Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had an open gate pure brew non-alcoholic earlier. It tastes like they bottled the smell of malt around St James's gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Brewdog Punk IPA....4 for €8 in Tesco as I was picking some bits up...well worth it for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Anyone try Poachers Pale? Someone recommended it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Brewdogs Jet Black Heart is a great Nitro stout. Good value at 4 for a tenner. (in McHughs and Stephen St. News )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Impressed with Brewdog fanzine offering this week.

We go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    Impressed with Brewdog fanzine offering this week.

We go again.

Speaking of which, I received the first instalment last week. So the first two got through and they didn't cost me anything. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wife got me a bottle of McGargles big banging ale the other night. Taste has changed completely. Just tasted like a strong lager and not much else.
    Have they changed the recipe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Doubt it, but freshness makes a massive difference. It really loses its character if there's less than nine months to go on the best-before, and supermarkets rarely seem to store it chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

:o Strawbeeri Irish Craft Beer..... OMG!

1 euro in Dunnes today (80c if U have a voucher!). Made in Ireland (not brewed!) for Bartleys Beers Kinsale.

4.2%. Ingredients include strawberry juice and fructose......I should not buy things like this (and at 60+ should have sense).

My punishment was tasting it :mad: Gloopy synthetic stewed strawberry taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

sceach16 wrote: »
    :o Strawbeeri Irish Craft Beer..... OMG!
    1 euro in Dunnes today (80c if U have a voucher!). Made in Ireland (not brewed!) for Bartleys Beers Kinsale.
    4.2%. Ingredients include strawberry juice and fructose......I should not buy things like this (and at 60+ should have sense).My punishment was tasting it :mad: Gloopy synthetic stewed strawberry taste.

Made/brewed by Stationworks, I believe. I saw it on a shelf before and I agree with you, you should have sense. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I haven't had anything better than meh from Stationworks. Is there some standout I've missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Not cheap but Larkins 4.5% pale ale is the best session ale out there right now by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Trond wrote: »
    Not cheap but Larkins 4.5% pale ale is the best session ale out there right now by far.

I was just gonna post about it meself....

Stunning beer.

I also heard they were supposed to be bringing out a schwarzbier a while ago, any sign of that anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hope Session IPA 2018, lovely drop, fresh, bitterness, hops, fruity, quite light and eminently drinkable.

L1011 wrote: »
    I haven't had anything better than meh from Stationworks. Is there some standout I've missed?

They've improved massively recently. The American IPA and Irish Stout are as good as you'll get for the price range, imo. We get them 3 for £5.50 up here though, not sure what it's like down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which branding?

Foxes Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Had the pleasure of having a few Orval Trappist Ale’s during the week. Nice taste of orange from it which I like and a crisp, spicy aftertaste. Excellent stuff I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

L1011 wrote: »

The OH got their Foxes Rock gluten free lager the other week, which is only okay, but there's still not a lot of GF options out there.

As we needed two more bottles to make the 4 for €10 offer, I got a couple of their IPA, which was underwhelming, not bad but I wouldn't buy again.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Trond wrote: »
    I was just gonna post about it meself....

Stunning beer.

I also heard they were supposed to be bringing out a schwarzbier a while ago, any sign of that anywhere

Thanks for heads up on that, got a can each of the pale ale and IPA at the weekend, pale ale was fantastic! IPA was good but not as good for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Larkins have a decent baltic porter out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Having a Founders Breakfast Stout. Pleasantly surprised to see it in stock in O’Briens apparently founders are making it available year round. Bought 5 should have bought the other 3 I left on the shelf. One of my favorite beers

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brewdog Punk IPA....4 for €8 in Tesco as I was picking some bits up...well worth it for that price.

They still have that offer, as well as 4 Elvis Juice for €12.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Perfect timing for this weather.

Rust was only £2.49 Dg3BsaaXUAEBcT5.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

RasTa wrote: »
    Perfect timing for this weather.

Rust was only £2.49

Where did you order from? Would love some Pulp.

honest brew. intro for £10 off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

They still have that offer, as well as 4 Elvis Juice for €12.

Picked up 4 of the Indie Pale Ale to try the other day.. It's not bad and I won't complain at 4 cans for 8 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up 4 of the Indie Pale Ale to try the other day.. It's not bad and I won't complain at 4 cans for 8 euro

I thought the Indie was terriblely bland. Dunnes are doing Elvis Juice (bottles) 4 for €10 which is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Another nice delivery from O'Briens this morning. Having a sneaky Body Riddle by Whiplash while the rest settle in to their new cold home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Not strictly on topic, but hopefully someone here can help.

I remember specifically reading on this forum about the history of guinness, how it used to be mixed or prepped by each individual pub and migration to nitro etc. and im pretty sure it was by BeerNut or the beer revolu. Ive done a search but am on my phone and cant find the post, does anyone remember offhand where it was posted or if it was in one of their blogs?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement