trouble to be one of the consistently best breweries on the island over the last few years. Last crash and remix were fantastic, the various incarnations and of ambush were all exceptional, their dark mild was ridiculously sessionable.

Might have to try one of those then. Their last effort at a Saison was pitiful, I've had others they've made which have been letdowns too so I've been burned by them a number of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Dead Centre Brewing will have a new beer out in a few weeks , it's a session IPA called Source Code . Looking forward to trying it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

No surprise to see another poor beer from Trouble, been at least two years since I've had anything decent from them.

Their Ambush Pale Ale was one of the best Irish beers I had last year. It's fantastic. Try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I think I may have jumped the gun on Last Crash, the first mouthful was not great but near the end of the can I found it a lot nicer, I think I will need to grab another one to test.
    laros wrote: »
    Dead Centre Brewing will have a new beer out in a few weeks , it's a session IPA called Source Code . Looking forward to trying it

I'll be keeping an eye out for this definitely, the only thing I didn't like about Marooned was that I only had one to try ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jesus, they don't make beer ads like this anymore

https://twitter.com/timsoret/status/952971625946845186

Brewdog Mr President. 9.2% DIPA, 3 for £5.25 in the biggest tesco I've ever set foot.

So so, rather Mcgargles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

2 Tyskie, 1 Franziskaner, and err 1 Budweiser.

The can of bud tasted even worse than normal after a tasty Frankie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

KungPao wrote: »
    2 Tyskie, 1 Franziskaner, and err 1 Budweiser.

The can of bud tasted even worse than normal after a tasty Frankie.

Franziskaner is a smashing drink, not too heavy...nothing better than 3-4 of them on a warm summers evening:D:D:D

RasTa wrote: »
    Brewdog Mr President. 9.2% DIPA, 3 for £5.25 in the biggest tesco I've ever set foot.

So so, rather Mcgargles

It's just rebadged Hardcore. It's better than anything Rye River make when it's fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Had a bottle of Stone RuinTen triple IPA last night for the first time. Lovely stuff and you really get the orange peel. One that was def worth the price.

No chance, had it again and it's nowhere near the level of Double Banging. I even had a punk that said kegged on the 6th of Jan and that was awful.

Hope brewdog never opens in Dublin, something about them I don't like. The weatherspoons of craft beer. Actually I prefer spoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

No chance, had it again and it's nowhere near the level of Double Banging. I even had a punk that said kegged on the 6th of Jan and that was awful.

Hope brewdog never opens in Dublin, something about them I don't like. The weatherspoons of craft beer. Actually I prefer spoons.

That's nonsense tbf. They continue to make some cracking beer and some solid ones.

Coffee and cigarettes and Cocoa Psyco are both fantastic. Punk IPA and Elvis Juice are solid options.

Punk is also by far the biggest selling craft beer around..... They must be doing something right.

By that logic Bud must be doing something right.

I think it's the franchise part of their bars I hate. I've being in them now in Manchester, Tokyo, Barcelona, Stockholm and London.

All the same and nothing distinguishing about either

Coffee and cig is a colab and cocao is years old. They wound't even make the top 5 in most people's best UK brewery's at the moment. Might struggle for top ten

To be honest it sounds like confirmation bias on you part. You don't like Brewdog for some reason so you've decided it's not good.

I've had Double Banging IPA a few times and to be honest I think it's a pretty poor double IPA. It's thin in body and the alcohol is very warm for something of a fairly moderate alcohol content. of the three "banging" IPA's they make it's the poorest.

And that's before we get into the Rye River problem of their beers looking and tasting different every 3 months.

One month the IPA is crystal clear and thin bodied, the next it's chewy and hazey, then a while later it has clumps of sediment in it.

I know with Hardcore/Punk/BD in general what I'm getting every time I pop a bottle.

They wound't even make the top 5 in most people's best UK brewery's at the moment. Might struggle for top ten

If you did a joint UK and Ireland list no Irish brewery (north or south) would be in the top 20, to be fair.

• Advertisement

lol, rubbish.

Advertisement