Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM ate my card bank wants me to foot the bill for a new one

• 23-07-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My card has been eaten by an ATM in spar this afternoon, I phoned the bank to ask them what the story was and was told there was no problem with your card or account it must have been the ATM's fault. They then proceeded to ask will I issue a new one and I said yes I was then told there would be a five euro charge as "it's not their atm not their problem"

There is no branding on the atm it is covered in spar stickers the manager in the shop doesn't know who owns it he gave me a number but it's just ringing out probably cause it's a Saturday. Surely I shouldn't be liable for a footing the bill for a new card? I told them no I won't be paying it and was told no card for you. Surely this isn't right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My card has been eaten by an ATM in spar this afternoon, I phoned the bank to ask them what the story was and was told there was no problem with your card or account it must have been the ATM's fault. They then proceeded to ask will I issue a new one and I said yes I was then told there would be a five euro charge as "it's not their atm not their problem"

There is no branding on the atm it is covered in spar stickers the manager in the shop doesn't know who owns it he gave me a number but it's just ringing out probably cause it's a Saturday. Surely I shouldn't be liable for a footing the bill for a new card? I told them no I won't be paying it and was told no card for you. Surely this isn't right?

Your bank really shouldn't charge you, but they're entitled to do so I'm afraid. If it was their ATM, you'd have some ground to stand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭caviardreams

That's poor from the bank imo - which bank was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Permanent TSB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most of the banks introduced card replacement fees a few years back for lost cards etc.

People can be rather careless with them, intentionally so sometimes. They cost money to produce, so they incentivised people to take care of them.

PTSB may charge irrespective of what happened to the card, so check their terms and conditiobs. I'd imagine the staff wouldn't have much leeway to waive the fee, but it seems odd in a "no fault" situation to charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

In my case Ulster didn't charge. Lost card, reported and replaced within 48 hours.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Why? - Its no fault of the bank

And at a fiver, its a reasonable small charge and probably costing the bank more to process the cancellation, create a new card and have it delivered to customer.

A quick Google suggests that Bank of Ireland supply most Spar atm machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Call back up and just say that the card is damaged and won't work at the till they'll issue a new one for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

FrostyJim wrote: »
    More to the point, they owe OP his ATM card!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The cards get swallowed into a separate box on the ATM that doesn't require safe access. The person who has the key for the ATM will be able to retrieve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

TopTec wrote: »
    In my case Ulster didn't charge. Lost card, reported and replaced within 48 hours.

TT

From looking at my bank statements , Ulster Bank seems to own or operate most of the ATMs in small convenience stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi all,

Really?

looksee wrote: »
    Really?

Yes really.

FrostyJim wrote: »

Thanks Ill give them a call tomorrow.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Call back up and just say that the card is damaged and won't work at the till they'll issue a new one for free.

Shouldn't have to lie but ill give it a shot thanks.

Shouldn't have to lie but ill give it a shot thanks.

Eh. You've already rang them and said a machine swallowed it. That's now noted.

Jesus, its a fiver.

As above, card is in the machine, ask the store to retrieve it. My guess is that the overall manager was not there at the time and you were speaking to a duty manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccountDetail.aspx?i=414

It's not lost or stolen so you should not have to pay the €5. I would not let this drop. I would ring the competition and consumer protection commission if necessary.

If you check BOI on consumer help website they specifically say they still charge you if card gets damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I'd agree with above posters. Just go back to the shop with some id and asks them to get your card out of the machine. Same thing happened to me before and the owner just opened the machine and gave me my card. As far as I know its the shop that fills the machine with money (saves them having to go to bank to deposit), so they have keys to open the atm.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccountDetail.aspx?i=414

It's not lost or stolen so you should not have to pay the €5. I would not let this drop. I would ring the competition and consumer protection commission if necessary.

If you check BOI on consumer help website they specifically say they still charge you if card gets damaged.

Are you actually serious?

Ring consumer protection over charge of a fiver that is probably written in t and c's the op agreed to and for something that was no fault of tge op's bank?

The machine in question is not owned or operated by the op's bank. The bank has said there was no issue with his account.

Responsibility lies with the owner of the specific machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

VincePP -yes I'm very serious but if you want to give away €5 I could give you a list of charities.

PTSB are not entitled to charge on this situation as described by poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

The debit card is actually the property of the bank. It is issued to the account holder so that they can use it to take advantage of services that the bank provide. It is the card holders responsibility to keep the card safe.

As far as the bank is concerned the account holder has lost possession of the card. They will therefore deactivate the card. If the account holder wants a new one they will have to pay a fee of five Euro.

The bank do not own or control the ATM and therefore can't be held responsible. The card holder may be able to get the card back from the shop owner but if the card is already deactivated then they may still have to pay for a new card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭storker

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    The bank do not own or control the ATM and therefore can't be held responsible.

The same applies equally to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 IEG

Happened to me before as well with bank of ireland. The bank was trying to charge me a fiver too for replacement. I td them it wasnt my fault the card got sucked into the atm and i wasnt paying them. Got a new card for free

storker wrote: »
    The same applies equally to the customer.

True. But from the banks point of view they issued the card to the cardholder. How the cardholder came to lose control of the card is not their problem. If it were the banks ATM it would be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

OP - It's not your or your banks fault. It's BOI's fault. So what i suggest is that you pay the €5, get your new card, and send BOI and invoice to reclaim your money.

OP - It's not your or your banks fault. It's BOI's fault. So what i suggest is that you pay the €5, get your new card, and send BOI and invoice to reclaim your money.

Good idea how do I do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Banks you got to love them.............Ask them nicely and if they try to charge you. Say thats fine can you please close my bank account, Now ................and withdraw all you cash there and then...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

OP...you aint got a leg to stand on....Its part of your charges for 3 years..pay up time or no card time. And before we get pedantic, it is lost to the OP...so its lost.

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/legal-information/notices/charge-for-replacement-of-cards/

OP...you aint got a leg to stand on....Its part of your charges for 3 years..pay up time or no card time. And before we get pedantic, it is lost to the OP...so its lost.

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/legal-information/notices/charge-for-replacement-of-cards/

Lost and stolen credit cards nothing about card been eaten in ATM's. Or does permanent tsb think the atm stole my card? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lost and stolen credit cards nothing about card been eaten in ATM's. Or does permanent tsb think the atm stole my card? :rolleyes:

You are right, at the moment your card is neither lost nor stolen. In fact you know exactly where it is and it is up to you to get it back. If you can't, then you can claim that it is now lost (you can't reach it) or that an ATM that PTSB does not own has eaten/stolen it. Either way it is still your responsibility to either get the card back or forget about it and get a new card.

I know it sucks because the card is gone and it is not your fault but you are the one being punished. Your best bet is to go to your branch and make your case to them in person. They may be a lot more receptive to you face to face than over the phone. They may even choose to waive the fee.

Advertisement