Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

450x450.jpg

Vocation Brewing - Naughty & Nice Chocolate Stout

Does what it says on the tin. Chocolate, cocoa, caramel, smooth, medium bodied and just all round lovely stuff. 7.5% ABV.

beavertown-skull-king-dipa.jpg

Beavertown Skull King DIPA

Creamy, fresh and tropical DIPA with nice head too. Delicious. 9.2% ABV.

WylamPleasuresintheDarkness.jpg

Wylam & Hawkshead - Pleasures In The Darkness

My favourite kind of beer. Black and syrupy with lots of coffee and treacle. A nicely done Imperial Stout. 11% ABV.

image_472d8483-59a3-466a-ac4a-d73557902718_medium.jpg?v=1510318907

To Ol - Sweet Chai O' Mine

Milk Stout with some interesting notes in here. Brewed with a mixture of traditional chai ingredients; ginger, cardamom, cinnamon & star anise. It's rich and distinctive and one of the more unique stouts I've had lately. 8.2% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had a few new ones lately:

Founders CBS - nice, preferred it over KBS I think
    Lagunitas Gnarlywine - good barleywine, will pick this one up again
    Siren ship wrecked - nice BA porter but can't taste the tamarind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Two good ones by Omnipollo lately.

Selassie - Imp stout with coffee and vanilla 11%

Bianca - Mango lassi gose 3.5%

yum yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

jsa112 wrote: »
    Had a few new ones lately:

Founders CBS - nice, preferred it over KBS I think
    Lagunitas Gnarlywine - good barleywine, will pick this one up again
    Siren ship wrecked - nice BA porter but can't taste the tamarind

I had the Lagunitas Gnarley wine a few years ago. Very easy to drink, I’d live to see it with some age on it.
    Plu at $4 or $5 a bottle you can’t go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Any recommendations for Edinburgh? If possible somewhere that would be good for the rugby on Saturday and has a good beer selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Probably Andrew Usher & co for beers, don't think they will be showing the rugby.

Check untappd

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

matrim wrote: »
    Any recommendations for Edinburgh? If possible somewhere that would be good for the rugby on Saturday and has a good beer selection

Have a look at Brewhemia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anybody know where in Dublin is selling CBS? Want to pick up some tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I got it in Martin's in Fairview. I'd have thought any of the decent beer off licences would have it by now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I recommend The Caley Sample Room: excellent beer selection, big screens and comfy seats. It'll probably be packed though, so it depends on whether you're of the "Wow what an atmosphere" or "Ugh, this is uncomfortable" mindset.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Anybody know where in Dublin is selling CBS? Want to pick up some tomorrow.

I got some in Baggot Street Wines at the weekend. I also saw Blackrock Cellar tweeting that they had it in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Drinkstore have/had CBS

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

The Hanging Bat for sure (dunno about the rugby though). Had some really nice beers and their variety was great. The brewdog bar wasn't great, although they've opened a new one recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a Narwal. Such a great beer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Just back from three days in Brugge, these are ones I remember having, Straffe Hendrik Wild 2017, Stout Dupont, XX Bitter, Witte Zwaan, Zwarre Zwaan, Fort Lapin Wit, Brugse Zot Bruin, Fort Lapin Tripel. Forgot more than I had. Cafe Rose Red, tBrugse Beertje, Bauhaus, tPoatersgat and Comptoir Des Art are all excellent bars with great ranges too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Just back from three days in Brugge, these are ones I remember having, Straffe Hendrik Wild 2017, Stout Dupont, XX Bitter, Witte Zwaan, Zwarre Zwaan, Fort Lapin Wit, Brugse Zot Bruin, Fort Lapin Tripel. Forgot more than I had. Cafe Rose Red, tBrugse Beertje, Bauhaus, tPoatersgat and Comptoir Des Art are all excellent bars with great ranges too.

I stayed in the hostel at Bauhaus.
    It was heaven having so much lovely beer downstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Off there in the morning for the Beer festival, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

jsa112 wrote: »
    The Hanging Bat for sure (dunno about the rugby though). Had some really nice beers and their variety was great. The brewdog bar wasn't great, although they've opened a new one recently.

Fairly sure the Hanging Bat didn't have a telly when I was there, was a few years ago though. Great pub though, amazing selection.

Zaph wrote: »
    I got some in Baggot Street Wines at the weekend. I also saw Blackrock Cellar tweeting that they had it in stock.

Got one in Baggot Wines. Cheers.

I think somebody in here recently was asking about Founders Breakfast Stout. Just a heads up that Baggot Wines also have it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Got one in Baggot Wines. Cheers.

I think somebody in here recently was asking about Founders Breakfast Stout. Just a heads up that Baggot Wines also have it.

Breakfast.. stout. Now you have me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone had the Guinness Antwerpen stout? 4 for tenner in Tesco currently.

Trond wrote: »
    Anyone had the Guinness Antwerpen stout? 4 for tenner in Tesco currently.

It's not bad but I'd usually plump for Foreign Extra myself though which is much nicer IMO. Close enough ABV too (7.5 compared to 8).

4 x 8% stouts for a tenner is pretty decent value though.

Stephen Street News have CBS too.

Might be popping down for another CBS tomorrow. This is a superb beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

get as much as you can into you, there talking of 48 euro for a slab on another topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can they call it something other than CBS, I'm triggered :eek: ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Might be popping down for another CBS tomorrow. This is a superb beer.

If it's handy for you Stephen Street News tweeted that they're selling it for 8.79 a bottle, or 32.99 for a 4-pack. Baggot Street Wines are charging 9.50, with no discount for a 4-pack.

Advertisement