Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

BeerNut wrote: »
    Do you mean the Granny Mary's Red? Rosie is a pale ale, and is sold in 500ml bottles. I suspect the Red mostly goes to export, hence all 330ml bottles.

Yes, even had it on draught in Killiney Caste Hotel - absolutely gorgeous. But just as suddenly disappeared. Real shame cos it is probably best craft beer I have had in Ireland. Strange that the beer of the year is the only one NOT to be sold in 500ml bottles or draught ?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Siren's Trubbel is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

thegeezer wrote: »
    Yes, even had it on draught in Killiney Caste Hotel - absolutely gorgeous. But just as suddenly disappeared. Real shame cos it is probably best craft beer I have had in Ireland. Strange that the beer of the year is the only one NOT to be sold in 500ml bottles or draught ?

Best Brewery in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had a couple of pints of Trouble's Ambush in Idlewild at the weekend, just delicious. Have always loved Trouble's beers on tap but always found the bottles never matched up. Do their cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Had anyone else signed up for Brewdog's Fanzine? I just got an email this morning saying they have to suspend shipments to Ireland "due to a recent government change in Ireland" and paperwork.

Update: I followed up asking about the shipment (Fanzine no. 2) that was sent earlier in the week and was told it is likely to be destroyed by customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

thegeezer wrote: »

Beer of the year?? Janey Mac. I like a lot of their beers but that has got to be the most boring and bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

RonanC wrote: »
    Had anyone else signed up for Brewdog's Fanzine? I just got an email this morning saying they have to suspend shipments to Ireland "due to a recent government change in Ireland" and paperwork.

Update: I followed up asking about the shipment (Fanzine no. 2) that was sent earlier in the week and was told it is likely to be destroyed by customs.

Shocked to hear that Brew Dog still ship to Ireland. They have known about this problem for years and yet they still Do it.

Knowing about this issue I set up a parcel motel account, thinking it might be a bit of a loop hole. But my shipment was held for a month while Costoms were waiting to check it. It took emails everyday and several phone calls before I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would take it that they have had too many shipments caught - there has been no legislative change.

The more a specific route to try and get stuff around customs is used the more chance it has of being noticed. The Amazon + reshipper ones are next probably.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hope you're getting your money back. They're the ones who messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Beer of the year?? Janey Mac. I like a lot of their beers but that has got to be the most boring and bland.

Can be currently purchased in Dunnes 24 bottles for 18, was handy last week as I was pretty broke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Passenger wrote: »
    Photo_17-04-2018_18_27_31_400x400_crop_center.jpg?v=1523997620

Whiplash Swoon

DIPA from Kildare's finest brewery at the moment. Citrus, tropical fruit, juicy, cloudy, medium body and a soft bitterness to give it some bite. 8% ABV.

They brew in Wicklow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Because its now May, it's "Mai Bock" season in Germany.

Augustiner Heller Bock (so light, helles, as opposed to the dark stuff you get during lent) is out in very limited quantities and I'll be mostly drinking that in the coming week until the crate runs out.

It's not dissimilar to their Oktoberfest brew but it just seems to even more mellow and smooth. Definitely the best lager out of Augustiner, which is saying something.
    A bonus is that despite its strength (7%) a few bottles in the evening doesn't leave you in a heap the next morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    They brew in Wicklow :D

Only recently. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Can be currently purchased in Dunnes 24 bottles for 18, was handy last week as I was pretty broke

That's pretty good. They've a very nice selection of 4 for 10 deals in Dunnes at the moment. Throw in the 10€ off a €50 voucher and it becomes affordable very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Today is going to be an expensive day.
    In March 2016 we devoted a third of our cellar capacity to a single beer, DIPA v3. We are excited to brew it again as faithfully as we can to the original recipe. Hot side additions see the return of whole cone, new season Chinook and Citra hops, followed by an 8 g/L cold side dry hop, featuring Centennial, Citra, Mosaic, and Comet. It was fermented with WLP095 instead of the original Vermont ale yeast. 8.5% ABV

V
    This double IPA takes inspiration from our much loved 2016 DIPA v3, whilst reflecting modern tastes and processes. In changes from our original recipe, Flaked Oats were added to the malt bill, bittering hops reduced by 25%, and the dry hop charge increased. A 24 g/L hopgun infusion of new season Citra BBC, backed up by Chinook, Mosaic, and Comet, brings this 2018 iteration in line with our current DIPAs. 8.5% ABV

Plus another 3 or 4 I've to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Linky? Presume it's Cloudwater ?

Aye, Chubbles is also out and they have a collab with Verdant I might get. Also Track which is 5 doors down from Cloudwater have a Wylam collab and a Deya collab released today too.

All are DIPA's

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

RasTa wrote:
    Aye, Chubbles is also out and they have a collab with Verdant I might get. Also Track which is 5 doors down from Cloudwater have a Wylam collab and a Deya collab released today too.

Do you think we'll get to see chubbles cans here in Ireland again ?? Or will that just be for England ?

Absolutely loved chubbles . Think I bought like 5-6 cans of it when it was last here :D

Cloudwater is expensive but man they do brew some good ****

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Because its now May, it's "Mai Bock" season in Germany.

Augustiner Heller Bock (so light, helles, as opposed to the dark stuff you get during lent) is out in very limited quantities and I'll be mostly drinking that in the coming week until the crate runs out.

It's not dissimilar to their Oktoberfest brew but it just seems to even more mellow and smooth. Definitely the best lager out of Augustiner, which is saying something.
    A bonus is that despite its strength (7%) a few bottles in the evening doesn't leave you in a heap the next morning!

Hi, just back from Fruhlingfest and looking to pick up a crate of Augustiner. Where can I get such a crate??

Thanks

ianob7 wrote: »
    Do you think we'll get to see chubbles cans here in Ireland again ?? Or will that just be for England ?

Absolutely loved chubbles . Think I bought like 5-6 cans of it when it was last here :D

Cloudwater is expensive but man they do brew some good ****

Cloudwater aren't too bad I've noticed. This seems to be becoming the more normal price point over here when not buying direct from the brewery

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/northern-monk-x-other-half-x-equilibrium-infinity-vortex?utm_source=organic_social

£5.60 for the same beer on their site yesterday, sold out fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

I had two excellent beers from Ballast Point last night.

Manta Ray DIPA - lovely biscuity malt flavour with a citrus background, nice full mouthfeel as well.

Then their High West Barrel Aged Victory at Sea imperial porter. One of the best beers I've tasted in a while, huge flavours of vanilla coffee and bourbon. Really excellent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Son0vagun wrote: »

Shocked to hear that Brew Dog still ship to Ireland. They have known about this problem for years and yet they still Do it.

Knowing about this issue I set up a parcel motel account, thinking it might be a bit of a loop hole. But my shipment was held for a month while Costoms were waiting to check it. It took emails everyday and several phone calls before I got it.

What's the problem with shipping to Ireland?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Have this in the fridge along with the new aloha hazy IPA from them too .

Looking forward to the double now !

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

ianob7 wrote: »
    Have this in the fridge along with the new aloha hazy IPA from them too .

Looking forward to the double now !

Whats This?

Sh*t,thought I had quoted . I was referring to the new ballast point beers that came in . New DIPA, hazy IPA and a stout

£27 for the lot, still hurts

x22q37.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What's the problem with shipping to Ireland?
    Exporting requires paperwork and admin, and when you don't know that Ireland is a different country so haven't bothered with any of that, it's an unpleasant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    Exporting requires paperwork and admin, and when you don't know that Ireland is a different country so haven't bothered with any of that, it's an unpleasant surprise.

Slightly disingenuous. They do still ship to Ireland from their shop, just not with the Fanzine. Which in fairness, is due to the paperwork for involved.

I think where it fell down is that they never offered it to the Irish market but people still signed up trying to do it through Parcel Motel which we all know is a ship that has long since set sail.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My Stephen St News buys:

450044.jpg

We started off with a Founders Centtennial IPA 355mL. Not bad but tasted just a tad past its prime. BB 05/18. This was probably only in the 4 for 10 euro because of the date.

Next we had the much hyped Galway Bay Hearts & Feints Citra DIPA 8.5%, 440mL can. Slight whiff of what I can only describe as cat wee on opening. Very drinkable and hid the ABV really well, but given the cost and expectation, disappointingly lacking in taste and body. Would not buy again.

Then Ska Brewing Modus Mandarina - 6.8% - my favourite beer of the evening. A slight orange colour, nice head, a fine beer with plenty of hop flavours and a nice orange aftertaste.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    They do still ship to Ireland from their shop, .

And they shouldn't be doing so.

Advertisement