Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM ate my card bank wants me to foot the bill for a new one

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

stevek93 -don't let this drop -don't pay the €5 - card was not lost or stolen.

If PTSB want to operate a policy like this then they would need to warn Customer's about using ATM's in shop's,garages etc. and they should inform consumerhelp website so it can update details.

This website as highlighted before explicity warn's BOI customer's that even if card is damaged they must pay charge for new card.

EBS provide one free replacement card per account holder per annum if required which is fair enough and no question's asked. Again this is highlightyed on website - consumerhelp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Cards don't just get sucked in, did you forget it in the atm?

Go into a ptsb branch and they'll order a card for you for free. Some of the advice here is shocking. Consumer helpline. Get a fecking life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

OP did you go back to the shop and ask for your card? Just talk to the manager. They might have already taken it out and kept it for you or even sent it back to whatever bank issued it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

RossieMan wrote: »

Go into a ptsb branch and they'll order a card for you for free. Some of the advice here is shocking. Consumer helpline. Get a fecking life.

Some of the advice here is directly as per their website. But of course the op can try what they like to get it free, I would. Doesn't change the fact that it's a notified charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

RossieMan wrote: »

I put in my PIN it ONCE pressed accept or enter to withdraw money and ATM displayed "card captured" an issued a receipt .

• Advertisement

fineso.mom wrote: »
    OP did you go back to the shop and ask for your card? Just talk to the manager. They might have already taken it out and kept it for you or even sent it back to whatever bank issued it.

Yes the manager in the shop does not want to take any liability whatsoever. Doesn't know who owns ATM doesn't have key to take out card yadda yadda yadda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

stevek93 wrote: »
    Yes the manager in the shop does not want to take any liability whatsoever. Doesn't know who owns ATM doesn't have key to take out card yadda yadda yadda.
    You say that the only identifying marks on the ATM were Spar labels. To my mind, that means that they are representing it as their machine. You are now in the situation where you input your PIN into their machine, and they now have your card. I'd raise hell over that.

Does your receipt indicate why the machine "captured" your card?

You say that the only identifying marks on the ATM were Spar labels. To my mind, that means that they are representing it as their machine. You are now in the situation where you input your PIN into their machine, and they now have your card. I'd raise hell over that.

Does your receipt indicate why the machine "captured" your card?

I have the receipt with card captured on it. I will go back down after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TopTec wrote: »
    In my case Ulster didn't charge. Lost card, reported and replaced within 48 hours.

TT

Ulster said 'yes'?!?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I have the receipt with card captured on it. I will go back down after work.

And if they still do nothing, sit yourself down in front of the machine and refuse to move until they return your property .

[Afterhours reply] You can even hold an insomia coffee cup too just for fun and see how much you make in the process ..... [/afterhours reply]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

FWIW, I wouldn't pay the five Euro charge to the bank either... But I wouldn't have let the shop off the hook either, as somebody has the keys to the ATM, or it wouldn't get filled with cash. So I would have waited in the shop (or returned the next morning) and demanded that the Manager investigate the issue and see if the card could be retrieved from the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm not getting the logic of not paying the fiver. Why should the OPs bank be expected to foot the bill for an incident that had nothing to do with them?

That would be like me buying something in a shop, getting it robbed off me on the street and then going back into the shop and expecting them to replace my stolen good for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TopTec wrote: »
    In my case Ulster didn't charge. Lost card, reported and replaced within 48 hours.

TT

3 times over the last 4 years I have asked Ulster Bank for a replacement card because mine was acting up in machines or Chip and Pin devices and they had no issue at all. No charge. That's shocking from PTSB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'm not getting the logic of not paying the fiver. Why should the OPs bank be expected to foot the bill for an incident that had nothing to do with them?

That would be like me buying something in a shop, getting it robbed off me on the street and then going back into the shop and expecting them to replace my stolen good for free.

Logic is simple - The Customer did nothing wrong so he should not have to pay the €5.

Your example makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

PTSB last month pro-actively informed me that my Credit Card had been compromised and needed replacement, which was free of charge.
    I asked them if for security reason they also would replace my debit card and they told me it's going to be 5€, so I declined, a couple of hours later they pro-actively informed me that my debit card had been compromised and replaced it for free. PTSB logic is not easy to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Logic is simple - The Customer did nothing wrong so he should not have to pay the €5.

What have the bank done wrong in order to foot the bill for this?

OP should pay the fiver and then request whoever is in charge of that ATM reimburse him.

Under no circumstance would i expect the bank to foot the bill for this. If they did it would be on a customer loyalty basis and the customer would be thankful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Delta2113 wrote: »

OP's bank did nothing wrong either, so there seems to be no reason why they should take the hit.

The wrong seems to be down to whoever is responsible for the ATM that retained the card.

Will phone the ATM crowd today on break and post back.

Why is everybody assuming that the OP bank did nothing wrong, just because they say that the account is in order does not mean that when the ATM asked for authorization they might not have send a response to the ATM that triggered the card to be held.

The only way to know what was happening is to ask the ATM operator for the reason that the card was held, it might be down to them (for example a malfunction) or down to the bank sending a request to held, so until the OP can get an answer from the operator everything is just speculation.

Only once the reason is known one can make a determination who should pay the 5€.

Why is everybody assuming that the OP bank did nothing wrong, just because they say that the account is in order does not mean that when the ATM asked for authorization they might not have send a response to the ATM that triggered the card to be held.

The only way to know what was happening is to ask the ATM operator for the reason that the card was held, it might be down to them (for example a malfunction) or down to the bank sending a request to held, so until the OP can get an answer from the operator everything is just speculation.

Only once the reason is known one can make a determination who should pay the 5€.

I guess you didn't read my post. :rolleyes:

I phoned the bank to ask them what the story was and was told there was no problem with your card or account it must have been the ATM's fault.

• Advertisement

I guess you didn't read my post. :rolleyes:

I phoned the bank to ask them what the story was and was told there was no problem with your card or account it must have been the ATM's fault.

That means nothing, get the info from the ATM service provider what the reason was for the card being held.

Usually such a drastic action is either down to a malfunction or an order by the issuer of the card.

Just because some person at your bank made a general statement does not mean it's true. The ATM service provider will be able to tell you the correct reason as it's part of the transaction log.

PTB phoned last Friday they replaced the card and also waved the fee. Card arrived yesterday with the PIN! This is some bank. :confused:

Advertisement