Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I see against the grain are charging 5.40 for 330ml of fresh price of kildare. No surprise that underdog are charging 6.25 for the same measure

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

RasTa wrote: »
    I see against the grain are charging 5.40 for 330ml of fresh price of kildare. No surprise that underdog are charging 6.25 for the same measure
    How is this batch tasting? Its one of the few NEIPAs that I like although I thought the cans were dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

How is this batch tasting? Its one of the few NEIPAs that I like although I thought the cans were dreadful.

It's not a New England is it ??? Thought it was a straight double myself

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I was actually very impressed with that beer. Best out of the 3 that I tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

ianob7 wrote: »

The label on taplist shows it as NEIPA

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

ianob7 wrote: »

Its very low on bitterness, cloudy and sweet,sticky & malty mouth feel. Fits the style of a DNEIPA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had a couple of pints of "Gilbeys" stout at the cricket on Saturday - really nice, not quite Wrasslers/Leann Folláin but nice surprise to get it as the only other options were Tiger or Heineken - found out today it was a Rye River brew for Gilbeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Had a couple of pints of "Gilbeys" stout at the cricket on Saturday - really nice, not quite Wrasslers/Leann Folláin but nice surprise to get it as the only other options were Tiger or Heineken - found out today it was a Rye River brew for Gilbeys.

Obviously went to your head ! It's Gibneys :D. It is a nice stout and a very good but often crowded pub.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

it was a Rye River brew for Gilbeys.
    That would be rebadged Uncle Frank's then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

VW 1 wrote:
    The label on taplist shows it as NEIPA

Its very low on bitterness, cloudy and sweet,sticky & malty mouth feel. Fits the style of a DNEIPA

Maybe they changed the brew slightly.. it was definitely not advertised as NEIPA when I had it last year

I love a good New England so hopefully this will be good in cans this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pauln90 wrote: »
    Heino

I'm not familiar with Heino.
    Where's it brewed?
    What style is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I'm not familiar with Heino.
    Where's it brewed?
    What style is it?

It's short for Heino Weiser. Brewed by Lough Gill in Sligo ;)

20161224_153959.jpg

n97 mini wrote:
    It's short for Heino Weiser. Brewed by Lough Gill in Sligo

That's a terrible terrible beer as an aside ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Northern+Monk+Brew+Co.+Pecan+Pie+Strannik.JPG?format=500w

Northern Monk Pecan Pie Strannik

Russian Imperial Stout that's dense, rich in flavour with no carbonation or head. It's sweet yet boozy with dark fruits, pecan and a dry finish. 10% ABV.

Aldi’s Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen is really nice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any tips on good bars for good beers in Liverpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Smokey mo's.

You wont get craft beer there, but you will get rave music and strobe lights at 2 in the afternoon :D

On a more serious note i had an exceptional plum porter in the ship and mitre which is a pub worth checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

VW 1 wrote: »

Smokey mo's.

You wont get craft beer there, but you will get rave music and strobe lights at 2 in the afternoon :D

On a more serious note i had an exceptional plum porter in the ship and mitre which is a pub worth checking.
    +1 for The Ship and Mitre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ship & Mitre for sure.

The Philharmonic is unmissable, more for the pub than the beers, but it's a Nicholson's house so the beer is reliably good too.

The Baltic Fleet is also good for cask; it used to brew its own but doesn't any more.

I haven't been to Black Lodge brewing but it looks cool, in that generic taproom way.

There's a BrewDog bar, of course.

And there's a BrewDog knock-off called Dead Crafty which is worth a look, if only because it's just across from the Ship & Mitre.

I covered a few of these in a blog post last year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thank ye. :) Just about to head over for a stag, but the real fun doesn't start until Saturday so I'll have time to explore a bit tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aj89

Had Kelly's Mountain Brew - Pride for the first time the other day... One of the nicest Pilsners I've had!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wild Beer Co Yokai. Yuzu, Umami and Balance is the description. It's excellent, burst of citrus followed by savoury seaweed and a peppery finish, so interesting and different. One for again. Feel like it would be better cold, which I'm the opposite to normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Super Bock from Lidl. To remind me it's really not that nice when I'm skulling it in the sun in two weeks time

L1011 wrote: »
    Super Bock from Lidl. To remind me it's really not that nice when I'm skulling it in the sun in two weeks time

It is nice on holidays though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It is nice on holidays though.

I agree. Hadn't been in Portugal for years until last year and ended up drinking a fair bit of it as anything craft-like was very difficult, although not completely impossible to find. Imo it's better than a lot of the local macro lagers that you expect to end up drinking when you're away somewhere sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bit of sun, 20 degrees and it's lovely. As is Sagres. Boot load will be coming to the house when I get there.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Bit of sun, 20 degrees and it's lovely. As is Sagres. Boot load will be coming to the house when I get there.

At it’ll only cost €4 :D

Advertisement