Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rice bones = diarrhoea

• 23-07-2016 8:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

Our little staffie normally has a very clean diet, when we got him he was on RC and we are slowly changing over to a homemade diet. Up until yesterday, all poo was good and healthy.
    He had a rice bone on Thursday evening, and since then the diarrhoea has got worse but has started to solid up again. He is in good form.
    We are on the way to the vets this afternoon but was just wondering if anyone had experienced this from rice bones before.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm sorry, what is a rice bone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

muddypaws wrote: »
    I'm sorry, what is a rice bone?
    A treat as far as I saw; 50% rice; rest potato starch and a few other ingredients. At least that is what I found on google :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Ours eat plenty of treats like that - did find softer stools when they ate chicken and rice balls, but more because they ate loads of them.

Changed to chicken calcium bones (good boy €10 for large 360g pack in tesco) and no issues.

Previously had issues if cheese was in their food - now mix 50% kibble and 50% cooked chicken or ham (sometimes rib eye steak though :) )

My guess is that its just the change in diet causing a temporary issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Rice bones are a bit crappy tbh so I wouldn't be surprised if the had that affect on the dog! I'd rank them the same as pedigree, bakers etc etc... BTW stay away from Good Boy treats because they're made in china(!)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We got him down to the vets which worked out great cause it got him to interact with other dogs, he can let out a bit of a growl at dogs that come near the house.

Vet wasn't concerned, he's off food for the rest of the day and see how he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

tk123 wrote: »
    Rice bones are a bit crappy tbh so I wouldn't be surprised if the had that affect on the dog! I'd rank them the same as pedigree, bakers etc etc... BTW stay away from Good Boy treats because they're made in china(!)..

Not everything made in china is bad.

You need to use judgement.

Most quality treats such as good boy are developed in UK and other European countries (trixie = Germany) and then made to that formula in China.

What you would be advised to avoid is the own brand / cheap unbranded treats that are simply made in china to whatever formula the factory decides.

Remember, the iPhone is made in china.

VincePP wrote: »

That's a great point when we're talking about dog treats. I'll stick to my homemade jerky thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

VincePP wrote: »
    Not everything made in china is bad.

You need to use judgement.

Most quality treats such as good boy are developed in UK and other European countries (trixie = Germany) and then made to that formula in China.

What you would be advised to avoid is the own brand / cheap unbranded treats that are simply made in china to whatever formula the factory decides.

I'd rather my dogs didn't eat an iphone either ;)

Its not about the formula so much as the raw materials that are used, there have been recalls on dog treats made in China, the source for rawhide for example can be questionable.

I don't even eat the stuff people in work bring back for treats for everyone in the office if they're from China lol! :o

Advertisement