Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mileage discrepancy at NCT

• 23-07-2016 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

the nct reading of my odometer at the NCT says 180k but my car has 106k on the odometer. does the NCT read the CPU or is there a typo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

typo. contact them immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jim79 wrote: »
    the nct reading of my odometer at the NCT says 180k but my car has 106k on the odometer. does the NCT read the CPU or is there a typo?

Do you mean you actually presented the car yourself with 10k on clock and they handed you a cert stating 180k? That would be a clear mistake then.
    If on the other hand you mean you have a cert showing 180 but car shows 160k, but you did not get it tested yourself, well that would suggest that the barber shop was open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'd contact them straight away.

I happened to notice a sign in my local nct centre this morning advising people to check their certificate for accurate mileage before they leave the test centre, so at a guess it's a regular occurrence.

Also noticed mileage now printed on the nct disk itself presumably to help against clocking of engines so it would be important for when you go to sell or trade in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I have a question regarding this.. I am looking to buy a car that has 45,000KM printed on the NCT cert (dated Jan of 2015). The car has about 82,000KM (circa 51,000miles) on it now, while viewing the car I noticed that the odometer was set to miles rather than KM, so I suspect that the NCT tester would have accidentally noted down 45,000KM rather than 45,000Miles during the previous NCT test in 2015, purely from the fact that it is a 1 owner car, and couldn't have been possible for the previous owner to drive 45,000KM in the first 6 six years he/she owned it and then in the last two do about 37,000KM. Did a cartel report and that doesn't show any discrepancy. Buying from a garage and hence couldn't verify this theory with the previous owner.

Anything to worry about or that may cause issues in the future ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

I have a question regarding this.. I am looking to buy a car that has 45,000KM printed on the NCT cert (dated Jan of 2015). The car has about 82,000KM (circa 51,000miles) on it now, while viewing the car I noticed that the odometer was set to miles rather than KM, so I suspect that the NCT tester would have accidentally noted down 45,000KM rather than 45,000Miles during the previous NCT test in 2015, purely from the fact that it is a 1 owner car, and couldn't have been possible for the previous owner to drive 45,000KM in the first 6 six years he/she owned it and then in the last two do about 37,000KM. Did a cartel report and that doesn't show any discrepancy. Buying from a garage and hence couldn't verify this theory with the previous owner.

Anything to worry about or that may cause issues in the future ?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it, I guess a simple mistake like that could easily occur. Just mention it to them during the next NCT and I don't think anything can be done now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Jim79 wrote: »

There's a disclaimer on the NCT form/cert that says you must bring any mileage discrepancy on the new cert to their attention before you leave the centre. You'd better get your skates on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

I wouldn't worry about it, I guess a simple mistake like that could easily occur. Just mention it to them during the next NCT and I don't think anything can be done now

Extremely bad advice, you have zero chance of getting it sorted then.
    What happens if he wants to sell in the meantime ?

Would you buy a motor that stated on the official NCT cert it had far more mileage ?

Extremely bad advice, you have zero chance of getting it sorted then.
    What happens if he wants to sell in the meantime ?

Would you buy a motor that stated on the official NCT cert it had far more mileage ?

But this really sounds like a genuine mistake from what the poster says, were in the OD Meter it stated 45XXXX Miles and was accidentally noted down as 45XXXX KM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's no use when a prospective buyer does a history check and doesn't bother calling you.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's no use when a prospective buyer does a history check and doesn't bother calling you.

So just break down the fact,

During NCT in 2015 it was noted down as follows,
    45XXX km rather than 45XXX miles in the NCT cert

when viewing the car yesterday it showed as,
    51XXX miles on the odometer (around 82XXX km) - again this can be changed in the system setting to show in either miles or km

so based on the above facts, you folks suggest I shouldn't purchase the car - correct ?

Any help appreciated, just want to be safe than sorry :)

• Advertisement

51XXX miles on the odometer (around 82XXX km) - again this can be changed in the system setting to show in either miles or km

so based on the above facts, you folks suggest I shouldn't purchase the car - correct ?

Also note, that I did run a cartell report and it didn't show as an discrepancy, the NCT cert matches what they have in the database

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Also note, that I did run a cartell report and it didn't show as an discrepancy, the NCT cert matches what they have in the database

Does the car have a service history, that would clear everything up?

Does the car have a service history, that would clear everything up?

Yep, based on the service history book. It indicates that the NCT is where the screw up occurred. But if this is still going to cause issues down the road, i would rather stay away from it

I don't see where an issue could arise, the worst case scenario. is that the previous owner drove from 45XXX km to 82XXX km since the car was NCT'ed and traded-in

Advertisement