Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

RasTa wrote: »

I think it's the franchise part of their bars I hate. I've being in them now in Manchester, Tokyo, Barcelona, Stockholm and London.

All the same and nothing distinguishing about either

Thinly veiled "I'm well travelled". Sorry had to be done. Why visit their bars if you dislike them so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

To see what guest beers they have

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

To see what guest beers they have
    Guest beers? That sounds like some sort of distinguishing feature :p

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

No chance, had it again and it's nowhere near the level of Double Banging. I even had a punk that said kegged on the 6th of Jan and that was awful.

Hope brewdog never opens in Dublin, something about them I don't like. The weatherspoons of craft beer. Actually I prefer spoons.

To be honest it sounds like confirmation bias on you part. You don't like Brewdog for some reason so you've decided it's not good.

I've had Double Banging IPA a few times and to be honest I think it's a pretty poor double IPA. It's thin in body and the alcohol is very warm for something of a fairly moderate alcohol content. of the three "banging" IPA's they make it's the poorest.

And that's before we get into the Rye River problem of their beers looking and tasting different every 3 months.

One month the IPA is crystal clear and thin bodied, the next it's chewy and hazey, then a while later it has clumps of sediment in it.

I know with Hardcore/Punk/BD in general what I'm getting every time I pop a bottle.
    I wouldn't consider double bangin to have a thin body and its 8%, that is hefty, booze tastes good. If  drinking alcopops, (NEIPAs) is your thing then I can understand the logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

If  drinking alcopops, (NEIPAs) is your thing .
    :rolleyes:

snob much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I hate brewdog. Stop trying to own the word "punk" while being as far from "punk" as can be. Their achievements are all publicity stunts with nothing to do with beer. Put a bottle into a dead rodent, make your company into a thinly veiled pyramid scheme, steal the name on bottles publicity stunt from Coca Cola. Beers stoink too, remember when ppl were going ape**** about the rarity of that NEIPA they did while there were far better examples of the style around?

I think their bars are the best thing about brewdog due to solid guest beers they get and don't charge too much for, or at least I remember this being the case earlier.

Galway Bay pubs however have a lot to do to become even decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

If  drinking alcopops, (NEIPAs) is your thing .
    :rolleyes:

snob much
    guilty as charged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

For those who think its drinkable Elvis Juice is currently 4 for a tenner in Stephens Street News :-) great value tbf....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Trond wrote: »
    For those who think its drinkable Elvis Juice is currently 4 for a tenner in Stephens Street News :-) great value tbf....

Got 4 for £6 in Asda at Christmas. Wiped out their stock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What beer am I drinking this week? Argus Strong :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

NE DIPA Citra & Mosaic by cloudwater. Yup, tis great. Only two people in their barrel store tap room place at 8pm.

It's being awhile since I've been in a bar with more staff then customers.

The other cloudwater I bought yesterday up tonight. It was canned on the 17th. DIPA Ekuanot Mosaic and it says on the tin they did a 25g/L dry hop which has is pretty ridiculous.

9% juice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The other cloudwater I bought yesterday up tonight. It was canned on the 17th. DIPA Ekuanot Mosaic and it says on the tin they did a 25g/L dry hop which has is pretty ridiculous.

9% juice

Would make you wonder how they have any beer left after adding that much hops to it!!

Had the Session IPA Citra Ekuanot during the summer. Nice enough, but wasn't as good as their usual standard.

Had a bottle of Harmonic Convergence by Galway Bay/Boundary earlier. 500ml @ 12% pretty much knocked me for six on a tired Friday night tbh, but that said, it's a cracking beer. It's on the malty end of a Barleywine, more like a sticky Scotch Ale. Reminds me of AleSmith Wee Heavy Scotch Ale which is an incredible beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Would make you wonder how they have any beer left after adding that much hops to it!!

You'd be praying to the efficiency gods that your centrifuge was working optimally that brew day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Treated myself to an Elvis Juice tonight, €6.50 for a 330ml in Caribou in Galway, thought it was mediocre at best. Home now and having a Crafty Brewing Company Irish IPA that cost €2.50 from Lidl. It's very nice.

Also picked up the last 3 bottles of 2017 KBS from O’Briens in Blanchardstown tonight. €6 each. Absolute steal at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Magic Rock Common Grounds Triple Coffee Porter

Enjoyed this even more than the first time I had it. Dark fruits, dark chocolate, a pretty distinctive coffee flavour too. Smooth and medium bodied. Picked it up in Stephen Street News earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Treated myself to an Elvis Juice tonight, €6.50 for a 330ml in Caribou in Galway, thought it was mediocre at best. Home now and having a Crafty Brewing Company Irish IPA that cost €2.50 from Lidl. It's very nice.

It's not great at that price.
    If you have gotten from the off license at about half that price, it wouldn't have been bad at all.

Treated myself to a Lervig passionfruit sour. It was very nice and still set itself apart from Yellowbellys Castaway (the benchmark for p/fruit sour).
    It was a darker shade than I expected, amber in colour, softer around the edges but had a little bit more gas too.

Four Provinces Brewing Torc Fiain on tap in Underdog. A really interesting DIPA. Distinctive and flavoursome with a good dose of hops.

450x450.jpg

Vocation Brewing Cloak & Dagger Oatmeal Stout

Smooth, roasted malt, easy to drink, nothing particularly distinctive but a very pleasant sup indeed. 5.9% ABV.

• Advertisement

8056-19360-v4_product_img.jpg

Beavertown Holy Cowbell India Stout

Dry, roasted malts, dark chocolate with a bitter finish. 5.6% ABV.

Picked up some CBS tonight. Just when you thought KBS couldn’t ge any better. Stuff is sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked up some CBS tonight. Just when you thought KBS couldn’t ge any better. Stuff is sublime.

The Salthouse in Galway is getting a keg of it.

jh79 wrote: »
    The Salthouse in Galway is getting a keg of it.

I’d imagine it won’t be cheap!

It’s fantastic though. The maple syrup adds such a lovely sweetness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Tried a bottle of Lidl's Crafty Brewing Co. Brown Ale, which seems to be a new addition.

Not bad at all! A sharper hop taste than I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing. Fair bit of sediment in the pour so it wasn't filtered well but I don't mind at all.

Could definitely drink more of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

T Fair bit of sediment in the pour so it wasn't filtered well but I don't mind at all.

Common problem with Rye River beers, one week it's crystal clear, next it's hazy, next it's full of clumps of sediment. Massive inconsistency.

Never ever thought i'd say this but cask ale is a millon times better then keg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone manage to get the Foam and Fury offer in Stephens St. News yesterday? 3 for €9 savage deal. Sold out now so I believe....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone manage to get the Foam and Fury offer in Stephens St. News yesterday? 3 for €9 savage deal. Sold out now so I believe....

Saw it on twitter but wasn't around to try and get it.

• Advertisement

Can confirm they are indeed sold out of OFAF. They've plenty of the other beers though. Had a good chat with the manager, he confirmed that they were a loss maker to get punters in the door. Good move imho. It created a bit of buzz about the place anyway. Picked up a couple tasty other beers to whet my whistle. He also said that they're expanding the craft beer area soon too.

Advertisement