Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anything cold and somewhat alcoholic tastes nice when relaxing in the early evening of a hot day :)

Read up on Wikipedia about Super Bock, what's surprising is that they introduced a stout a few years ago which has done quite well - not the style you'd associate with popularity in a hot country - and have a pseudo-craft range as well.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

not the style you'd associate with popularity in a hot country.
    Apart from most of Africa and the Caribbean. Stout is a hot country style. People in cold countries don't really drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BaZmO* wrote: »
    At it’ll only cost €4 :D

If you're being robbed in tourist central at that.

Up North, the normal measure is the fino, 200ml, and usually 90c -2.56 a pint I work that out at!

Stout being cold/winter drink is basically Ireland & UK attitudes only. Although Denmark has much darker winter specials also I'm not sure what style they would officially be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

L1011 wrote: »
    If you're being robbed in tourist central at that.

Up North, the normal measure is the fino, 200ml, and usually 90c -2.56 a pint I work that out at!

I meant for a boot load!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Anything cold and somewhat alcoholic tastes nice when relaxing in the early evening of a hot day :)

Read up on Wikipedia about Super Bock, what's surprising is that they introduced a stout a few years ago which has done quite well - not the style you'd associate with popularity in a hot country - and have a pseudo-craft range as well.

First , it ain't a stout in Irish terms (IMO). It is more a black beer but it is a nice beer. I only drank it in January in the Algarve (en terrace) and it was vv nice...maybe it was the 20c!

• Advertisement

sceach16 wrote: »
    First , it ain't a stout in Irish terms (IMO). It is more a black beer but it is a nice beer. I only drank it in January in the Algarve (en terrace) and it was vv nice...maybe it was the 20c!

What’s the distinction? Are they both not beer?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I meant for a boot load!

Ah yes, close enough really - seem to remember it was sub 50c a bottle anyway.

BrewDog’s Eight-Bit NEIPA collaboration (with everyone!) is a great beer. Eight hops, eight brewers. Top stuff.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sierra Nevada Cherry Chocolate Stout. 8.5% of pure joy in a bottle, and a big bottle at that. It's rich with a big chocolate hit up front, although still surprisingly easy to drink. The cherry flavour is very much in the background, but becomes slightly more prominent as the beer warms a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tiny Rebel Dutty Vermont Ipa, super beer from a brewery who can do no wrong for me.

Yellowbelly Paul's On Holidays Maibock, very drinkable. Nice light Bock flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Harmonic convergence, absolutely beautiful.

Dark fruits, raisins, sweet syrupy, caramel, thick mouthfeel and strong taste of the whisky barrels it was in, very noticeable alcohol hit.

Really really excellent beer.

Followed up with the 2016 O'Haras imperial stout, anniversary edition. Such a let down, watery, chalky and bitter. My guess is it isn't as it should be, i had it at the time of purchase and it was a lot better than this. It must've been to do with storage.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

VW 1 wrote: »
    Followed up with the 2016 O'Haras imperial stout, anniversary edition. Such a let down, watery, chalky and bitter. My guess is it isn't as it should be, i had it at the time of purchase and it was a lot better than this. It must've been to do with storage.

My recollection of that beer was that it was quite a sweet beer with almost a syrupy feel to it. Pity it didn't age well because it was excellent when it came out.

Zaph wrote: »
    My recollection of that beer was that it was quite a sweet beer with almost a syrupy feel to it. Pity it didn't age well because it was excellent when it came out.

Disappointed myself, as is the case with most imperial stouts I buy, i bought one to drink and one to age. This was definitely not right, perhaps an issue with storage rather thsn the beer itself. Hopefully, for others anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

St Mel's Pale Ale, its pretty good!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

8 Degrees. The Holly King.

Holy f*cking sh*tsnacks, Archer, this is a great beer!

/Pam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Weihenstephaner, at €1.50 a bottle(local price) i’d be a silly man not to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

OOnegative wrote: »
    Weihenstephaner, at €1.50 a bottle(local price) i’d be a silly man not to!!

And where is this Local Price ?? :)

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    And where is this Local Price ?? :)

The Hague!!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

OOnegative wrote: »
    The Hague!!

:(

• Advertisement

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    :(

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Home to vote and Thumper is lovely I must say. Got a can of Eight bit for €4.85 in Molloys and that thing is £5.50 in the Cloudwater barrel store fridge and even more expensive online so not sure what's going on there

https://honestbrew.co.uk/shop/brewdog-eight-bit-neipa/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

RasTa wrote: »
    can of Eight bit for €4.85 in Molloys and that thing is £5.50 in the Cloudwater barrel store fridge and even more expensive online so not sure what's going on there

Got a can of Eight Bit in Drinkstore for €4.80. Nice, cloudy and juicy.

RasTa wrote: »
    Home to vote and Thumper is lovely I must say. Got a can of Eight bit for €4.85 in Molloys and that thing is £5.50 in the Cloudwater barrel store fridge and even more expensive online so not sure what's going on there

https://honestbrew.co.uk/shop/brewdog-eight-bit-neipa/

I was actually quite surprised at the price, especially considering the abv and size of the can, 8% for 500ml. Great value for a very good beer.

DeDrDyCVwAAjiTN.jpg

The graphics are a bit odd considering the fairly austere/striking standardised bottle ones; but solid colours might not transfer well to cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Enjoying Whiplash Rollover during this fine spell of weather. Very refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Spent a few days down South recently.

Two standout beers

Rising Sons belgian wheat beer style on draught c 5 euro. had it on a hot day and really liked it. Well described, lovely flavour.

A bottle of 12 Towers Red Organic Ale. Wow, big flavour and body. local to Youghal.

I also liked 12 o'clock Mass IPA on draught. quite a fresh lager style rather than red IPA.

Also had a Killarney Blonde which tastes like Dublin Blonde and Belfast Blonde and (IMO) like Carling.

Not mad about this Chai Milk Stout. Too much cinnamon

• Advertisement

Dogfish Head 90min IPA

Advertisement