Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad sleeper

• 23-07-2016 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Im an average male n my 30ties, good job etc, single and loooking.

anyway Im a bad sleeper. During the week I go to bed at 12 every night and am up again at 7, I fall asleep v quickly but wake at least 3-4times during the night for 10-15mins. Im also not a solid sleeper, I don't sleep solid, I would be dozing and in and out of consiousness during the night. I don't have weird dreams or anything.

Im v busy at work and when I come home in the evenng after a 12hr day used to have a siesta to recover, Ive cut that out as much as I can, I don't eat after 9 at night, other than cups of tea maybe.

I have struggle enough to get out of bed at 7 next morning as believe it or not I seem to do my best sleeping in the morning.

At the weekend things I go back to sleep when I wake at 7 or 8 and sleep for a few more hours until 11-12, I mean I sleep really well for those few hours.

Is there anything I can do, a doctor I should go see, or a sleep expert or something. I don't like this struggling to get out of bed and this oversleeping at the weekend as its a bit of a waste, however I am knackered tired otherwise. everyone else the world over seems to be able to manage to get ot of bed at respactable hours, without constant dozing at get up time.

I was always v good at getting up when I was younger used to be at work for 6 o clock when I was 18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Try going to bed at 11, waking up at night to spend a quiet, low-light hour doing some undemanding activity (but not the computer or TV since they are high-light, high-stimulating activities), and going back to bed for the remaining three or four hours. This is the most "natural" sleep pattern for humans throughout history until surprisingly recently. The sheer effort of trying to keep yourself in bed all night in one go may just be causing you stress.

Medically, reasons for frequent waking could be the temperature of the room and bed not suiting you, caffeine intake (even tea), sleep apnoea, hypoglycemia (the body generates cortisol to kick off the blood sugar cycle when blood sugar is too low, but cortisol is the biochemical that wakes you up), stress, depression/anxiety, and sleep disorders of various kinds. If self-help remedies such as relaxing/meditating, changing your sleep schedule, taking naps during the day, and paying attention to what you eat in the evening don't help, see your GP. In the end it's really just getting enough and deep enough sleep for you, not necessarily getting it all in one go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I exercise daily. Hot tubs. If I wake up. I don't fight it. Read novel. Eyes heavy. Soon drift off.

Advertisement