Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Inflation: Triathlon = 4 KM RUN What is going on with our sport and hobby?

• 23-07-2016 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Bad enough with a 10km jog for the Sunday Independent set sponsored by a margarine manufacturer and then a healthcare provider being passed passed off as a "mini-marathon", we now have this:

A Lust for Life triathlon that features a 4KM run. 4 KM?

http://www.alustforlife.com/events/ironmind-triathlon-2016#!

And this is endorsed by official bodies?

FFS

Enough of this tiresome passing off of events as something they are not. There are plenty of women out there who train for real marathons (42,195 m) and people who train for real triathlons (70.3 or otherwise), let's not insult them and the intelligence of everyone else. Come up with some other names for these events...

Complete celebrity bolloxology. Bring on the Kathryn Thomas Ultra Marathon on Croagh Patrick next year (500 metre trot around the base in Hunters Wellies and Crocs, televised live).

That's it... I'm taking up a real Olympic tradition of importance:

Golf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Aren't you the person who likes to go disco dancing in tunnels when out for a jog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

OP is a fan of the Hashing aswell I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

uvox wrote: »
    Bad enough with a 10km jog for the Sunday Independent set sponsored by a margarine manufacturer and then a healthcare provider being passed passed off as a "mini-marathon", we now have this:

A Lust for Life triathlon that features a 4KM run. 4 KM?

http://www.alustforlife.com/events/ironmind-triathlon-2016#!

And this is endorsed by official bodies?

FFS

Enough of this tiresome passing off of events as something they are not. There are plenty of women out there who train for real marathons (42,195 m) and people who train for real triathlons (70.3 or otherwise), let's not insult them and the intelligence of everyone else. Come up with some other names for these events...

Complete celebrity bolloxology. Bring on the Kathryn Thomas Ultra Marathon on Croagh Patrick next year (500 metre trot around the base in Hunters Wellies and Crocs, televised live).

That's it... I'm taking up a real Olympic tradition of importance:

Golf

Its a beginner triathlon plain and simple, giving people an intro into Trianthlon. They're all over the place. I did see this one advertised and it does seem to be extra hyped and inflated but they're not claiming to be Ironman. They say in the tiitle that its a beginners event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Triathlon means go for a splash , jump on an overpriced bike, and finish with a jog. No particular distance is implied, any more than 'cross country ' means at least 8k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Just done a triathlon today. Cycled to the park run, went for paddle in a river afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    Triathlon means go for a splash , jump on an overpriced bike, and finish with a jog. No particular distance is implied, any more than 'cross country ' means at least 8k

You forgot the over price running gear that most runners where.

In fairness to the people doing the beginners sprint, if you never swam in open water as a child then its a real feat to do this as an adult especially in the sea if its not calm. With the stress of that alone a 20km cylce and a 4km run would be enough to be getting on with after that ordeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Always makes me laugh that people give a toss about this. Just do whatever events you deem worthy of your presence and forget about the rest. Theyre not thinking about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Always makes me laugh that people give a toss about this. Just do whatever events you deem worthy of your presence and forget about the rest. Theyre not thinking about you.

Yes, it's ridiculous but it's driven by things called ego and pride, and they make people get excited by ridiculous things e.g. the Donald

"You didn't do a real triathlon, you only did a Sprint triathlon with a shortened run, I do real triathlons cos I am just great...... Let all ye minions hail me the great one....yada, yada, yada" Get over yourself dude.

daithi7 wrote: »
    Yes, it's ridiculous but it's driven by things called ego and pride, and they make people get excited by ridiculous things e.g. the Donald

"You didn't do a real triathlon, you only did a Sprint triathlon with a shortened run, I do real triathlons cos I am just great...... Let all ye minions hail me the great one....yada, yada, yada" Get over yourself dude.

Give us a break!!!

Ha...what about the ones killing themselves doing the Ultras just so they can stand out some how and get that extra bit of attention. Poleeeeeeze!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

joesoap5 wrote: »
    Give us a break!!!

Ha...what about the ones killing themselves doing the Ultras just so they can stand out some how and get that extra bit of attention. Poleeeeeeze!!!

That's why I done ultra races anyway, all the aclaim publicity and adulation I get makes it so worthwhile.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    That's why I done ultra races anyway, all the aclaim publicity and adulation I get makes it so worthwhile.

Now Percy don't be dramatic

Advertisement