Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Anarchist

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Boundary - Pale Ale...
    ok, a bit bland

Whiplash - Scadly porter
    Very nice, good beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Molloys in Finglas have seriously upped their craft beer game since I last visited. Huge selection up there at the moment with plans to expand their range even further.

Cleaned them out of Kinnegars White Rabbit and Yellowbelly sours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Trond wrote: »
    Molloys in Finglas have seriously upped their craft beer game since I last visited. Huge selection up there at the moment with plans to expand their range even further.

yeh bastard, I was going to call on me way home from work for some Yellowbelly :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It seems like all the Molloys have upped their game in that regard. You can also sign up for text updates for when they get new stuff in. Very handy. They tend to send the message on a Friday around 5. :D They definitely know what they're up to with the timing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It seems like all the Molloys have upped their game in that regard. You can also sign up for text updates for when they get new stuff in. Very handy. They tend to send the message on a Friday around 5. :D They definitely know what they're up to with the timing!

+1

My local is the Molloys in Clonsilla - great selection there. Very well laid out too - dedicated fridges to Irish craft beer, American beer and EU beer and a good selection on the shelf too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Veloce wrote: »
    +1

My local is the Molloys in Clonsilla - great selection there. Very well laid out too - dedicated fridges to Irish craft beer, American beer and EU beer and a good selection on the shelf too.

yeah it's a great shop that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Easily the worst selection of all the multiples now. A shame really.

Tesco are to stock Sweetwater Beers according to the Craft Beer Column in the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Tesco are to stock Sweetwater Beers according to the Craft Beer Column in the Sun.

I think it's a Tesco exclusive for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    What's driving the drop off in variety and selection?

It's not just the supermarkets, I was in Drinkstore recently for the first time in about two years and the selection was terrible, my local O'Brien'a is nearly as good. When I lived in Dublin it was my favourite offie as they'd such a wide selection, now it's average at best.

I would say its the the best in dublin .
    On a weeakly basic i would be doing my crafty shopping in mc hughs martins fresh market in smiethfield and drinkstore, and hands down drinkstore is the best,on the ball most off the time.and they are the cheapest.

But issue is how they manage shop and limited space.keep in mind selection of beers growing every week but shop size stays the same.
    Most of the stuff is at the back and you have to know what are you want to buy and ask them beforehand.
    But I asure you,brothers are always in top form. And i dout that your local obriens stock project tempus from beavertown or little gems from siren.
    Verry strange that they do not stock buxton beers but i can aways find them in redmond off licence but is a bit of drive.

There is so much to improve in terms of twiter new website and displaying beers but it not my shop. Still 75% of what i buy comes from drinstore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Will try Brehons offerings next weekend.

Don't suppose Shanco Dubh porter is in there? People have said it's a seasonal because I've not seen it for a long time and it's a great porter.
    Trond wrote: »

My nearest Molloys (well, about 15 minutes drive) are really decent as well. Always have something worth picking up. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Having Buxton's barrel aged Double Axe. It's sweet and syrupy. It has flavours with honey and orange. Hops are barely there with some nice spiced citrus character. Overall an intriguingly sweet beer with no hint of it's 10.4% alcohol. Very much a dessert beer.

Was in the Salthouse last night, they had Couldwater's DIPA v6 on tap, albeit at €9.50 for a 330ml pour. I had a taster, it was very nice, but at that price - extortionate.

Had a GB Phaeton, I found it very underwhelming. It joins the list of yet another overpriced GBB beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The foxes rock irish pale ale

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Just back from a trip to California and tried some amazing IPAs.
    Golden Road in LA is the best brewery I've come across in a while. Tried 3 IPAs from them, all west coast style and some of the best I've ever tried. Also had a saison and sour by them, all quality beers so if anyone is on the west coast or nevada keep an eye out for them.
    Also wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get green flash beers here in Ireland? They distribute to Europe but I've never seen them here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Golden Road in LA is the best brewery I've come across in a while. Tried 3 IPAs from them, all west coast style and some of the best I've ever tried. Also had a saison and sour by them, all quality beers so if anyone is on the west coast or nevada keep an eye out for them.
    ... before A-B InBev downgrades all the recipes :D

BeerNut wrote: »
    ... before A-B InBev downgrades all the recipes :D

Crap! didn't realise they sold out. Well there goes another good brewery.
    One thing to note, I tried some stuff by Ballast point who also sold out and they're beer was pretty good. Never tasted it prior to the sale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

The foxes rock irish pale ale

I liked this when I first had it on tap. Then proceeded to drink it for an entire w/e at a wedding. Cant drink it anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Crap! didn't realise they sold out. Well there goes another good brewery.
    One thing to note, I tried some stuff by Ballast point who also sold out and they're beer was pretty good. Never tasted it prior to the sale though.

What is selling out?

Ipso wrote: »
    What is selling out?

I meant it in the sense that they've sold up shop not in the sense that they are giving in to the "man" kind of thing. I think anyone would sell if some huge multi national offered a huge amount for their business. Just hope it doesn't lower standards and prevent new lines from coming out.
    Consolidation also makes it harder for smaller guys to keep competing which will inevitably mean less variety for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'll be heading over to NY & Boston soon, anybody got any recommendations? More so for NY as I'll be out in the sticks in Boston.

There's a great looking offy in NY https://www.goodbeernyc.com
    Some of their beers on FB look incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I'll be heading over to NY & Boston soon, anybody got any recommendations? More so for NY as I'll be out in the sticks in Boston.

Blind tiger and upright brew house are worth checking out

People swear by Torst, but my visit the beer was in poor condition (hill farmstead!!) and very expensive (8 dollars for 2cl)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

New York is on par with Norway beer price wise at the moment with the mental exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

oblivious wrote: »

People swear by Torst, but my visit the beer was in poor condition (hill farmstead!!) and very expensive (8 dollars for 2cl)

Now that is one seriously expensive beer!
    8 bucks for little more than half a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Check out Beer Culture and The Ginger Man. Both have incredible selection. Also the Brooklyn Brewery tour is definitely worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

An auld reliable from the Duty Free

gfdob.12yov8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I temember the Three Monkeys which is on the 50's close to Broadway being good.
    Also if you jump on the LIRR there is a nice brewery called Barrier near the East Rockaway stop, it'scabout 45 minutes from Penn Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

This has some good recommendations and will get you in the mood https://youtu.be/mQuzdXlC9aw

Also I know you may not be in Boston city but you should definitely try and get some take out from Trillium if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Second attempt at Francis' Big Bangin' IPA confirms that the first bottle was indeed a dud. This is very nice. It wouldn't blow me away, but it's definitely very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Jacko Traveler Pumpkin shandy : I really like this. Pumpkin cinnamon and nutmeg. I do enjoy pumpkin beers so I may be biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Passion fruit IPA.
    This is really good. Passion fruit and blood orange zest followed by a citrus hop.

It's a lovely tasty beer.

Advertisement