Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic Mania

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still not as good as Mario :P

Can't wait to give this a go, been too long since there was a really good 2D sonic game. Generations and Colours I feel only got praised for not being decent in a sea of terrible sonic games and the Advance games are not good, not sure why they are so well liked.

Yeah the Advance games have serious problems with leaps of faith, especially in 2 and 3 where they brought in that double jump system using l and r.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Any news on the Switch version? I don't want to buy that version and have it run badly. Probably being overly cautious, as it shouldn't be to taxing. If the switch version is no good, will grab the PS4 version.

wes wrote: »
    Any news on the Switch version? I don't want to buy that version and have it run badly. Probably being overly cautious, as it shouldn't be to taxing. If the switch version is no good, will grab the PS4 version.

Switch should be fine, tbh the 3DS and Vita should be able to handle this at the full 60fps. Wonder if there will be handheld ports down the line.

Switch should be fine, tbh the 3DS and Vita should be able to handle this at the full 60fps. Wonder if there will be handheld ports down the line.

Your probably right. The game is perfect for the Switch, the sort of game that you can dip in and out on the go pretty easily.

Also, as a Nintendo kid, its always pretty fun to play Sonic on a Nintendo console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's an amazing piece of work.
    Just stunning.
    Just spent the last 90 mins with it, loved every second.
    Have it on the Switch and played using both the Switch controller and a Pokken controller, on the latter it is raised to sublime.
    I'd buy it again too if it came out on a Switch cart.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just stunning.
    Have it on the Switch and played using both the Switch controller and a Pokken controller, on the latter it is raised to sublime.
    I'd buy it again too if it came out on a Switch cart.

Playing it on the Switch too, not the best control wise on the J-cons due to the choice of analog or split d-pad buttons. Still a cracking game, absolutely nailed it.

Using the Pro-controller on the switch and it plays great. Some great old school fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Just stunning.

It'll be about 9 o'clock tonight before I get to play it, but looking forward to it even more now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Got it last night on the switch too, played for about 40mins but needed to sleep. Love it!!!! Can't wait to go back to it tonight.

I wonder if there will be any DLC in the future for it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's tons of lovely touches that make it seem like a natural progression from Sonic 3/& Knuckles.
    For example, if you've a ton of rings and wallop into an enemy character, the rings go everywhere, including out of the screen, with a nice bit of scaling.
    The screen wipes into the level name announcement page and back to the game are lovely too, so many great touches that elevate it.
    Sonic 4 just looks even more misguided by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hearing it's a bit buggy. Switch versions seems to have a few issues with the switch OS and flat out crashes to home screen.

There's tons of lovely touches that make it seem like a natural progression from Sonic 3/& Knuckles.
    For example, if you've a ton of rings and wallop into an enemy character, the rings go everywhere, including out of the screen, with a nice bit of scaling.
    The screen wipes into the level name announcement page and back to the game are lovely too, so many great touches that elevate it.
    Sonic 4 just looks even more misguided by comparison.

Also like the giant rings that give you +50 rings when you get hit with a large amount.

Hearing it's a bit buggy. Switch versions seems to have a few issues with the switch OS and flat out crashes to home screen.

I haven't seen it myself, and I got about 90 mins of play in last night.

I had a glitch last night on the stage 2 boss fight. After beating him, sonic dies and you have to restart from the last checkpoint. That was on ps4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Tiny issue of home screen and capture screen bug on switch, but there working out bugs for all platforms

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/08/sonic_mania_runs_brilliantly_on_switch_with_one_tiny_drawback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Been playing it for the last hour and a bit. Absolutely loving it so far. The levels are huge. Bosses seem harder than original MegaDrive games, and it also isn't as obvious on how to beat them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I never thought I'd be thinking of buying a sonic game in 2017!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

So definitely getting this tomorrow. For a score why wouldn't you? Can live my early teens again :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I cant play it for another 2 weeks (working abroad and dont have anything with me) so I'm gutted :(

But I did watch a few videos and Jim Sterling spoiled one of the better easter egg for big sonic fans by accident (dont think he realised it himself)
    Later in the game:
    the 2nd boss fight in mirage saloon is a love letter reference to the just recently cancelled sonic archie comic series as those 3 characters were put together in the comic series as a team (team Hooligan) and got very popular because of it. The characters have all showed up in games before (Nack in triple trouble, drift and fighters. Bean and Bark in fighters and fighters megamix) but this is the first time all 3 have been outright referenced as a team outside of the comics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually kinda wish the game wasn't so beholden to the earlier games. The new levels and remixes are so imaginative and enjoyable, I find it can be a bit of a chore to push through the vintage stuff when you know there's some pleasant surprises an act away (or even at the end of the level - the bosses are pretty neat!). I can see the argument that the game benefits from the build up from old to new, but at the same time I reckon the new team are clearly talented enough that they don't need to so directly ape the past for such long stretches.

Also, the rotating blocks in Chemical Plant zone still belong in one of the circles of hell :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Playing this makes me so wish that the Sonic Mega Collection got a PS4 port or at least 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I know it's probably obvious to everyone, but I wanted to type it out for anyone that missed.

If you watched the in game video that appears after Sonic, without pressing a button, the animation shows Sonic, Tails and Knuckles exiting a lift. The lift shows the available floors as 1,2,3,K and M. The guys get off at floor M. This stands for Sonic 1 to 3, Sonic & Knuckle and Sonic Mania.

The devs are basically claiming that this is the successor to Sonic & Knuckles and not Sonic 4.

I thought it was a cool touch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Actually kinda wish the game wasn't so beholden to the earlier games. The new levels and remixes are so imaginative and enjoyable, I find it can be a bit of a chore to push through the vintage stuff when you know there's some pleasant surprises an act away (or even at the end of the level - the bosses are pretty neat!). I can see the argument that the game benefits from the build up from old to new, but at the same time I reckon the new team are clearly talented enough that they don't need to so directly ape the past for such long stretches.

Also, the rotating blocks in Chemical Plant zone still belong in one of the circles of hell :)

Ya I'd agree with a lot of this. I understand why they perhaps thought they needed to ease into it by having the older levels but some of the vintage levels, level design wise, are rough to play through before you get to the new ones.

Corholio wrote: »
    Ya I'd agree with a lot of this. I understand why they perhaps thought they needed to ease into it by having the older levels but some of the vintage levels, level design wise, are rough to play through before you get to the new ones.

Christian Whitehead apparently wanted a completely new game, Sega mandated the inclusion of the classic zones.

I think you'd have as many people taking issue with the exclusion of classic zones as not, the classic areas are expanded in all sorts of ways.
    Hopefully updates, DLC or a proper sequel will develop all new Sonic environments, though there'll always be a mix of Green/Emerald, Classical Ruins, Pinball/Carnival and Industrial/Robot zones, it's as much a part of a classic 2D Sonic game as the loop de loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

wheres ghe cheapest place to pick this up for PS4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

s8n wrote: »
    wheres ghe cheapest place to pick this up for PS4 ?

The collectors edition is 90 from amazon,mine came Thursday. There is one for 150 on adverts. If you want the game its 20 on the playstation store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

Is the collector's edition worth the money? I'm curious as sometimes these things look great in the advertising photo but then they just look like cheap plastic in reality, hence why I usually try to avoid collector's editions that have figurines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

MissMayo wrote: »
    Is the collector's edition worth the money? I'm curious as sometimes these things look great in the advertising photo but then they just look like cheap plastic in reality, hence why I usually try to avoid collector's editions that have figurines.
    I got the CE but it's not here yet, getting it forwarded on from a friend.
    You could try watching this? I haven't yet but I know it makes the Sega fanfare but I want to wait and see it up close first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭Inviere

MissMayo wrote: »

I've been about to pull the trigger on it about three times, & talked myself out of it. If it came with a physical copy of the came I'd be more inclined to buy it, but as it stands, it's just a download code with a few bits thrown in. Think I'll pass & buy it digitally instead

Advertisement