Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic Mania

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    The guy who proposes in the ad is the genius behind the sonic twitter account etc.

(http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/9/13/12888124/sonic-the-hedgehog-twitter-memes-aaron-webber)

And he presented the wonderfully cringey... abomination at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Tried sonic mania at egx today. Felt great and level design was solid enough. It had very clear areas that I came to recognise for specific challenges or gimmicks and had a nice mix of speed and platforming.

One issue though is there were no instructions on how to do the drop dash and try as I could I couldn't get it to work. Did get to confirm all the sonic 3 shields + classic sonic shield and the overall silky smooth animation and frame rate. Even when players lost over 150 rings.

Tried sonic mania at egx today. Felt great and level design was solid enough. It had very clear areas that I came to recognise for specific challenges or gimmicks and had a nice mix of speed and platforming.

One issue though is there were no instructions on how to do the drop dash and try as I could I couldn't get it to work. Did get to confirm all the sonic 3 shields + classic sonic shield and the overall silky smooth animation and frame rate. Even when players lost over 150 rings.

Did you take a copy of the demo for the rest of us to play? :P

MrVestek wrote: »
    Did you take a copy of the demo for the rest of us to play? :P

wasnt even allowed to take pictures or record...unless it was off the giant plastic sonic statue.

wasnt even allowed to take pictures or record...unless it was off the giant plastic sonic statue.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Advertisement

on a side note. All versions were running on PC with xbox 360 controllers and there seemed to be a sound issue where the sound would go between plays sometimes so a staff would have to restart the program through steam.

Though not as bad as microsoft who did all their gears of war 4 single player demos through windows 10 and it wasnt an official copy of windows 10 so it had a big warning label in the lower right corner all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The collectors edition is now available for preorder on Amazon UK for £80. Works out a little cheaper than the US, unless your US order gets past customs without getting charged for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

The collectors edition is now available for preorder on Amazon UK for £80. Works out a little cheaper than the US, unless your US order gets past customs without getting charged for VAT.
    I'm hoping to get it and have it shipped on from Canada if all goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is this thing ever coming out lads? :D

Knuckles as a playable character and special stages over the checkpoints are apparently the highlights of this 1 minute teaser, judging by the comments :)

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Is this thing ever coming out lads? :D

Knuckles as a playable character and special stages over the checkpoints are apparently the highlights of this 1 minute teaser, judging by the comments :)
    I'll have to give it a watch later.
    I think it's delayed til Autumn now is it? I'd prefer if it took longer and find right.

I'll have to give it a watch later.
    I think it's delayed til Autumn now is it? I'd prefer if it took longer and find right.

Later in the year, I think is all we have to go by at this moment in time :)

Later in the year, I think is all we have to go by at this moment in time :)
    Hooing and haaing on the pre order. Will there be enough copies by the time it's actually released. I think I'm just stung by my Persona 5 episode lol it was really tough to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Seems like forever ago since this was launched.

Is there going to be new levels, are are they all remixed versions of old levels?

Delighted Knuckles is in. I hope it's just the 3 of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, I've no interest in any of the other characters!

Hooing and haaing on the pre order. Will there be enough copies by the time it's actually released. I think I'm just stung by my Persona 5 episode lol it was really tough to find it.

Its digital only, except for the already nigh on sold out(still some Xbox One copies) Collector's Edition(which still has a download code and not a disc/Switch cart).

Gonig to get it digitally for the Switch, so there should be enough of them around :pac:
    gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Seems like forever ago since this was launched.

Is there going to be new levels, are are they all remixed versions of old levels?

Delighted Knuckles is in. I hope it's just the 3 of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, I've no interest in any of the other characters!

I think they are all remixed or old levels. It looks to be just the trio of characters in the game anyway :)

As an aside, I was playing that new fan game Sonic Time Twisted a couple of weeks back on the laptop. I was playing it with the keyboard, but need to plug in a controller and go back to it. It's pretty good for a free passion project thingy.

If you are waiting for Mania and want to play this on a PC (I think they have an experimental Mac version too), try the link below :D
    https://overboundstudio.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Gonig to get it digitally for the Switch, so there should be enough of them around :pac:

I think they are all remixed or old levels. It looks to be just the trio of characters in the game anyway :)

As an aside, I was playing that new fan game Sonic Time Twisted a couple of weeks back on the laptop. I was playing it with the keyboard, but need to plug in a controller and go back to it. It's pretty good for a free passion project thingy.

If you are waiting for Mania and want to play this on a PC (I think they have an experimental Mac version too), try the link below :D
    https://overboundstudio.com

That looks great - thanks for the heads up!

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    That looks great - thanks for the heads up!

No worries :)
    I spotted it on twitter and gave it a d/l and it's pretty solid.

Let me know what you think!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm pretty sure this game is all new stages, though there will be a certain familiarity in the real estate given that most 2D Sonic titles are built around the same themed levels, so there'll be an Emerald/Green Zone, Ruins Zone, a pinball level based around a carnival and, ultimately, a mechanical themed final level on Robotnik/Eggman's ship.
    Still can't wait to play it though.

Less than 4 weeks to go for this!
    15th of August is launch day :D

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887369350004461568

• Advertisement

Anyone waiting on this for Switch, it's appeared in the coming soon section of the eShop. €19.99
    Can't pre-order it, but you can add it to your watch-list!

It's also on xbox.com and playstation.com for pre-order at €19.99
    The cheapest of the lot is steam, selling for €17.99, but that's the pre-order price, will rise to €19.99 after release.

Looks to be a digital only release for the moment, as not even Amazon have a listing for a physical copy.

Anyone waiting on this for Switch, it's appeared in the coming soon section of the eShop. €19.99

The cheapest of the lot is steam, selling for €17.99, but that's the pre-order price, will rise to €19.99 after release.

Looks to be a digital only release for the moment, as not even Amazon have a listing for a physical copy.

It is digital only, even the collectors edition comes with a download code.

Btw Amazon Spain have stock of the PS4 CE available and both Amazon UK and Spain still have stock of the Xbox One CE if anyone is looking for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

am pumped for it, roll on the 15th :)

Any collectors editions left for PS4/ PC? Just wondering prices. I didn't know what system to get it for and forgot to order anything.
    Still have the Data Disc pre order though

Any collectors editions left for PS4/ PC? Just wondering prices. I didn't know what system to get it for and forgot to order anything.
    Still have the Data Disc pre order though

https://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B01M4IZFYQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1501721962&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sonic%2Bmania&dpPl=1&dpID=61huly2CJCL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

PS4, ends up just under €100 including shipping.

£80 for the Xbox One version on Amazon UK which is a little cheaper if you have one.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B01M4IZFYQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1501721962&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sonic%2Bmania&dpPl=1&dpID=61huly2CJCL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

PS4, ends up just under €100 including shipping.

£80 for the Xbox One version on Amazon UK which is a little cheaper if you have one.
    Thanks, I haven't any of the consoles it's on really but PS4 / PC set up are more likely. Switch is too new yet and definitely wouldn't be getting an Xbox One anytime soon.

There's still some on VG Plus, it was showing up as about €82.37 shipped, went with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I was expecting it to cost more than 20 quid!

BDJW wrote: »
    I was expecting it to cost more than 20 quid!

Yeah, it's a good price point!
    I think it hits with anyone that has any interest would probably pick it up, as it's fairly cheap :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yeah, it's a good price point!
    I think it hits with anyone that has any interest would probably pick it up, as it's fairly cheap :)

I was planning on buying it regardless, but the price was a nice little surprise. I had thought it was out closer to Christmas for some reason though!

Advertisement