Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic Mania

Options
  • 23-07-2016 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭

I havent enjoyed a Sonic game since Sonic 3 but this one actually looks genuinely promising. From the trailer it looks like it captures a lot of what was great about the classic Sonic games. I really hope this one turns out to be as good as it looks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Like that, I stopped after Sonic & Knuckles, I could never take to any of the 3D sonic games, so going back to grass roots has definitely piqued my interest and am looking forward to see what comes of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Christian Whiteheads involvement has sparked my interest. He is the one responsible for the ios/android ports of Sonic 1 and 2 as well as the recent port of Sonic CD. He created his own engine for porting them which has absolutely nailed the physics and those ports are some of the best retro releases outside the stuff M2 does.

Dare I say this... it might even be great. Wasn't all that gone on Sonic Generations. It was an ok game but not the amazing Mario beater some sonic fans would have you believe. Sign posting the unsign-posted pitfalls with actual signposts was a laughably half arsed way of dealing with poor design that shouldn't have been present in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Christian Whiteheads involvement has sparked my interest.

This! This is exactly what I thought when I saw the trailer. You can be sure the physics will be true to the original games, and the dodgy physics ruined a lot of the later games too. They just didn't feel right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dare I say this... it might even be great. Wasn't all that gone on Sonic Generations. It was an ok game but not the amazing Mario beater some sonic fans would have you believe. Sign posting the unsign-posted pitfalls with actual signposts was a laughably half arsed way of dealing with poor design that shouldn't have been present in the first place.

Didnt like Generations much either. The 2d "classic" levels were great but I hated the modern Sonic levels. Between the fiddly controls and constantly changing camera perspective those levels were infuriating for me. Though I've found that to be the case with any 3D Sonic games I've played. It just doesnt translate well to 3D at all and Sega have never managed to get it right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If they never release another Sonic game with that gods awful jump-target mechanic, just awful, and in place since Sonic Adventure on the DC.
    I know Sonic Generations 2 was also announced, I can only hope that sales of Sonic Mania will so eclipse it's release that they'll just draw a line under 3D Sonic games and just give us what we want instead.

Or ask Nintendo to make their Sonic games on the quiet instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just hope they realise that everyone has widescreen displays now, and use that to make going FAST fun (i.e. allow you to see ahead to make it possible to easily speed through levels).

And that it works with my USB Saturn pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

What was so wrong with Sonic 4 episodes 1&2 dare I ask?

Cormac... wrote: »
    What was so wrong with Sonic 4 episodes 1&2 dare I ask?

From TV Tropes:
    The game featured almost no momentum thanks to the physics being copied and pasted from Sonic Rush. The developers even admitted to doing so intentionally to place more emphasis on using the Homing Attack.

What's weird is, I used to speedrun Sonic Rush and I don't remember the physics being that bad. But it turns out they were terrible even back then.

I actually have Ep 1 and 2 on PS3 and was totally underwhelmed by them
    That being said I am not a huge Sonic fan (never had a Sega console in my own home growing up) so I just assumed there was something lost on me.
    I guess if your whole thing is "Going Fast" and the dev don't let you go Fast, it's not going to wow anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cormac... wrote: »
    I actually have Ep 1 and 2 on PS3 and was totally underwhelmed by them
    That being said I am not a huge Sonic fan (never had a Sega console in my own home growing up) so I just assumed there was something lost on me.
    I guess if your whole thing is "Going Fast" and the dev don't let you go Fast, it's not going to wow anyone.

Sonic was never about going fast though, it's just something people got into their heads from the marketing. Sonic is about momentum, the more momentum you have the easier sonic controls, whereas from a dead stop Sonic is hard to control. Unfortunately the devs have decided going fast was what the old games were about as well and just make them unplayable. The guys in charge of this new game going by the levels they have designed themselves seem to get what old sonic was about.

As for not getting Sonic, I'd only judge Sonic on the megadrive and early master system games. Modern Sonic sucks (yeah Sonic Adventure was terrible. Generations and Colours are decent though).

Gameplay (Polygon)

Another video on Sonic history relating to Sonic Mania (Eurogamer)

Meanwhile, Telltale is making... this... abomination

(watches the 8 minute video) oh god I will be in heaven if they've genuinely taken the level design from sonic 3 (2 acts per zone, boss at the end of each a genuine sense of progression between the acts)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Telltale is making... this... abomination

travellers tales actually

and its not the first time they've made a bad sonic game.

they also did Sonic 3D

and sonic R

forgot that

mandatory torture

... I like Sonic R

Even if it's mostly for the soundtrack.

... I like Sonic R

Even if it's mostly for the soundtrack.

when I only had a saturn I played it to death (got all secret character setc)

but when I played it again on the sonic gems collection (irony) they either completely banjaxed the controls or I must have somehow in my childhood managed to contort my fingers in such a way to keep control of the characters.

Though I was much more fond of the Nights soundtrack (even if it has a ridiculously over the top ending song)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    when I only had a saturn I played it to death (got all secret character setc)

Though I was much more fond of the Nights soundtrack (even if it has a ridiculously over the top ending song)
    I played mine to death too, gotta love Tails doll :pac:
    NitD ost was fantastic, I like Mystic Forest (was that the name?) best. Being ott was better than the Boyz 2 Men accapella on Christmas Nights though.

another hands on here but I want to just jump to this bit: https://youtu.be/nX4dwHSTRG4?t=8m12s

Confirmed that the special zones will be using the same system as Sonic 3, just doesnt look like its implemented yet (unless they added an extra requirement like a key or 50 rings) as the zones themselves nothing has been seen yet from what I've found.

Which I'm fine with. Encourages exploring and doesnt feel cheap like getting smacked by a random shot just right before the end of the level.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    another hands on here but I want to just jump to this bit: https://youtu.be/nX4dwHSTRG4?t=8m12s

Confirmed that the special zones will be using the same system as Sonic 3, just doesnt look like its implemented yet (unless they added an extra requirement like a key or 50 rings) as the zones themselves nothing has been seen yet from what I've found.

Which I'm fine with. Encourages exploring and doesnt feel cheap like getting smacked by a random shot just right before the end of the level.
    I'd prefer the 50 rings idea myself, loved those special stages, especially doing a square and getting rings, feels good man
    giphy.gif

I recommend watching this one instead

I normally not the sort to gripe about the quality of the player in a video. But whoever is playing for polygon must have a button stuck or something the way they keep randomly jumping.

The above isnt amazing, but at least they show off the new move and how it can be used and make use of some of the maps features.

Also does anyone else think the boss music reminds them of the Looney tunes Powerhouse theme:

Anyone else see this or read more details? It looks so cool!
    http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/sonic_mania/news/sonic_manias_collectors_edition_could_be_the_best_collectors_edition_ive_ever_seen.html
    Further details on the Collector's Edition - along with the original link to Amazon - have been posted on PlayWebGamez, revealing a $69.99 (£52) price. The Amazon page no longer exists, however.
    sonic_mania_ce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The Amazon US links are back up now and available to order. Went with the Xbox version as the download keys are global, costs $110 inc shipping and VAT. Its also eligible for the 20% prime preorder discount.

The Amazon US links are back up now and available to order. Went with the Xbox version as the download keys are global, costs $110 inc shipping and VAT. Its also eligible for the 20% prime preorder discount.
    Thanks for that sniper, a few articles showing up around Facebook now.
    "The collector's edition for Sonic Mania has been announced; to confirm this edition is only available in North America. There is no information regarding a pre-order incentive for Europe at this time."
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-13-segas-brilliant-sonic-mania-collectors-edition-isnt-coming-to-europe
    Ouch Sega <\3

costs $110 inc shipping and VAT. Its also eligible for the 20% prime preorder discount.
    Was that 110 with the 20% off? Would you get import on top if that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Was that 110 with the 20% off? Would you get import on top if that?

No, that was full price including shipping VAT and import fees. Amazon US take the VAT up front and then refund you if it wasn't caught.

• Advertisement

The guy who proposes in the ad is the genius behind the sonic twitter account etc.

(http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/9/13/12888124/sonic-the-hedgehog-twitter-memes-aaron-webber)

Advertisement