Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Are there any beer trade sites that cater to the Irish market?

I may have got my hands on some super fresh Heady Topper & Focal Banger that I’d be interested in trading.

I'll trade you a Westvleteren XII for the Heady Topper if you're interested. That and Pliny are on my must try list.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

aaronm13 wrote: »
    I'll trade you a Westvleteren XII for the Heady Topper if you're interested. That and Pliny are on my must try list.

Thanks for the offer but I was lucky enough to get one of the bricks of Westy when it was out a few years ago. So I’ve tried it a few times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thanks for the offer but I was lucky enough to get one of the bricks of Westy when it was out a few years ago. So I’ve tried it a few times

Boris the Crusher from me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Harvest Ale, limited edition brew from White Gypsy. 5.8%

Full of flavour. Na Piarsaigh got an unbelievable result in the hurling too, given the circumstances! Grand afternoon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

No problem, was worth a try. Was in New York and upstate New York last year and really thought I'd get to try it but no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

sheltered_web.jpg

Siren Sheltered Spirit

Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Porter with Tamarind. Wow, this is serious stuff. Rich, full flavoured Porter from one of the finest brewery's around. Moderate carbonation and light body but the sweet, intense, full flavoured Bourbon is just delicious. 14% ABV but I could drink it all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Had the other Sgt. Pepper earlier. Nom nom nom what a lovely tasty beer.

The White Hag Red Doe was pretty good, I'm not sure I'd rate it above Rascals Wunderbar though.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

lervig-toasted_maple_stout.jpg

Lervig Toasted Maple Stout

Maple syrup. Sweet and sticky. Rich and intense flavours and a lovely aroma to boot. Who knew maple syrup would make such a gorgeous Imperial Stout. Lervig certainly know how to do Stout and they do it like nobody else. 13% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,657 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had a Macardles on tap today for the first time in a decade+ of drinking and probably at least 500 pubs I've been in in Ireland. It's pretty decent for what it is actually.

beer_98973.jpg

Founders CBS

Tastes exactly like Lervig's Toasted Maple Stout but for €3 more. Still delicious though. 11.7% ABV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

2 cans of Dead Center's new APA. Massive technical fault while brewing. Both drain pours. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

What was the problem with the Dead Centre beers... ? I had one at the weekend and it was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

L1011 wrote: »
    I had a Macardles on tap today for the first time in a decade+ of drinking and probably at least 500 pubs I've been in in Ireland. It's pretty decent for what it is actually.

Lovely from a large bottle.

2 cans of Dead Center's new APA. Massive technical fault while brewing. Both drain pours. What a shame.

Get onto twitter with the batch number for them to recall if the case

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

2 cans of Dead Center's new APA. Massive technical fault while brewing.
    Nothing, massive or otherwise, wrong with the one I had at the weekend. What did you notice? It might be the contract canner rather than the brewing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Had a Russian River Beatification I picked up at the brewery this summer. Don't really rate the Russian River hoppy beers, but the sour BA ones are great and this one is the only fully spontaneously fermented. Really beautiful, got a slightly cheesy flavour.

Followed that with an Imperial Hose by De Garde which also featured a cheesy aroma & flavour. This might have been my favourite US sour - incredibly complex and fun while also easy to drink, could've crushed a few of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Dead Centre Marooned just tasted terrible when I had one, a powdery mouthfeel and vegetal aromas / flavour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm in London this week. Got to try a pint of Camden pale ale and a pint of Adnam's Ease Up IPA. Both were better than expected, especially the latter. Beautiful stuff after 3 hours in Westminster Abbey. I had a pint of Fullers London Pride yesterday and was underwhelmed, but over all I'm enjoying myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,657 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whats the normal expiry date length on Rye River products?

Local Maxol has the old "quaint" branding McGargles Big Banging with Oct18 on them. Got one today which tastes even hoppier than normal, the reverse of what you'd expect with age and there's no way its older than Oct 17 I presume

Have they kept the old labelling for different markets? The blander one I see everywhere else looks much much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Omnipollo / Buxton Original Texas Pecan Ice Cream

Nectar, in a similar vein to the yellow belly collab they've done previously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Couple of days in Westport so trying Mescan.Quite a range , all 330 ml and 3.49 in Supervalu there. Incidentally this a great supermarket with a big range of craft and local beer.

Anyway their Saison [72] was lovely..nice tart flavour. I also really liked their Wesport red triple {61} (8.5%). This was well up with the various belgian triples I have tasted. Their Wesport white {69} and Westport extra {67} were fine but didnt do much for me. I also had a Westporter stout with a meal (steak)....it went well with it. This is not as heavy as Guinness but a nice sharper taste.

They have a few others I may get round to. I like the idea of brew numbers and their wide variety of styles. They describe themselves as Belgian style beer and even do a Kriek ! I can tell you without tasting it that I dont like ( I hate krieks!). Possibly a bit pricey for everyday but well worth supporting. Overall I am impressed.

Edit...Centra Westport Quay have a smaller selection at 2.99!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

sceach16 wrote: »
    They have a few others I may get round to.
    The Special Reserve winter ale is really good too.
    They describe themselves as Belgian style beer
    Co-owner Bart is actually Belgian so it's not just a label :)

And kriek is a very broad range of beer. A syrupy wheat beer like Floris Kriek has almost nothing in common with a spotaneously fermented and matured kriek like Cantillon Lou Pepe. There's a kriek out there for everyone!

In Westport for a few days. Trying local beers. Oilean Eadaigh / Islandeady West Mayo is new to me . Had 500 ml bottles for about 3.50 each. Clew Bay Sunset Irish Red ale and Paddys Pilgrim Porter.

They were both acceptable but didnt do much for me. Both tasted fairly well generic .

Expensive fridge. Got a couple of their 3rd anniversary cans.

Tried a baltic porter inside twas nice, all beer 3 quid which was decent however 8.5% a 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mikkeller NYC Filthy Flow IPA. Thick gloopy IPA that’s like alcoholic fruit juice packed with hops. Lovely

Tiny Rebel, imperial puft porter, BrewDog bar in Camden. God damn. I had a glass of it after dinner a few hours ago. Don't think I've ever had anything quite like it.

My girlfriend had a glass of the Origins sour from Crooked Stave. Another gorgeous beer. Well worth the trip on the Tube.

Enjoying a can of Holy Cowbell now. I know how to relax on holiday. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was in Peterborough during the week and amongst all the usual real cask ales I had Night of the Ryeclops a cracking Rye stout, anyone know if it is available in bottle\can here? Also brewdogs Mr president at 3 bottle's for a fiver was had!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stopped in Pmac's last night and had a drop of beavertown gamma ray....always tastes great.
    Went on to Against the Grain and asked the brother to pick me out a beer while I went to the toilet. Came back and he'd got me a Trouble Brewing Killwater Sour......I hate sours. 2 small mouthfuls and it sat there untouched.
    Finished in my local with a Yellowbelly Commotion Lotion. Couldn't believe the fizzy head when I poured it and it took and age to settle. Not bad but nothing special.

In Westport for a few days. Trying local beers. Oilean Eadaigh / Islandeady West Mayo is new to me . Had 500 ml bottles for about 3.50 each. Clew Bay Sunset Irish Red ale and Paddys Pilgrim Porter.

They were both acceptable but didnt do much for me. Both tasted fairly well generic .

I saw these on draft in McGings.Did not try them but had a Connacht Champions Red Ale. I enjoyed it and would recommend. I wonder now would the others taste better on draft !

• Advertisement

A few more I tried last week

Real Deal Amber Ale 500ml c 3.50 fom Crossmolina. Enjoyable.

Bridewell lager from Oughterard. Had this on draft in Kings, Clifden. I liked it very much . Nice fruity and a good body. Had it at lunchtime(holidays!) when I would normally have Bud. Much nicer and one to have again.

Independent Brewing Company An Cheathru Rua / Carraroe. 500 ml c3.50. Coconut Porter. Tasted like porter with a coconut flavour! Very rich and smooth. Glad I tried it.

Black Donkey Sheep Stealer
    from Roscommon. Irish Farmhouse Ale 50 cl, c3.50. Nice smooth full bodied. I liked.

Overall comment ....some nice beers and great to see variety. Drank only one Guinness . Pleased to support local brewers and enjoyed them. Mescan was easily the best (see earlier post) but all were worth trying.

Advertisement