Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And they shouldn't be doing so.

If they’re providing the correct paperwork, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If they’re providing the correct paperwork, why not?

Correct paperwork with duty and vat paid to Irish Revenue?
    If they have that, no problem.
    I'd also be very, very surprised if they have that in place.

Correct paperwork with duty and vat paid to Irish Revenue?
    If they have that, no problem.
    I'd also be very, very surprised if they have that in place.

I’d be surprised if they didn’t tbh. It’s pretty obvious what their boxes contain. Surely they’d be seized if everything wasn’t in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

We started off with a Founders Centtennial IPA 355mL. Not bad but tasted just a tad past its prime. BB 05/18. This was probably only in the 4 for 10 euro because of the date.

My kingdom for fresh Centennial!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I’d be surprised if they didn’t tbh. It’s pretty obvious what their boxes contain. Surely they’d be seized if everything wasn’t in place?

I've never heard of any overseas online seller of alcohol with this arrangement. Maybe there have been some. I know many claim that all relevant duty and vat is paid but that's often just lies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

t0tbhk.jpg

Colour of that thing, closest beer I've had to just being actual fruit juice.

RasTa wrote: »

Is that a good or a bad thing for you?

I really don't like the whole neipa/juicy thing.
    To me they taste of tinned, concentrated juice. Reminds me of crappy B&B's.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

RasTa wrote:

That looks like straight up orange juice ! How was it ?? Nice cloudwater glass too btw

I've never heard of any overseas online seller of alcohol with this arrangement. Maybe there have been some. I know many claim that all relevant duty and vat is paid but that's often just lies.

Well if that is the case it’s Irish Revenue that are dropping the ball because it’s fairly obvious what’s being shipped as they’re shipped in BrewDog branded boxes.

Is that a good or a bad thing for you?

I really don't like the whole neipa/juicy thing.
    To me they taste of tinned, concentrated juice. Reminds me of crappy B&B's.
    ianob7 wrote: »
    That looks like straight up orange juice ! How was it ?? Nice cloudwater glass too btw

That's a Brewdog teku, yeah it was a strange experience. Didn't taste anything near 8% but was sipping away for over an hour. Some of these hop soup yokes can be a bit sweet but that just held it off with the bitterness.

Although I wouldn't drink two cans in one night.

• Advertisement

200778o.jpg

That was the best beer I had yesterday by Track and Wylam. Not sure what a sour mash ipa means because it just tasted like an old school IPA but creamy. Slight tartness but minimal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Having a bottle of Open Gate Pilsner (which I got free, thankfully). I'd swear it was Heineken if I didn't pour it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just opened a can of 8 Degrees Full Irish Single Malt IPA.. It's very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Really hope Four Provinces make Láidir Porter a core product. Decent ABV (6.2%), reasonably priced and a really solid porter. Could see this easily being up there with (and actually a bit better than) the likes of Wrasslers and Leann Follain as a great go-to porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Manta ray by Ballast point, an excellent west coast  DIPA. 
    Exalted IPA from stone. I love it, Loral hops taste like lime juice has been added to the beer.
    Scorpion bowl from Stone, absolutely zero on the nose. Little hop flavour and a bit sticky. A waste of cash, it was a very large bottle. 
    Aloha IPA from ballast point, very tropical notes from the yeast. Very smooth, almost too smooth. I'd buy again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Double Chin - Double Neck Oil (can from O'Brien's) by the legends at Beavertown. Best before 15/4/18. Perfect for celebrating a long run in Limerick today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had 2 pints of Blacks sour Wild thing in the sun in dalkey today, a beer made for a day like this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had a second can of Double Chin and a bottle of Hello My Name Is Niamh (Brewdog). Nice little buzz going now. I managed to pick up a last minute ticket for the Bell X1 gig in Limerick and couldn't face drinking whatever over-priced lager they're selling at the venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Had 2 pints of Blacks sour Wild thing in the sun in dalkey today, a beer made for a day like this.

They have that on draught in tullys in carlow so I'll definitely be trying it soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Manta ray by Ballast point, an excellent west coast  DIPA. 
    Exalted IPA from stone. I love it, Loral hops taste like lime juice has been added to the beer.
    Scorpion bowl from Stone, absolutely zero on the nose. Little hop flavour and a bit sticky. A waste of cash, it was a very large bottle. 
    Aloha IPA from ballast point, very tropical notes from the yeast. Very smooth, almost too smooth. I'd buy again.

Manta Ray reminded me a bit of Pliny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Had to pour a can of crooked stave down the sink, not for me at all and was surprised as it has so many good reviews.
    On a positive note, i really enjoyed Hedonic Escalation by Magic Rock. They don't do much wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Had to pour a can of crooked stave down the sink, not for me at all and was surprised as it has so many good reviews.
    On a positive note, i really enjoyed Hedonic Escalation by Magic Rock. They don't do much wrong.
    Hop Savant? Might be my favourite beer at the moment

snowblind wrote: »
    Hop Savant? Might be my favourite beer at the moment

Sorry, meant to specify the beer, but yes you are right. Just didn't like it at all. Another one that came close to throwing out was Hop City. I like last year's one but this was just sickly and quite dull.

Stop pouring out beer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A few of the Rye River DIPA again in stock, and picked up a bottle of Kinsale's Rocketship too, coz that's just lovely.
    Pity I can't find their Imperial Stout again :/

RasTa wrote: »
    Stop pouring out beer

Lol, I finished Hop City but didn't like it much. On two come to mind that I couldn't stomach in the last year, Hop Savant and a Strawberry sour by YellowBelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm currently staying with friends near Houston TX at the moment, so I'm indulging in some of the local brews. I've had two from Shiner TX: their classic Bock and their Ruby Redbird, the latter being a lager with grapefruit and ginger, though not so much as to make it gimmicky. Both are around 4% ABV. I also tried two seasonal brews from Saint Arnold, from Houston itself: their Summer Pils, which they call a "golden Munich-style Helles" (very nice, 4.9%), and then their Spring Bock. That one has nothing to do with South Africa, and is rather a seriously chewy Bock at 6.9% ABV. Their Fancy Lawnmower Kölsch is one of my all-time favourite summer beers, which I discovered on a previous visit here, but I'm not going to get to it on this visit, nor their White Noise witbier: too many beers, too little time!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I think I’ve found a new favourite brewery. Amager Bryghus. A Danish outfit. Having their Bordello Bandits India Pale Lager at the moment. Unbelievably good beer, and up to the standards of the other ones I’ve tried from them. Looking forward to trying some of their other beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Really enjoying McGargles export stout. Its surprising good imo. Bought it 3 or 4 times recently....

• Advertisement

The Bruery- Share This O.C.
    Imperial Stout with Orange Zest, Cacao Nibs and Vanilla Beans

Beautiful beer but very rich. 330ml bottle would probably be enough for one sitting though.

Advertisement