Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

cereal.jpg

Siren Cerealist Manifesto

Siren keep doing it. Another impeccable Imperial Stout from Siren on tap in The Beer Market. Milk Chocolate with cinnamon though it's not overly sweet either, nicely balanced with a nice hint of coffee. 9% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Following today in Brody's American Taphouse, Den Haag:

1. Sixpoint Resin Imperial IPA.
    2. Goose Island Goose IPA.
    3. Anderson Valley Heelch O' Hops Imperial IPA.
    4. Rogue Ales 7 Hop Imperial IPA.

Sixpoint Resin was the the pick of the 4, wonderful hoppy Imperial the way i like them, but could not fault the other 3 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

sceach16 wrote: »
    I saw these on draft in McGings.Did not try them but had a Connacht Champions Red Ale. I enjoyed it and would recommend. I wonder now would the others taste better on draft !

When they first went into kegging the Paddy's Porter was not getting on well at all. One of the local barmen tried it by bypassing a cooler and it worked a treat. Clew Bay Sunset is excellent on tap as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Having an Old Engine Oil with lunch
    ifr6vn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Northern Monk's Blueberry and Mosaic Black Ipa is phenomenal. 2 of them and 2 Heathen's, Good night so far...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Oldest canned on 16th Feb and youngest yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Founders "Backwoods Bastard" & their "DKML" barrel aged series....can't fault them...Def the best I've tasted in this line.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was in Alfie Byrne's last night and when they were out of what I initially ordered I decided to have Lervig Three Bean Stout. OK, so the price is shocking and didn't realise how much it was when I ordered it (€9.50 for a 33cl glass, although it is 13%), but it is a truly spectacular beer. I've had vanilla and chocolate stouts before so thought I knew what I was in for, but presumably it was the tonka bean that gave it such an amazing aroma and flavour. I could have happily drank it all night if it wasn't for a) the price; and b) you'd be picking me up off the floor after not too many of them.

Followed it with an Oskar Blues Old Chub. Not as sweet as other scotch ales I've had, although the stout was quite sweet so it could have had a little to do with that, but it's a great beer. Maybe not as good as Founders Dirty Bastard, but not too far off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Founders CML and Beavertown, More Cowbell. Tonight was a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Had the Beavertown/Cloudwater Do not open till 1985 DIPA. Really liked it but thought it was a little too sweet, must be lactose in it as it did have a great mouth feel. So easy to drink for 9%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Lervigs Maple Stout is a thing of beauty. How its 12% I'll never know

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Cider. I've got four six-packs of different kinds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Zaph wrote: »
    Was in Alfie Byrne's last night and when they were out of what I initially ordered I decided to have Lervig Three Bean Stout. OK, so the price is shocking and didn't realise how much it was when I ordered it (€9.50 for a 33cl glass, although it is 13%), but it is a truly spectacular beer. I've had vanilla and chocolate stouts before so thought I knew what I was in for, but presumably it was the tonka bean that gave it such an amazing aroma and flavour. I could have happily drank it all night if it wasn't for a) the price; and b) you'd be picking me up off the floor after not too many of them.

The Guinness Open Gate brewery had a kind of mini stout festival for International stout day back in November. They had Three bean stout (and some other amazing stouts) on for it for something like a fiver for 2/3 pour.... amazing stuff.

rascal-s-bourbon-milkshake-sto.jpg

Rascals Bourbon Milkshake Stout

Nice and smooth. The vanilla and bourbon are most prominent and overall it's a very pleasant sup.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lagunitas Cappuccino stout. 650ml bottle. I like how the label still says "limited release". Drinking it from a Duvel glass, and it's lasted the guts of 3 hours. Beautiful treat for a cold night.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

If anyone is interested in some cheap beer just go to https://www.beer52.com/football and choose the type of case you want eg. light beers such as IPAs or darker beers. You have to pay 5.95 pounds p&p plus parcel wizard cost. Its a subscription box but you can cancel anytime.
    I don't think it is worth the 24 pound price tag at all but the current deal isn't bad and only took a couple of days to arrive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in some cheap beer just go to https://www.beer52.com/football and choose the type of case you want eg. light beers such as IPAs or darker beers. You have to pay 5.95 pounds p&p plus parcel wizard cost. Its a subscription box but you can cancel anytime.
    I don't think it is worth the 24 pound price tag at all but the current deal isn't bad and only took a couple of days to arrive.
    Just to note that items which attract duty, like beer, are against Parcel Wizard rules, and Beer52 have quite a bad reputation for the way they deal with breweries.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

BeerNut wrote: »
    Just to note that items which attract duty, like beer, are against Parcel Wizard rules, and Beer52 have quite a bad reputation for the way they deal with breweries.

Parcel wizard had actually opened the box and still shipped it on to me. I've also used them multiple times for beer orders with no problems but you're right in saying that it is against rules so always a chance your beer doesn't make it. Can't comment on Beer52's reputation regarding relationships with breweries and it's not my concern as a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Storm Emma survival kit:

No idea how much snow fell in Limerick last night, but I was buried 200 Fathoms deep.

Might have that bottle of Harmonic Convergence this evening, now that all the local soccer and GAA is cancelled for the weekend.

• Advertisement

1502217723cocoa.jpg

Brewdog Cocoa Psycho

Does what it says on the tin. Heavy on the cocoa and thick, black and syrupy. Moderate bitterness but a good choice for the night that's in it. 10% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I’ve been working my way through various beers in my beer stash over the last few evenings. Tonight I had a 2016 200 Fathoms. Didn’t like this when it was released, and thought it was slightly improved when I had a bottle of it last year. But it has really improved after a couple of years ageing. Really knocked the aggressive alcohol edge off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I’ve been working my way through various beers in my beer stash over the last few evenings. Tonight I had a 2016 200 Fathoms. Didn’t like this when it was released, and thought it was slightly improved when I had a bottle of it last year. But it has really improved after a couple of years ageing. Really knocked the aggressive alcohol edge off it.

Had one earlier in the week and it has really improved.

Had a Guinness milk stout earlier and liked it. Not the best one out there but a good beer.

I think track are a better brewery then cloudwater.

of3pms.jpg

DWvrR-DXcAUc7yt.jpg

Wicklow Wolf Born 'n Bread

Described as an Irish Brown Bread and Marmalade Oatmeal Stout, the Marmalade permeates through this quite nicely without being cloying. Distinctive and well balanced and nice to see Irish brewers throw some interesting notes into their beers. 5.5% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

That beaver/cloudwater is my beer of the year so far. Although a mate poured his down the sink last night so ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

RasTa wrote: »
    That beaver/cloudwater is my beer of the year so far. Although a mate poured his down the sink last night so ye know.

It's a cracking beer alright. Cloudwater can do no wrong.

file.jpg

Wylam Macchiato

Hazelnut Praline Coffee Porter. Without doubt the nuttiest Porter I've had as yet. Praline and hazelnut dominate and while it's nice and creamy, one glass of this is enough as it can get cloying. 6.5% ABV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mikkeller & Three Flyods - Risgoop. Like a Barleywine/US DIPA crossover. Rich chewy malty beer with piney hops without the full on bitterness. Beautiful

Advertisement