Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatyard, 30th and 31st July

Options
  • 23-07-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

Anyone heading to the Beatyard festival next weekend in Dun Laoighaire?
    A pretty decent lineup http://www.the-beatyard.com/lineup/

Looking forward to checking out some snarky puppy. Very tight band

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Heading for the Sunday primarily for George Clinton

Looks like a nice setup there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

heading sunday too. looking forward to a few good beers and food with some tasty music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

thunderdog wrote: »
    Anyone heading to the Beatyard festival next weekend in Dun Laoighaire?
    A pretty decent lineup http://www.the-beatyard.com/lineup/

Looking forward to checking out some snarky puppy. Very tight band
    When is the shameless self-promotion plug coming? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Heading on the Saturday as well, should be a good laugh. What was it like last year? Danny Wang is a great DJ, he's on at 3 o'clock on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Easy Rod wrote: »
    When is the shameless self-promotion plug coming? :pac:

Not this time, saving my next shameless plug for ep ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Bought tickets, then realised I'm off on holidays on Saturday, Absolutely ****ing bulling.

Would love to see George Clinton, I don't think I'll ever get another chance :( gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Any stage times doing the rounds for this?

leakyboots wrote: »
    Any stage times doing the rounds for this?

here you go

http://www.the-beatyard.com/timetable/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Man what a dilemma for reggae fans this weekend, Lee Scratch Perry playing the Beatyard on Saturday or Jah Shaka at the Commercial Boat Club in Galway this Saturday too. The Galway one being a bit more affordable.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Can you believe this is happening at this very moment I type.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Went to Beatyard for the day yesterday, would be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

Good music, great food and drink options, nice crowd and overall an enjoyable day. But I feel like the festival struggled with some basic things which impacted the day for me and a few others I was with.

I felt like the festival struggled to cope with the amount of people there, very long queues for all of the toilets, quite long queues for most of the food stalls as well, the bars weren't too bad. They only had two real stages with music on them and on the main stage it could take about 30 mins of a change over in between acts which meant everyone was flooded into the Eatyard tent, which wasn't that big really. The sound in the Eatyard tent was pretty crap too and unless you were standing right in the middle you could still hear the noise of the main stage, I didn't stay at Theo Parrish for long because I thought the sound was awful.

It seemed as if there was a lot of effort put into the festival and the organisers had some great ideas and lots of really good stalls and food etc but it did feel overcrowded as the day went on IMO and as a result it was harder to enjoy all of these novelty things when there was so many people around. It felt nice and relaxed up until about 6pm but then it got pretty busy for the rest of the evening.

Danny Wang was a definite highlight for me, he is a crazy DJ! Had the entire crowd dancing despite being on at 3 o'clock in the day.

Didn't go to the after party in Wigwam because I had a feeling that would have been jammers too but would be interested to hear if it was any good!

Really enjoyed my Sunday at this. Hats off to the organisers.

Swung by the journalism debate in the Banteryard first which was an interesting way to start the day.

Then popped over to the Eatyard to see Hugh Cooney, and his alter ego DJ Vibesphere (I think)......good craic overall.

Then, mostly by accident, saw Reeps One, who is an amazing talent.

Roy Ayers was a nice way to chill out before the main event.

Then George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic played an interesting set. They started off quite hip-hop, then covered their funk back catalogue for most of the set and veered into metal territory for a bit after Maggot Brain. They genuinely didn't want to leave the stage, lots of people were popping up on the right hand of the stage telling them to get off! I had a blast anyway, crowd seemed really into it near the front where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Was at this both days - first day just with the missus, second day with our two young boys in tow.

Overall had a very pleasant time and would go again next year (and would bring kids again) - would agree though that a bit more space for their second "stage" would be a welcome improvement. On the loos front, I think lots of people didn't realise where some of the loos were - I know I only found out about one gents toilet (with urinals) at about 3pm on Sunday - even though it was in the main area.

Day One highlights were the Rubberbandits - both on stage and at Banteryard (Blindboy only). Wandered in and out of Theo Parrish a few times who seemed good although the sound complaints earlier are on the money. Saw some of Lee Scratch Perry and Snarky Puppy in amongst soaking up the atmosphere and particularly enjoyed a cheesy sing along social at the Jameson tent. Rounded the evening off going back and forth between Tensnake (whom I was really enjoying) and Boney M (more one for the missus).

Day Two we had the kids so very different day involving a lot of bubble blowing, bouncy castles and trying to work out which if any of the Scalextric cars was still working. Our five year old in particular had a great time and made various friends over the course of the day - there were plenty of younguns in attendance. Music was caught even more in passing than in the previous day - it was a poor third behind kids activities and enjoying the food stalls on our priority list. Excellent food selection - Box Burger was a new festival sight for me while old favourites like Natasha and her Vegan Kitchen, or the pizza from the Big Blue Bus were as good as ever. The hand rolled ice-cream from the Arctic Stone people was also great. The Jameson tent continued to have good tunes most of the day long and also got to "play" table tennis and table football there. Spent most of the evening chatting to friends and other random parents while our kids crawled up and down anything that seemed to be a candidate for jumping off. On the music side, honourable mention for Jape whom I've been hearing about forever but not seen - really enjoyed what I saw of them despite not knowing their stuff.

Advertisement