Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chester Bennington: "We kept Metal alive"

• 23-07-2016 6:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

What do you think guys. Did Linkin Park "Keep Metal Alive"

Reflecting "Hybrid Theory" and the reaction to it, Bennington said his band was partially responsible for bringing metal into the 21st century.

"I think that's really funny — just those words, 'the integrity of metal,'" he told Metal Hammer magazine. "In my opinion, we actually kept metal alive."

I'm interested in Boards opinion on this. considering that allot of conventional metal fans don't consider LP to be even Metal, But I guess what Metal is has different meaning to different people.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

To say they kept metal alive is probably an exaggeration, but they were one of the first metal bands a lot of people my age got into.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I love that album, one of my all time favourites, but I never consider as metal, for me metal was hairy guys, guitars and solos. But when I think back, this was actual my gateway into metal, as when I told some friend that I liked this a lot he said it was gay and lent me a Peace Sells cd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

GLaDOS wrote: »
    To say they kept metal alive is probably an exaggeration, but they were one of the first metal bands a lot of people my age got into.

The same for me man. Before I was into Metal I went through the Rap/Hip-Hop phase and they were like a transition band for me that took me over to the dark side.
    At that time I loved their sound of Shinoda and Bennington togetherand the crossover Rap/Metal style.

Whether you think they were Metal or not, It's hard to say they weren't one of the most influential bands of the 21 century. I was certainly influenced by them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think they're probably not wrong, Linkin Park were never really a band I was into, but there's no denying they were a bit of a gateway band for a whole generation of metal fans.

Hybrid Theory may have been the first metal album I listened to the whole way through (Didn't buy it though, just stole it from my older brother :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not really into them though I did buy Reanimation and Like a few of their sounds. I kinda like the idea of them more than the actual music.

Their sales and popularity is undeniable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_of_the_2000s_(century)

I would guess that LP mainly was a gateway band for nu metal, and people who weren't into metal before that. People into metal wouldn't have been much effected by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Links234 wrote: »
    I think they're probably not wrong, Linkin Park were never really a band I was into, but there's no denying they were a bit of a gateway band for a whole generation of metal fans.

I'm the same, while I think the quote makes the headline is for borderline trolling or just controversy in general, the kind you'd usually expect from the likes of Blabbermouth. It's hardly a stretch to say there is plenty of truth in it.

Anyways I grew up in the 90's Ash were my gateway band so what do I know! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I love that album, one of my all time favourites, but I never consider as metal, for me metal was hairy guys, guitars and solos. But when I think back, this was actual my gateway into metal, as when I told some friend that I liked this a lot he said it was gay and lent me a Peace Sells cd

men in spandex and long hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Kept metal alive? Linkin Park? Seriously?!

I never got in to that Nu Metal stuff; too old probably. But the highlight of seeing Linkin Park play in Dublin supportng Metallica around 2003/2004 was the people throwing bottles at them.

Okon wrote: »
    I never got in to that Nu Metal stuff; too old probably. But the highlight of seeing Linkin Park play in Dublin supportng Metallica around 2003/2004 was the people throwing bottles at them.

Fairly pathetic, I'm sure you'd like people coming to your job and chucking bottles at you and having others around take satisfaction from it.

I don't really care for Linkin Park myself and if a band I don't like is playing I wouldn't bother me hole with them I suggest you need to evaluate in hindsight.

seachto7 wrote: »
    men in spandex and long hair?
    Yep, so was the bizarre logic of 5th year boys :confused:

No band deserves to have stuff thrown at them.

Apart from that guy from Lostprophets, he definitely deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I don't really care for Linkin Park myself and if a band I don't like is playing I wouldn't bother me hole with them I suggest you need to evaluate in hindsight.

There's no point in having an opinion if you are going to change it because other people don't like it! However, any chance of me re-evaluating a decade later, and being older and wiser, probably went out of the window at the "We actually kept metal alive" quote!!! Although Bennington is of course entitled to his opinion.

It should also be noted that a few plastic cups and bottles bouncing around the RDS stage on a hot August Dublin evening didn't do any harm to Linkin Park; they still shipped tons of records worldwide and made plenty of money... so I reckon Chester Bennington and Linkin Park had the last laugh.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    No band deserves to have stuff thrown at them.

Apart from that guy from Lostprophets, he definitely deserves it.

I can think of one exception

There's no point in having an opinion if you are going to change it because other people don't like it!

Sorry what? Considering opinions can be formed without facts or knowledge, you're telling me you've never changed your mind on something? Not just because someone doesn't like your opinion but a number of variables altered it
    It should also be noted that a few plastic cups and bottles bouncing around the RDS stage on a hot August Dublin evening didn't do any harm to Linkin Park; they still shipped tons of records worldwide and made plenty of money... so I reckon Chester Bennington and Linkin Park had the last laugh.

They made plenty of money sure fair play to them it was far from a good experience I'd imagine, not to mention their fans who parted with money to catch Linkin Parks set only to have scumbags toss bottles at the band. Great you felt the need to note that they made plenty money to justify past actions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I can think of one exception

Just curious, Are people still using the 2010 show to beat Axl with? Even though he came back 2 years later and made up for it..

Advertisement