Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic Mania

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Anyone know if the old cheat works from the mega drive days? I can't remember it or get it to work anyway.

down up left left right a + start?

It was up down left right a + start.

...and no it doesn't work with mania. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

MrVestek wrote: »
    It was up down left right a + start.

...and no it doesn't work with mania. :)

First thing I tried when the game booted for the first time.

Didn't realise I was doing it either! That's muscle memory for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

did anyone try the codes from sonic 2 or sonic 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Completed game this morning. Was really cool. Sonic forces is the next, I hope its more of the same albeit with new zones.

Although just after I typed above I Googled and saw some gameplay and it looks Crap. 3D is back. Probably won't buy if that's the case. Boo urns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

Completed game this morning. Was really cool. Sonic forces is the next, I hope its more of the same albeit with new zones.

Although just after I typed above I Googled and saw some gameplay and it looks Crap. 3D is back. Probably won't buy if that's the case. Boo urns.

forces is similar to Generations with 3D stages and 2D stages

• Advertisement

jos22 wrote: »

forces is similar to Generations with 3D stages and 2D stages
    I also have a funny feeling that the story ties into Sonic Mania somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Sonic in 3d is just awful in my opinion. Hopefully Mania will spark a new wave of 2d side scrolling platformers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Nintendo have already sparked a new wave of 2D platformers. They've made some spectacularly good games in the genre in the last few years. Better stuff than sonic mania Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think Nintendo have already sparked a new wave of 2D platformers. They've made some spectacularly good games in the genre in the last few years. Better stuff than sonic mania Imo.

I wouldn't give them all the credit has been plenty platformers made outside Nintendo with Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, Braid & Rayman Origins/Legends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    I wouldn't give them all the credit has been plenty platformers made outside Nintendo with Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, Braid & Rayman Origins/Legends.

I'd put Braid and Super Meat Boy in totally different genres. The others mentioned predate when Nintendo began the platformer resurgence and I'd only really rank Shovel Knight up to Nintendo quality, Rayman is very good but not up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I'd put Braid and Super Meat Boy in totally different genres. The others mentioned predate when Nintendo began the platformer resurgence and I'd only really rank Shovel Knight up to Nintendo quality, Rayman is very good but not up there.

Could you give some examples because I can't think of any

The two Donkey Kong Country Returns games, Kirby Epic Yarn and roboplanet, Yoshi''s Wooly World.

They've others as well but they would be as good or worse than rayman.

The big one though was NSMB on the Wii which sold an insane amount. We all laughed when Reggie said it wold outsell MW2 but in the end it did. While I'm not the biggest fan of the DS games the Wii and wiiU games are two of the be.st platformers you can get.

The two Donkey Kong Country Returns games.

New versions of these for Switch would be amazing.

That level with the burning oil that blocks out your vision is testing my patience :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

New versions of these for Switch would be amazing.

I dunnno. Portable, throwable console and those games might be a recipe for disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

That level with the burning oil that blocks out your vision is testing my patience :pac:

That was the first part where I got a game over. :D
    Keep at it!

PS: The end of act 2 boss got me at least 5 game overs! I just couldn't figure out the pattern :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Finished it the other night, great craic but I was kind of disappointed with the last boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ori and the Blind Forest? It's shockingly reminiscent of the SNES version of Super Metroid for me, and an absolute delight to play. Limbo/Inside/Little Nightmares (which I'm eager to get on to) as well, though they would be more on the forward progression side-scrolling platformer end of things than say Ori/Metroid which are a bit more open world.

Also, unless I have missed it how has there been next to no mention on this forum of the new Metroid game!? It's getting excellent reviews, is a return to the pre-Prime style (though I loved those two games also) and is also somewhat quietly one of the very best Nintendo franchises of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ori and the Blind Forest? It's shockingly reminiscent of the SNES version of Super Metroid for me, and an absolute delight to play. Limbo/Inside/Little Nightmares (which I'm eager to get on to) as well, though they would be more on the forward progression side-scrolling platformer end of things than say Ori/Metroid which are a bit more open world.

Also, unless I have missed it how has there been next to no mention on this forum of the new Metroid game!? It's getting excellent reviews, is a return to the pre-Prime style (though I loved those two games also) and is also somewhat quietly one of the very best Nintendo franchises of all time.

Ori is fantastic and perhaps my favourite modern platformer. It's much better than anything nintendo put out lately. Limbo/Inside are not like traditional platformers, they are simple plaforming/puzzle games that rely more on atmosphere and environmental story telling than timing and jumping puzzles.

I might play Sonic Mania when it comes down in price. Was never a massive fan of the series.

Sorry to bump an old thread but just wondering if anybody has checked out Sonic Mania Plus yet?

If so what do you think?

Downloaded Encore mode to my Switch the other day and slowly playing through it on my way home from work the past few days.

What do you guys think of the new characters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

MrVestek wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread but just wondering if anybody has checked out Sonic Mania Plus yet?

If so what do you think?

Downloaded Encore mode to my Switch the other day and slowly playing through it on my way home from work the past few days.

What do you guys think of the new characters?

Is it a sequel or just an add-on to Mania?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Add-on to Mania - costs a fiver as far as I know. 2 new characters, 4 player support and a new Encore mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

Mr E wrote: »
    Add-on to Mania - costs a fiver as far as I know. 2 new characters, 4 player support and a new Encore mode.

When you downloaded the Dlc, did it reset the the original game, basically what I'm asking, is do you have to 're collect all those b@#+@/d chaos emeralds again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

GOTY for me last year, any Fan of the mega drive game should be getting this as a priority!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    GOTY for me last year, any Fan of the mega drive game should be getting this as a priority!

I also loved that it was bastard hard in some places.

Advertisement