Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Had Whiplash Clap Hands American Wheat on tap. It looks soupy was surprisingly refreshing on a hot day. Not too sweet or sickly, but would still like a little more bitterness to balance it out.

Thought the same myself. Nice beer but missing a bit of bitterness

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Had some very nice Immram from white hag last night in bierhouse in Cork.

Passenger wrote: »

De Molen Amarillo Imperial IPA

Best IPA I've had in a long time. Sweet, malty, full bodied, delicious.

I've seen a few bottles with similar labels in Bradley's here. Must check them out, bottoms up!

I'm an IPA drinker, and it's hard to find a good one in a bar.

My local in Cork is fionbara which serves @andunion Friday. Nice double IPA from Munich.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm an IPA drinker, and it's hard to find a good one in a bar.

My local in Cork is fionbara which serves @andunion Friday. Nice double IPA from Munich.

And now everyone knows me lol!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Enjoying the Lidl American Brown Ale (brewed by Rye River). Have to say, their range is fantastic value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a Wicklow Wold Ranchero Rauchbier this evening. Being a big Schlenkerla fan, I had set myself up for disappointment, but I thought it was great. Haven't found too many other beers brewers that can pull off a decent rauchbier, and when they do, it's usually a lot more expensive than Schlenkerla, so thumbs-up to Wicklow Wolf. Still pricey by comparison, but fair play to them for succeeding where so many (in my view) have fallen short.

That's top of my hitlist at the mo, love Schlenkerla. Is it on draft anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

igCorcaigh wrote:

That's a regular IPA if I'm not mistaken ??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Finally caved and popped open my 2012 bottle of Bourbon County stout. It's been wrapped in foam in a box at the back of a wardrobe for the last four years. It's incredible.

I'd been saving it for a special occasion. Sadly, we had my grandfather's funeral this weekend. This one's for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

brouwerij%20de%20molen%20vuur%20-%20vlam.png

De Molen Vuur & Vlam IPA

Another winner from De Molen. Juicy, hazy, full bodied, perfectly balanced IPA with a frothy head and some nice malty and herbal notes in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Just finished the end of the Belgian Box that was on special in Lidl last week. So a Gulden Druck and a Gulden Druk 9000.

Sitting wishing i had another box, or that i was back in Bruges!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭aristotle25

matrim wrote: »
    Thought the same myself. Nice beer but missing a bit of bitterness

Yeah, its nice but very neutral, just lacking in taste of anything really, too mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fionawong

I wish to go this week with Tsing Tao Beer, Asian one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Did i miss the 200 fathoms release this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

RasTa wrote: »
    Did i miss the 200 fathoms release this year?

Don't think it's out yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The release schedule has been changed to early winter instead of late winter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's not much finer of a Tuesday evening than drinking Kwak from the appropriate glass (and wooden stand). Lovely beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anywhere worth going in Cork for a good beer range, heading down at the weekend and haven't been for a few years, last time it was Bierhaus, Abbott's, Fran Well and Mutton Lane. Anything new since?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Anywhere worth going in Cork for a good beer range, heading down at the weekend and haven't been for a few years, last time it was Bierhaus, Abbott's, Fran Well and Mutton Lane. Anything new since?

Rising son and bierhaus are two of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

You could try Elbow Lane nice food and brew their own beers.

The Friary, It's down the road from the bierhaus.

The cotton ball brewpub

I'd probably just head to the bierhaus though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Abbott's new downstairs bar is worth a revisit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd add Fionn Barra to the list and, as mentioned, The Friary.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

+1 for Fionn Barra. Was in there recently. Good selection of beers, about 7/8 different craft beers on tap and a great beer garden. Pizza's from place next door were delish !
    but a pub crawl of FranWell, Bierhouse & Abbot would certainly make a great weekend as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

stoneRuination.jpgFew of theses chilling for the Russia-Saudi game, have to have something to make that game interesting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got a Yellowbelly Hopped In Space but there was a label stuck over the can printing, hmmm...

453460.jpg

5.9% printed on the can but the overlabel is 5.5%.

As for the beer itself, light reddish brown colour and quite cloudy with a foamy head. Nice hop aromas, but only average tasting, watery mouthfeel, slight grassy aftertaste. They're clearly aiming for a strong bitter hop flavour but it's not nearly hoppy enough. Doesn't do it for me and doesn't live up to its name at all, it's nothing like KPA Rocket Ship for instance (which is 4 for €10 in Dunnes at the moment)

It seems this brew didn't live up to the expected ABV and it didn't live up to my expectations in taste, either. It's not a bad beer but something went wrong. Maybe Paul wasn't the only one on holiday? ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hopfully Brewing Co Graciosa IPA

453462.jpg

Pours with a massive head. Amber in colour and medium cloudy. Very nice hop aromas. Good body and nice, sweet, but by no means sugary, and not at all overpowering, hop flavours. ABV 5.3% but should be quite sessionable. Thumbs up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The Friary has great conditioned beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cheers for that. Sitting in Fionn Barras the last hour or two, nice place, nice beers on tap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

100677.jpg

De Molen Rasputin Imperial Stout

My new favourite brewery, De Molen can do no wrong. Delicious rich, sweet caramel throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Lidl have Bush blonde this week as well as the Belgian selection box, a couple of Greek beers as well .
    I'm trying the Bush Blonde now. I'm a fan of this style of beer, both Leffe and the one that originally turned me on to it, the Affligem. This is not quite as good, with some slightly harsh overtones, but nice and fruity. Goes down well - perhaps too well for something this strong. (10.5% means one 330ml bottle has nearly as much alcohol as half a bottle of wine.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement