Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭FlicFlak

Had a bottle of that Solas brown porter by Rye River brewing from Tesco. Have to say, was actually amazeballs!
    Lovely taste of this stuff and 4 for a tenner aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone heading to the alltec festival? Lots of nice options on tap apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Having some "Of Foam and Fury" tonight at home. It's very nice but very pricy at €6 a bottle. I think Rye River have some better value options.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Picked up 2 different brews in the Stephen St 4 for €10 fridge this week. Unfortunately both are disappointing.

Sierra Nevada Nooner Pilsner - Meh initial taste, lacking in body, and just a hint of a slightly nasty aftertaste. Would have been better off with a good macro pilsner - Spaten, Staropramen, Budvar, Pilsner Urquell, Tyskie etc.

Vocation Cloak & Dagger Oatmeal Stout - Nothing special. Not a patch on the White Hag Black Sow Nitro Coffee Milk Stout* I got a couple of weeks back.

* Thought I'd written about that here, but apparently not. It's nitro but no widget in the can, you just open it and upend it as quickly as possible into a pint glass (330mL can, but need to allow for expansion) and when it settles down you have a creamy nitro head on top of a really tasty stout with nice coffee flavours (I don't drink coffee!! but I liked this) and just a bit but not too much of sweet lactose milk flavours at the end. Lovely.

445180.jpg
    IMG_4982_400x400_crop_center.JPG?v=1512156763

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Porterhouse bounty hunter stout... Had high hopes but smells like a yeast starter - very intense yeast/bready smell off it. Thought I got a bad pint so tried it in bottle form and it's the same.
    Defo not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dead center brewing’s session ale, called </sourcecode> quite nice, light and refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Had Trouble Brewing's Space Juice DIPA in Underdog last night. Really enjoyed it. Very distinctive and one of the best DIPA's from an Irish brewery imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Having some "Of Foam and Fury" tonight at home. It's very nice but very pricy at €6 a bottle. I think Rye River have some better value options.

6e is relatively cheap for the best dipa on the market imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

I have to agree, six quid for a beer of that quality is good value.

When you put it in context, if you're out in town you could easily be charged that for a pint of Guinness.

A Guinness in my local is 4.70, I'd much rather sit at home with OFAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bierhaus doing a Belgian theme the last few days. Had a Kwaremont Blonde and Petrus Roodbruin, both excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Bierhaus doing a Belgian theme the last few days. Had a Kwaremont Blonde and Petrus Roodbruin, both excellent.

They also have Founders CBS on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Anyone know where I can get hopfully beer in Dublin? My local in Blackrock hasn't had any to date as far as I know and the local O Briens doesn't have it either.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get hopfully beer in Dublin? My local in Blackrock hasn't had any to date as far as I know and the local O Briens doesn't have it either.

Thanks

Just checked my untappd, bought all mine in Devaneys dundrum, was December though.

Just checked my untappd, bought all mine in Devaneys dundrum, was December though.

Thanks, I'll take a look in there. Surprised they aren't more widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

RasTa wrote: »
    That beaver/cloudwater is my beer of the year so far. Although a mate poured his down the sink last night so ye know.

Thought it was amazing. Also had the Wicklow Wolf Marmalade one, very nice too but the Cloudwater x Beavertown was stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Yep ! Beavertown X Cloudwater 1985 is my beer of the last few yrs if I'm honest.
    It was unbelievable at all tech and had a can last night , as good in can as it was on draught.

Edit : Who in their right mind could pour that down the sink :P

Had the Beavertown x Cloudwater beer at Alltech and wasn' overly impressed. I liked the funky, cheesy aroma but thought it was a bit sweet and syrupy. Not bad but nothing special either.
    I thought Hopfully Sakura and the passion fruit sour by Blacks were the best I tried.

Uncle_moe wrote:
    Had the Beavertown x Cloudwater beer at Alltech and wasn' overly impressed. I liked the funky, cheesy aroma but thought it was a bit sweet and syrupy. Not bad but nothing special either. I thought Hopfully Sakura and the passion fruit sour by Blacks were the best I tried.

Funnily enough I tried the passion fruit from blacks at all tech too and didn't like it at all .. and I really like the yellow belly passion fruit sour! Go figure

Different strokes for different folks I suppose

Thought it was amazing. Also had the Wicklow Wolf Marmalade one, very nice too but the Cloudwater x Beavertown was stunning.

Disliked that WW one greatly, too carbonated and too watery.
    Enjoyed the Hope Winter IPA, a red rye IPA. Very tasty.

Which Beavertown/Cloudwater beer are yiz talking about?

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote:
    Which Beavertown/Cloudwater beer are yiz talking about?

Do not open till 1985. DIPA

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Crafty Brewers from Lidi. Tried the Saison and America Brown Ale.
    Not too impressed with either, so won't revisit.
    Their Stout was ok and its pretty good value. Picked up a few for the match on Sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Had the Beavertown x Cloudwater beer at Alltech and wasn' overly impressed. I liked the funky, cheesy aroma but thought it was a bit sweet and syrupy. Not bad but nothing special either.
    I thought Hopfully Sakura and the passion fruit sour by Blacks were the best I tried.

Cheesy? It's pure fruit to me. Didn't try it at Altec but got some cans from Beavertown. It's an incredible beer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Tried Whiplash Embrace The Daylight tonight. Enjoyed it, it's very different and hard to nail it to a style (not that it has to conform to one). First few sips I thought the hops and chocolate malt clashed something wicked but once I was over that initial shock it became really pleasant and new. Anyone else tried it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone else tried it?
    I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Me, Myself & IPA by Uiltje Brewing. Yet to sample a bad beer by these lads, lovely hoppy, fruity IPA.

Wylam Hazelnut Praline Coffee Stout. Huge nutty hit off of this, mellows a little as it breathes, very nice, light carbonation and very smooth.

ianob7 wrote: »
    Do not open till 1985. DIPA

Had a few cans of this juicy badboy. Delicious altogether. One of the best DIPA's for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Any sightings of Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had the lervig BA barleywine, pretty good if you like that style. Definitely will get again.

Advertisement