Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

On the Yellowbelly Citra Pale Ale today.. Absolutely lovely

Best Brewery in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Son0vagun wrote:
    Best Brewery in Ireland.

To be honest I haven't tasted any of their stuff before this.. Came across the cans in a supermarket offer so had to try.. But I subscribe to their monthly newsletter. So let me know if I should try any of the others available??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have had some pretty awful cans of YB Citra, however I still buy it. Seems to be an issue with Citra hops that sometimes the beer tastes of feet; because I've seen the same said of other brewers using it. Still buy it enough that my recycling bin is yellow aluminum mostly sometimes...

The rest of their range is all decent enough. The lager (black cans) is the only other permanent product, everything else is a short run and they do a huge number every year. The original bar is well worth a visit if you're ever in Wexford town.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Can't say I'm a big fan of Yellowbelly. I find their stuff very inconsistent. They had an IPA (Hopped in Space) that I liked and a nice passion fruit sour. Some of the others I've poured down the drain. Their strawberry sour was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Ya most of their beers are fairly average. However the passion fruit sour is one of the best sours around IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yellowbelly are the worst brewers in Ireland. Surprised anybody would have them as their number #1

RasTa wrote: »
    Yellowbelly are the worst brewers in Ireland. Surprised anybody would have them as their number #1

No Irish Brewery is as Creative or Prolific as YB. As a craft beer enthusiast they are a dream Brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as surprised as you were when they were in second place in your "best Irish brewery in 2017"? 4 months of being surprised is a lot :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Son0vagun wrote: »
    No Irish Brewery is as Creative or Prolific as YB. As a craft beer enthusiast they are a dream Brewery.

Ehh White Hag and Kinnegar, even Eight degrees say hello. Galway Bay too. All on another level then Yellowbelly

Ehh White Hag and Kinnegar, even Eight degrees say hello. Galway Bay too. All on another level then Yellowbelly

You forgot to add “IMO”

All top notch breweries IMO

• Advertisement

I'd have them near the bottom of my brewery list too ! Hope and rascals brew nicer beers too along with the others rasta mentioned

Had the Cloudwater enigma DIPA over the weekend. It's a cracking beer .. right up there with don't open before 1985 and lervigs liquid sex robot as my top DIPA's of the last 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just opened a bottle of Farmers Tan from 12 Acres.. Hoppy America Brown Ale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Yellowbelly are ok but nowhere near the best in Ireland. Whiplash would have to be up there for their DIPA's alone.

Trond wrote: »
    Yellowbelly are ok but nowhere near the best in Ireland. Whiplash would have to be up there for their DIPA's alone.

New one swoon is quite nice and so so reasonably priced:D

I do wish that they would brew one the orig brews "Let it Happen" again
    as it was excellent as DIPA's go

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Straffe Hendrik 11 quadrupel. First tried it this time of the year in 2013. I haven't had a bottle in far too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was about to try a can of left hands chai nitro stout and the ring pull just bent and came off ffs, can feels like it's gonna explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Was about to try a can of left hands chai nitro stout and the ring pull just bent and came off ffs, can feels like it's gonna explode.

Wouldnt usually be to my taste flavour wise but thought it was a great stout. Heard its arriving on tap soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Photo_17-04-2018_18_27_31_400x400_crop_center.jpg?v=1523997620

Whiplash Swoon

DIPA from Kildare's finest brewery at the moment. Citrus, tropical fruit, juicy, cloudy, medium body and a soft bitterness to give it some bite. 8% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Yeah, Swoon is excellent. I haven't been able to get my hands on Northern Lights though - is it a limited distribution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Underdog have Northern Lights on tap at the moment.
    https://taplist.io/taplist-269059
    Pricey, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Northern Lights is incredible. You genuinely would not guess the low abv on it. Absolutely packed with flavour and body.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's still a lot to pay to see a magic trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Not trying to justify high prices but I’d imagine it’s not cheap to produce given the amount of hops they must have to use.

Also, it’s a great drink if you want the hit from a hop monster without the abv.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really liked their older nitro. Nice milk stout.

Going back to Chimay Bleu quite a bit recently.
    Superb beer IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Whiplash is doing excellent work. Since moving their brewing to Larkins late last year the quality has increased to world class. Cans of Northern Lights are available in some usual suspect shops. Not a magic trick at all; the DIPAs can be quite heavy while this is just refreshing.

I also tried a New Ireland beer called Savage. A very run of the mill beer and the branding seems to be the biggest pull here. However, the branding is the most horrible ****e I've seen. Forced 'mad yokes' banter altogether so it is https://newirelandbeers.ie/discover-new-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

snowblind wrote: »
    Whiplash is doing excellent work. Since moving their brewing to Larkins late last year the quality has increased to world class. Cans of Northern Lights are available in some usual suspect shops. Not a magic trick at all; the DIPAs can be quite heavy while this is just refreshing. /[/url]

I think their still brewing some collaboration beer at rye river

oblivious wrote: »
    I think their still brewing some collaboration beer at rye river

Good. Their McGargles range is quite decent actually.

• Advertisement

snowblind wrote: »
    Whiplash is doing excellent work. Since moving their brewing to Larkins late last year the quality has increased to world class. Cans of Northern Lights are available in some usual suspect shops. Not a magic trick at all; the DIPAs can be quite heavy while this is just refreshing.

I also tried a New Ireland beer called Savage. A very run of the mill beer and the branding seems to be the biggest pull here. However, the branding is the most horrible ****e I've seen. Forced 'mad yokes' banter altogether so it is https://newirelandbeers.ie/discover-new-ireland/

Jeez that looks like some bad clipart job.

Advertisement