Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile operator for 13 year olg

Options
  • 23-07-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a payg sim for daughters iphone 5 and dont want to pay more than €10 a month initially. With VF that will not give you any data and with 3 the no. of free calls/texts/data is low. I was looking at Lycamobile & 48 months which are both better value but I was wondering what coverage would be like in Co Louth? Would I be better off going with 3? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

€10 plan on 48 will give 1GB data 300 any network minutes and unlimited texts,dont think you will better that at the price

Cant comment regarding coverage in your area but i don't think there is much between any of the providers you mention

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Lyca mobile

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle

€9 bundle will give you

300 mins
    300 texts
    1gb data

Also at the moment you get 5gb free data with every top up so that would make it 6gb a month for as long as that offer lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

Is the tesco 15 a month an option? Unlimited calls 10gb data and you keep the 15 euro which you can use 10 of to get unlimited texts and you'll have a fiver left over for whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

Is the tesco 15 a month an option? Unlimited calls 10gb data and you keep the 15 euro which you can use 10 of to get unlimited texts and you'll have a fiver left over for whatever

I want to keep to max €10 a month for now so I think I will stick to 48 or Lyca. Am I correct in thinking they both operate off 3 network so coverage should be same as 3? Given that Lyca is cheaper and for a while gives a higher data limit is there any reason not to go with Lyca?

creedp wrote: »
    I want to keep to max €10 a month for now so I think I will stick to 48 or Lyca. Am I correct in thinking they both operate off 3 network so coverage should be same as 3? Given that Lyca is cheaper and for a while gives a higher data limit is there any reason not to go with Lyca?

They both use 3's masts but the back end servers/routing will all be done by each company themselves.

Depending on what's more important you could buy the €9 bundle giving 450 mins and 450 texts as you'll still get the 5gb data with it for now.

• Advertisement

FrostyJim wrote: »
    They both use 3's masts but the back end servers/routing will all be done by each company themselves.

Depending on what's more important you could buy the €9 bundle giving 450 mins and 450 texts as you'll still get the 5gb data with it for now.

That's an option but I think the data is probably more important to my daughter as most contact is maintained using social media or other online services. By the way I didn't see any mention of the extra 5gb of data when on website just now .. Is is still available?

That's an option but I think the data is probably more important to my daughter as most contact is maintained using social media or other online services. By the way I didn't see any mention of the extra 5gb of data when on website just now .. Is is still available?

It is, but I just spotted the expiry date. All unused free data will expire on 31/07/16

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/5gb-bonus-data

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

272-02: (old o2)
    Tesco
    Lyca

272-05: (Three's main)
    VM
    iD

You only get the old 3G network that can be slow as sh1t in places. Its slowly being taken apart. It may lead to lots of "Daddy, my snapchats wont send. Daddy fix it!". Just a heads up.

ED E wrote: »
    You only get the old 3G network that can be slow as sh1t in places. Its slowly being taken apart. It may lead to lots of "Daddy, my snapchats wont send. Daddy fix it!". Just a heads up.

There's always a catch! So to minimise the chances of 'its not working' would I be better off going with '3' or ID or VM with lower limits as the coverage and quality of service is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

There's always a catch! So to minimise the chances of 'its not working' would I be better off going with '3' or ID or VM with lower limits as the coverage and quality of service is better?

You will find just as many complaints about 3 (see their 'talk to' thread on here) and ID.Vodafone seem to have the best coverage/network but you wont get much for €10 with them.
    I'd give 48/lyca a go and if you find it no use you're not tied to a contract so no problem switching at any time

• Advertisement

NATLOR wrote: »
    You will find just as many complaints about 3 (see their 'talk to' thread on here) and ID.Vodafone seem to have the best coverage/network but you wont get much for €10 with them.
    I'd give 48/lyca a go and if you find it no use you're not tied to a contract so no problem switching at any time

Thanks. I'll give 48 a go for a month and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Basically 10E barely covers the costs for what you're asking for, TM/Lyca/48 will have blackspots of coverage, iDs network is plain broken(you cant call some other networks....) and Three themselves really need you to pay €20.

You get what you pay for really.

ED E wrote: »
    Basically 10E barely covers the costs for what you're asking for, TM/Lyca/48 will have blackspots of coverage, iDs network is plain broken(you cant call some other networks....) and Three themselves really need you to pay €20.

You get what you pay for really.

I'm hearing you! I'll see how the cheaper one works out for a couple of months and can upgrade if necessary. Thanks for advice.

Advertisement