Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know it's referencing the place and not the company but all I can think of is my fecking pension with that name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

€7.95 for a 2.8% beer?!

lololol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Anybody else think Underdog's pricing is a tad prohibitive? Rarely anything under €6.50 regardless of ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pinkfrost

Passenger wrote: »
    Anybody else think Underdog's pricing is a tad prohibitive? Rarely anything under €6.50 regardless of ABV.
    Yes! 
    And it drives me nuts that they do not seem to serve halves which would make it seem cheaper.. Would be nice if they served 1/3's for the higher abvs too.
    Other then that....
    It is a great bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pinkfrost wrote: »
    Yes! 
    And it drives me nuts that they do not seem to serve halves which would make it seem cheaper.. Would be nice if they served 1/3's for the higher abvs too.
    Other then that....
    It is a great bar.

Surely they serve halves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Passenger wrote: »

They have 5 beers under 6.50 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

matrim wrote: »
    They have 5 beers under 6.50 today.

A whole 25c and all. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The core stout, lager and cider are €6 but don't appear on the taplist, and there's often cask for €5. For the rotating stuff you can always wait until it shows up in a Galway Bay pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just opened a bottle of Wicklow Wolf Elevation Pale Ale.. It's very good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

BeerNut wrote: »
    The core stout, lager and cider are €6 but don't appear on the taplist, and there's often cask for €5. For the rotating stuff you can always wait until it shows up in a Galway Bay pub.

Those are good prices for Dublin! I haven't been in underdog since January, but I was impressed with the €5 cask pints, lovely friendly staff, usb charge points and the cleanest pub loos I have ever been in! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Le Trappe Quadrupel.

Belgian style, although I think it's Dutch.
    Lovely tropical fruits flavour and a mighty 10% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

Killarney Scarlet Pimpernel IPA.

Beautiful beer, my favourite so far I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Wylam futureshock. Very good black IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

HarvIestoun Old Engine Oil

Been to Germany a couple of times recently and got the taste for dark beers.

Stayed next to the Frankenheim brewery in Dusseldorf and thoroughly enjoyed their Altbier. Next was Berlin and sampled the Schwarzbier, again very pleasant and surprisingly thirst quenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Heading to Munich next week. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

CastielJ wrote: »
    Stayed next to the Frankenheim brewery in Dusseldorf and thoroughly enjoyed their Altbier. Next was Berlin and sampled the Schwarzbier, again very pleasant and surprisingly thirst quenching.
    Isn’t that the one where the waiting staff walk around with trays full of glasses waiting to give people top ups? They gave your beer mat a little tick to keep track of how many you had and you just used the beer mat as a tab until you paid.
    Their Altbier is beautiful. Was on a stags in Dusseldorf a good few years and myself and a mate happened upon Frankenheim while waiting on others. Absolutely loved the beer. So refreshing.
    We had to leave once the others arrived because they didn’t sell Heineken, or the beer tasted weird or some such nonsense. Can’t please everyone I suppose.

matrim wrote: »
    Heading to Munich next week. Any recommendations?
    Augustiner-Keller is worth the schlep. Schneider Bräuhaus is great but fills up quickly so best to go early. And Camba Bavaria's Tap-House is great when you want a break from traditional beer styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Isn’t that the one where the waiting staff walk around with trays full of glasses waiting to give people top ups? They gave your beer mat a little tick to keep track of how many you had and you just used the beer mat as a tab until you paid.
    Their Altbier is beautiful. Was on a stags in Dusseldorf a good few years and myself and a mate happened upon Frankenheim while waiting on others. Absolutely loved the beer. So refreshing.
    We had to leave once the others arrived because they didn’t sell Heineken, or the beer tasted weird or some such nonsense. Can’t please everyone I suppose.

If you are ever back there again, try the Fuchschen or Schumacher alts.
    I was there for a year and thought they were the nicest altbiers.
    Don't think anyone stocks them in Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If you are ever back there again, try the Fuchschen or Schumacher alts.
    I was there for a year and thought they were the nicest altbiers.
    Don't think anyone stocks them in Ireland unfortunately.

I did try some in another bar that wasn't as nice. Don't think it was either of those 2 though.

Drinkstore used to always have one in stock. Can't remember the name.

Bottled an hour ago. In the fridges now. Vernal DIPA w/ @BurntMillBeer

I'll be going down to Track's taproom to pick up above in a few hours. Think 5hrs in bottle will be my freshest so far.

Lots of love for Verdant over here but their beers are hard to get and now topping £7 a can for some of them. They are being compared to Tree House and Trillium so might grab something from the store some day, cloudwater aren't that great imo for what they charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Some IPAs (I've only noticed this on the NE style) actually get better as they get older. I mean a week or two. There can be a certain kind of hop burn there when it's fresh that can be cloying. But it's awesome the freshness trend has caught on, I've only managed to get 'too fresh' beers on my trips to the states.

Currently drinking a Double Heathen my Northern Monk. Definitely one of the better 10 percenters there. Should've bought a Northern Lights to balance this out....

My brother started importing Whiplash to Finland and it seems to be going down very well indeed...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I did try some in another bar that wasn't as nice. Don't think it was either of those 2 though.

Drinkstore used to always have one in stock. Can't remember the name.

Zum Schlussel? Was there with a load of Boardsies on a BGRH outing years ago. Really tasty altbier, and the pork knuckle reduced one of the group to tears due to the sheer size of it.

Only altbiers I've seen in Ireland were Brewdog Candy Kaiser, which was a bit watery and disappointing imo, and Northbound 33 Sticke Alt, which is a stronger version of altbier that I really enjoyed but unfortunately haven't seen it around for ages.

World class tonight with these offerings. £3 for a generous 1/3rd. Probably 12 if it was underdog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

I bought a few spare bottles of World's End by Black's when it was released in 2015, and I had one of them tonight. It's after aging really well, the chocolate flavours have eased back a little and the vanilla has gotten more intense. No noticeable off flavours and it still doesn't taste of the 8.5%. I haven't tasted any more recent batches of it to compare, so I'll have to pick up some soon. Down to the last one now though so I might have to wait for a special occasion.

I see Kinnegar have teased a double IPA label. I cannot wait to try that when I'm back to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Love red ale - just had lovely drop of Kilanny

BTW, why did McGargles not realease the Rosie Red in bottles 500ml - they seemed to have done all the others - now looks like it has disappeared :-(

Anyone have the skinny, and also recommend any reds ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I absolutely love the 5am Saint American Red Ale from Brewdog..

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

White Gypsy - stuuningly good drop

http://www.whitegypsy.ie/stockists.php

• Advertisement

thegeezer wrote: »
    why did McGargles not realease the Rosie Red in bottles 500ml
    Do you mean the Granny Mary's Red? Rosie is a pale ale, and is sold in 500ml bottles. I suspect the Red mostly goes to export, hence all 330ml bottles.

Advertisement